Stencyl Artist Trading Card (ATC) Swap! (Cards POSTED! Check latest posts!)

Chibicat

I think it was rather successful. Maybe we can get a few more people if we decide to do it again. :3

almyki

Yay ^_^  Anyone wanna' talk about their cards?  I'm really interested in how the cards relate to your game ideas, myself!

If we hold another Stencyl 'swap', I've got an idea that would lead to a bit less hassle from one huge group.  Next time, we could do a 'pairing up', where we gather people who are interested in doing the cards, then make them into pairs (or a triple if we end up with an odd number) .  One-on-one trades mean only one or two physical cards for each person, but they seem to go much quicker.  My one-on-one trade with someone else online took maybe two weeks, and only that long because I had final exams.  The cool thing would be even though everyone only gets a couple physical cards, it happens much quicker, everything's not held up by one or two people, and we can still all share and look at each other's cards online! 

But let's wait a bit for Stencyl to settle down now that launch has come =3 .

- - -

Yes, I am totally separating this post into SECTIONS.  I HAVE BEEN HOLDING BACK FOR A LONG TIME, NOW I WILL STOP HOLDING BACK OKAY.  ALLOW ME TO GUSH LIKE I HAVE NOT GUSHED YET. HERE.  IN THIS THREAD.

BONBONBUNNY why are you so cute?!?!?!?!!!  I loved all the cards I got, but YOURS WERE MY FAVORITE.  Like, as a whole.  XD  I'm curious, must know more about what games these are for!  They are all so colorful and beautiful!  And like, in mine, with the flowers, and the gentle colors, it's just OMG.  I especially want to know about Mr. Purple.  I'm guessing THIEF.  Somehow.

Chibicaaat, I had no idea you were so great with traditional art!  Those pencil drawings, the lines are so sharp and crisp and detailed and my favorite is the one with the top hat!  The watercolors were cool too, and I'm also new to watercolors (I'm pretty sure you said you're new to them, right?) .  It's cool how different they are in style.  Mine was the one with the little ghosty-like thing, it is so cute and I like the flares of energy-like stuff coming out, it adds happy warmth.

NobodyX, why were you so worried?  You've got really interesting stuff, and a neat style =D .  I feel like... 'grunge' somehow, like I don't know, makes me think of industrial themes and steampunk somehow.  It looks like you've got some really original concepts, I'm totally curious what's going on with each of these cards.  My favorite is the one with the crystals!  The one I got, with the purple cubes and slime-like green thing, I have no idea what's going on but it looks like all hell has broken loose XD .  It makes me think of an alien war.

Strasteo, pixel art was a pretty original choice, and I'd love to see you upload your own files since seeing a printed version and a digital version is so different!  I really liked the Spring & Autumn game, the graphics and the gameplay function were so pretty.  It was my favorite for that jam, if memory serves correctly!  I got the green girl, she seems a little gloomy but I think that suits me in a lot of ways XD .  Their naturey-tree-arms (it seems that's what they are) are cool.

I am eagerly awaiting Hectate's cards so I may finish my first Stencyl swap collection =3 .  I'll let you guys know when I get them in the mail!  Please send me your addresses via PM in the meantime, I am pretty sure my envelopes were thrown away (I leave my junk everywhere, so stuff-that-looks-like-trash ~mysteriously disappearing~ is not uncommon) .

Thank you so much you guys, I really loved my cards and this swap, despite the hiccups!  Before I got into ATCs, I don't recall ever really owning anyone else's artwork, or being given any.  After seeing a lot of you for so long on the forums, it's nice to have something so physical from some of you -^____^-V .

- - -

I'll talk a bit about my cards, though they're pretty 'informative' all on their own XD .  I went with my RPG idea 'Eclipse' (used to be called Kaegishik), from waaayyy back.  I made cards for each of the main party characters, and one of them (the pink one) I kept for myself since I only had to make 5.  The borders and stuff... ugh so awful.  They were the last thing I did, and I was trying to go for a 'simplistic look', which seemed to work at first, but then... and then... Blah.  Sorry. 

I like the way I drew Minki, the roguey assassin, best here, and Dei, the pink priest-kid, least (so I kept that one).  They are all 100% stereotypical!  XD  Sunjung is your typical brash honorable swordsman hero-guy, Jungsu is your typical gentle peace-loving weepy damsel-in-distress, Haneul is that one anti-social angsty mage/intellectual/snob, Mihi is the girly pretty eye-candy sunshine-chic with mysterious blessed powers (orsumthing), and that old veteran Minki hides in the shadows being suspicious and ambiguously vague.

And they all have annoying Korean names that start sounding really similar (except Dei) and have unclear pronunciations.  You're welcome.  Ohyeah, and speaking of, and Dei is that obligatory precocious youth, with his head in the clouds and the tendency to end sentences in ellipses...

...This game is like never gonna' be made.  It is like sooo far down the road.  XD   But it's the only idea I had any inspiration to draw for at the time =P .  I hope you guys liked them ^_^ .

<3 ali

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:24:28 pm by almyki »
dA |

Skills:  Drawn art, writing/story concepts, drawn backgrounds.
Preferred Games:  Visual Novels, RPGs, Simulations, Sandboxes, Dress-Ups
Current Projects:  Pokepet Eevee!

