Stencyl Artist Trading Card (ATC) Swap! (Cards POSTED! Check latest posts!)

almyki

Cards posted!  Feel free to comment on them, check them out in the recent posts, and I'll post them up here too!  -May 31, 2011

BonBonBunny

ChibiCat

NobodyX

Strasteo

almyki

- - - - -

Swap Group Closed!  There are six (6) members in this group, so every member must make five (5) ATCs.

THEME:  Concept art of YOUR personal Stencyl/game projects

DEADLINE:  April 11th (Monday) - Should be finished and mailed by then! Extended April 25.

Artist Trading Cards are 2.5in x 3.5in (standard card size) pieces of art that you trade with other artists!  It's a fun way to share and collect art from fellow creative people.  A trade is trading ATCs between two artists, while a swap is a trade of ATCs in a group.  If you're interested in ATCs, Art Trader Magazine has lots of extra info and ATC examples.

What's this thread for?  I was hoping to organize a Stencyl ATC Swap, since we have so many creative people here.  Here's how it would work:
    • First, a theme would be chosen (check poll) . 
    • Anybody's who's interested would post here and join, with 5-7ish members being optimum.
    • A deadline would be set, and everyone would draw a unique ATC for every other member of the group, based on the theme.
    • Once the deadline comes, everyone must snail-mail all their finished ATCs to the swap leader, who then mails them to their new owners.
    • Once everyone receives their art, post here to confirm, and done!  Everyone has a handful of unique shared art =3 .
    Rules/Guidelines of ATCs
    • Size must be 2.5in x 3.5in, and should be able to fit in a standard penny sleeve.
    • Any art medium may be used, including drawing, paint, cloth/sewing, collage, digital art/photos (high-quality prints), pixel art, lithograph/prints, etc..
    • Make sure your ATC is sturdier than normal paper.  [EX] Cardstock, heavyweight paper, canvas sheet, matte board, etc..  You can buy them online, or just cut your own paper to the right size.
    • When mailing/giving to other people, please put them in a penny sleeve [EX] [EX] for protection, if possible.  They're very cheap, as low as $1 for 100 at your local hobby store, depending.  If you can't get a hold of them, I have some extras, but if you can, please do so.
    • Put your best effort into each card please.  Though they're small, you can do a lot with them, so no quick doodles or sketches slapped together.
    • Remember to put important info on the back, like your signature and the medium(s) used.
    • DON'T BE FLAKY.  Make sure before you join that you can meet the deadline, make everyone their cards, etc., etc..  Nobody wants to go through the effort of making a bunch of nice cards, but having unreliable people drop out or stall up the swap!
    • Mailing an envelope in the US costs about $0.50, and other than the swap leader everyone should only need to send one envelope.  During transit, the envelope could be bent; to avoid this, there are 'Do Not Bend' stickers, making cards out of thicker sturdy material, durable penny sleeves, and/or a stiff cardboard/etc. you could put in the envelope to keep it flat.

Info you can (but don't have to) put on the back includes
    Name/Username (important)
    Website, email
    Date
    Medium(s)
    Swap Group
    Swap Theme/Title
    Series/Title
    Card Receiver (important in a swap)
    Original/Limited Edition/Print or Copy

List of Swap Members
    almyki (Swap leader)
    Chibicat - Sent
    Hectate - Coming
    BonBonBunny - Finished
    Strasteo - Finished
    NobodyX - Sent

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please post! 

<3 ali[/list]

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:29:55 am by almyki »
    dA |

Skills:  Drawn art, writing/story concepts, drawn backgrounds.
    Preferred Games:  Visual Novels, RPGs, Simulations, Sandboxes, Dress-Ups
    Current Projects:  Pokepet Eevee!

knhirt

This is such a cool idea - are you going to scan the cards later so that we can all see how it turned out?

almyki

Yup; I'm the swap head, so I'll be getting all the cards before I send them off to their owners.  In that time, I'll scan and clean them up as 600DPI .TIFFs, send the HQ scans to their owners, and upload web-friendly 72-150DPI .PNG versions on the forum =3 .  Unless requested otherwise by anyone, who may want to scan/upload their cards themselves.