Hectate

I'll try and post the images this evening - if not then tomorrow morning for sure.

Unfortunately I have to admit I have not had the opportunity to send them. Please don't hunt me down and hurt me! lol This week(end?) I should be able to get some time to attend to it.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

Here are the original, full-scale images. Obviously, the process of printing them (even though I had FedEx Office do them much nicer than I can do myself) reduced the quality of the actual copies. Note that all these are 1050x750 but I used the settings on the IMG tag to shrink them. Viewing the actual image would be advised if you want to see any small detailing I suppose.

The above card is a representation of the nine elements of the Crystal Empire - a RPG world-building experiment that I did. I chose to redo the classical elements for a couple of reasons, partly to fit the cultural background of the inhabitants, but more importantly I wanted something that players hadn't been exposed to before, so that they would have to learn the elements and their interactions from scratch rather than building off of the "4 Classic Elements" commonly seen in RPG games. The elements are, clockwise from the top and ending in the center; Air, Fire, Magma, Metal, Stone, Earth/Dirt, Water, Ice, and Crystal.

This above image is the Desert of Kadesh - the setting for a science fiction story I've been working on that will have interactive elements via Flash games embedded in the (online) text.

This is a night-vision view of a sniper game mockup that I've been working on and off as well.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

NobodyX

:)
I just got my cards now! Hooray!

Chibicat

I got my cards too :O
They are awesome :3

BonBonBunny

HOORAY EVERYONE! O3O

The gushing was omg so cute Ali. XD  I'm so happy seeing you so happy!  It's like one giant circle of HAPPY.

Strasteo

Oh, I guess I should post my 'originals', if no one objects to it. @_@

I got NobodyX's hippie and robot~ Both really cool, I like the difference in character, they look quite suited for a game of sorts.
I got the spider from Chibicat, which, contrary to my arachnophobia, I like quite a bit! RPG monster?
I also enjoyed almyki and Bridget's characters. I enjoy the stats written out and personality shown by almyki's Sunjung. I also liked the 'movement' and color scheme of Bridget's prince. Neat style from both!

Chibicat

I swear girls are better at drawing chibi characters then guys. It must be a natural skill in the genetics :o

I got almyki's Princess Dancer which is cute, i like the moon on the forehead. Very nice, and the back card is interesting too, must be special paper which looks hard to write on, lol.

Bridget's is very colorful, I really like how she blends the colors together like on the cheeks and the lipstick and really good on the hair.

Nobody's has really good shading on the rounder characters, even thought of the light reflecting off the ground making the edge of the back light up. Nice.

Strasteo's has good curvy designs around the picture and some interesting characters. I like the little stacked monsters, I wanna push um over.

I got the spider from Chibicat, which, contrary to my arachnophobia, I like quite a bit! RPG monster?

Platformer, it's on Forge>Newest if you wanna check it out, lol.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:45:09 am by Chibicat »

YellowWolf

Can I participate?

I just need to know how much 2.5in x 3.5in is in pixels in MS Paint (yes I'm a pixel guru).
Signature :S

Strasteo

Hello, YellowWolf!

I don't know if I can say this with absolute certainty, but we've just finished our first official "swap". I think almyki might plan another one soon, so be sure to keep an eye out.

Also, for your MS Paint problem, do a CTRL + E, which will bring up an Attributes window. There should be a Units box which has Inches, Cm, and pixels. Select the inches option and all you need to do is put in 2.5 and 3.5 in the appropriate width x height boxes.

I have MS Paint for Vista, so I don't know if things are the same in later or earlier versions, but I hope it helps.

almyki

...Good God I have left this thread too long @_@ .  I kept meaning to post, but ever since launch it's like "Oh, but do this other thing first, and finish that task...  I'll get to that eventua- -snore-" rinse and repeat. OTZ

I have yet to receive Hectate's cards by the way, but will inform you when I do.  Speaking of, Hectaaate this is so so SO belated, but wow your cards are all so different XD !  I am a sucker for RPGs and twists on magic/element/etc. systems, but I like landscapes like the Desert of Kadesh too.  Especially with the big moon/planet/thing there, scenes like that look so exotic.  I really want to see how they look printed out, since things are so different when printed and when digital!

Speaking of, Strasteo, your cards were interesting as printed cards, but the digital is just totally different, blows my mind!  I kind of prefer the digital versions, they're so crisp and pixelly XD .  Thanks for sharing them, definitely different to see both versions.

Nobody else but Hectate posted the concepts for their games behind the pictures, so I don't understand any of them D= .  I guess it's supposed to be a surprise then...

YellowWolf, Strasteo is right, our swap just about ended.  I'm not sure if *I* want to host the next one, since after Stencyl launched I've gotten kind of involved with Stencyl-related projects, but if anybody else is open to trying, I have no objections! 

<3 ali

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:02:21 pm by almyki »
dA |

Skills:  Drawn art, writing/story concepts, drawn backgrounds.
Preferred Games:  Visual Novels, RPGs, Simulations, Sandboxes, Dress-Ups
Current Projects:  Pokepet Eevee!

Chibicat

If someone is willing to host the 2nd one then I will host the 3rd one, once I get into my place for college then I have enough time to wait for the cards to come in and send them. If we do not have a 2nd one by then I can host it then, just that right now I am moving around too much.