<3 ali
    dA |

knhirt

Nice. I look forward to seeing the results. Have you done this sort of thing before?

Hectate

It's always difficult to interpret someone else's work, but I'll give it a shot if it goes that way. As far as my personal projects go, well, artistically they're nothing impressive, lol.
    :
    :
    Patience is a Virtue,
    But Haste is my Life.
    Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

almyki

No I haven't BD !  But, I'm in a real-life swap currently; I got my Watercolor class to participate, so I've got about 11 cards I need to make.  There's no subject, they all just have to be in watercolor, so I've been doing a bunch of different stuff with that.  It's a lot of people, but I can make these cards anywhere (including in class, at my desk, on the couch, yay multitasking~), and it's fun since I don't feel as pressured as bigger pieces.  A big canvas or pricey sheet of watercolor paper makes me feel like I need to put something totally awesome down or else I'll 'waste it', which usually makes me freeze up and I end up not put down anything XD .

Hectate, does that mean you're joining =3 ??  And I guess that means you have no preference?  Me neither, both concepts sound good to me ^^' .

<3 ali
    dA |

almyki

Yay!  That means we only need 1-3 more for a good-sized group! 6-7 people would probably be the best number, 5 people minimum =3 .

<3 ali
    dA |

Strasteo

I'll join. :]

I'm all for supporting others via art.

Chibicat

It all comes down to one person eh, lol.

NobodyX

Sure, I'm in!

I think I might try to finish a game for the big contest here, maybe we should wait until that is over so that there might be a bit more subject matter for the cards?

almyki

Yay, this should be enough!  I'm trying to recall, I know some people expressed an interest in the original thread but the Chat subforum was EATEN D= .  I remember Winzenheimer, but no one else ^^' .  But, I'll say it now, this swap is open for one more day (until the end of Saturday, like midnight or roundabouts), so anybody who wants to join last-minute, now's the time!

Oh, you make a good point NobodyX =O .  At first I was like "Well, that's silly, in-progress games can still have cards made about them-" but then I realized that a lot of people don't post their game concepts until they're made, don't have lots of content/concept art posted, or it can be a hassle digging up reference material or posting your own stuff for others to know what to draw D= . 

In that case, it'll probably be much more convenient for the option 'Concept art of YOUR personal Stencyl/game projects' to be selected, and unless anybody objects and would prefer the other one, this will be the default instead of a coin toss.  After all, we all know what our own characters and settings look like, right? 

<3 ali
    dA |

NobodyX

In that case, it'll probably be much more convenient for the option 'Concept art of YOUR personal Stencyl/game projects' to be selected,
    Now that I think of it that would probably be best, and we could always use the other theme some time in the future when we have more finished and otherwise visible projects around.

Winzenheimer

This definitely looks fun Almyki, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to make the dead-line. Maybe next time!

almyki

That's okay, Winzenheimer, I totally understand =3 .

Sorry I didn't post earlier guys, but I updated the first post; the theme has been decided on concept art of YOUR personal Stencyl/game projects'.  Everybody has to make five.  The deadline is on April 11th, which means they should be finished and mailed by that date!  That's 3 weeks, should be more than enough time.   So, you should try to finish a few days earlier so you can make sure to be able to mail them on time once you're done.  I'll PM relevant info (my address, anything I may forget here, etc.) to everyone in a week or so. 

Remember to write on the back of the cards who each card is for, along with your username/name/etc.; if you don't, I'll assume you want them randomly assigned.

I think that's it, and have fun!  =D  Feel free to update us here on how many you're finished, ask if any other member has certain preferences (someone may like cuter art or abstract designs), and I'll also post asking how people are doing with this in a week or something.

<3 ali
    dA |