Swim [Build 004 - 17/12/12]

Any Flash game suffers from the same issue on Linux, as far as I know.
I've noticed the problem in Chrome, but not Firefox.

KungFuFurby

The solution to that long delay between opening and loop problem has been sent via PM in the form of a screenshot... and a bit of code. It utilizes a modified version of HNF's FlxSound to get the job done, and uses both attributes and game attributes. The delay is no longer really long, although it still has a bit of a delay, though it is no longer affected really badly by slowdown.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Chrisis1993

Quick bugreport for #5593(Swim b003) v3:

[Movement/physics]
- You can easily get inside any solid area by pressing both direction keys simultaneously if the solid tile is located diagonally of your position, and there is free space in both of the directions that create that diagonal direction.

[Power Ups]
- The movement power up, the one located bottom left in room B, is acting buggy, as it doesn't want to activate anymore after.. something :P
[Scene Switching]
- Instantly going back to the scene you just were in seems to crash/stuck the game.
This applies for:
Room A>Room B>Room A
Room B>Room A>Room B
Room A>House A>Room A

[Scenery/physics]
- Going from Cave A to Room B you start on a grass tile, a little odd as they usually appears to be solid.

Keep up the awesome work! :)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:21:23 pm by Chrisis1993 »
▼IS AWESOME!!▼

SuperJosh64

Thanks for all your comments guys, I've replied in the bold navy sections!
Any Flash game suffers from the same issue on Linux, as far as I know.
I've noticed the problem in Chrome, but not Firefox.

Hmmm, interesting. Regardless, this shouldn't be a problem with the end result if customised controls are put into place. I believe I've seen NobodyX achieve this, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The solution to that long delay between opening and loop problem has been sent via PM in the form of a screenshot... and a bit of code. It utilizes a modified version of HNF's FlxSound to get the job done, and uses both attributes and game attributes. The delay is no longer really long, although it still has a bit of a delay, though it is no longer affected really badly by slowdown.

Holy wow! Thanks Furby, I'll be sure to implement it ASAP. Definitely something to look forward to for the next build :)

Quick bugreport for #5593(Swim b003) v3:

[Movement/physics]
- You can easily get inside any solid area by pressing both direction keys simultaneously if the solid tile is located diagonally of your position, and there is free space in both of the directions that create that diagonal direction.

Indeed, this has been a problem from the beginning that I kept sweeping under the carpet. I was trying all sorts of weird and wonderful ways to solve this previously. Funnily enough, I found a mega super easy solution which I built more or less immediately after I posted Build 003 :P

[Power Ups]
- The movement power up, the one located bottom left in room B, is acting buggy, as it doesn't want to activate anymore after.. something :P

This is not exclusive to this Power Up... it's something else being odd which pops up under 'some' circumstance. Unfortunately I have not been able to pin-point it yet :'( I have a feeling it's something to do with the Power Ups that you have to hold space to use, but I'm not entirely sure.

[Scene Switching]
- Instantly going back to the scene you just were in seems to crash/stuck the game.
This applies for:
Room A>Room B>Room A
Room B>Room A>Room B
Room A>House A>Room A

Another problem I was aware of, but lazy to fix haha! I promise the solution will be in Build 004.

[Scenery/physics]
- Going from Cave A to Room B you start on a grass tile, a little odd as they usually appears to be solid.

You make a good point, this is easily solved by chaning the position the Player is placed after that scene :)

Keep up the awesome work! :)

Thank you Chris - and thank you for the time you took to write out this valuable feedback and bug finding! You keep up the awesome work!

Keep any feedback or questions you have coming my way! While procrastinating today I finally discovered an effective way for the enemy AI to tell whether the player is within "sight". Now it's a matter of programming the correct movements and coordinating attacking the player. Fingers crossed all goes to plan :)

Have a great week!

irock

The game's coming along nicely! I seriously cannot wait until it's finished.

SuperJosh64

Surprise!

It's been far too long since I've dropped a line to say hello to the beloved Stencyl community, let alone give an update on the progress of Swim for well over a year! I expect that much has changed in my absence, so I may as well start from the start:

Who are you?
My name is Josh. I'm a 22 year old Australian Uni student who's generally busy with life, but will never stop loving video games. Like most of you here, I'd love nothing more than to make my own game!

Why did you disappear?
First off, this isn't my first offence. Prior to last year I did another disappearing act for even longer. I dedicate a lot of my time to my studies, as well as the extra curricular activities that comes with being a Uni student. But this isn't the only excuse. I'm sure you can all sympathise that it's hard to keep motivated when making a large-scale game, and it sometimes takes one little roadblock to give up for quite some time. This was a very minor thing, but it was enough to put Swim on hold and worry about other things in life.

The roadblock? Drawing the enemy's death animation. That's it. No cracking some complex code, but it was enough to tip me over the edge and forget about Swim for a while. Weeks to months later I'd try again, but nothing would work! It all looked bad, whatever I tried.

A year down the track (ironically, during my final exams in November), I was inspired. An idea struck me and for the first time in months I drew. And there it was. My motivation came fuddling back to me, and soon after exams had finished I was back to work. I upgraded to Stencyl 2 started building Behaviours again. The last week or so I've been almost abnormally motivated, to the point where I rather be working on Swim than playing the new shiny Wii U (which is awesome by the way).

I hope to be back, but it will always be in a limited capacity. None the less, I hope that the accumulation of my efforts can be enjoyed - even if they never reach the lofty heights of my original intentions.

Some more info about the history of Swim can be found in the original post! But now, without further ado...

SuperJosh64

Work in Progress!
Music by KungFuFurby
Build 004
Enemy AI
Player damage
Knock-back, weight and inertia 'physics'
Spawn random/controlled spoils on defeat
HUD signals when you can talk or read
HUD fades when the player is at top of the screen
Refined movement
Refined Power Up handling
New NPC dialogue Behaviour (modified from the RPG Platformer Kit by Luyren)
Shadows
New music track and sound effects
More variety in environment

Developmental Notes 18/12/12
I'm not going to lie. Quite a lot of elbow grease was needed to get this bad boy on the road again. I've completely redeveloped the Power Up component of the game. It looks identical to what it did in past builds, but it shouldn't glitch up like it did. Same with the movement, once upon a time it was really easy move into solid objects diagonally - but not any more. Many of these things are thanks to the advancements Stencyl has made too!

Most exciting is the enemy AI! What was always a daunting thought when I first started Stencyling is now a reality. Enemies will track you down like nobody's business! It was a bit of a task, due to the nature of the movement in the game, but with a bit of determination I think I have it working nicely. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the combat! I did chuck you all in the deep end with the 3 enemies in one room, but you can't get a game over so we'll call it even, right?

I've left most of the explaining up to the NPCs in the game, so I won't go on for much longer. One thing I do desperately want an opinion on are the shadows. I can't decide whether I like them or not. If you hit the 'J' Key you'll be able to turn them on/off - it would be fantastic if you could let me know what you prefer!

And the final query I'd like you to consider is frame rate. The first scene averages around 30fps for me, but 60 everywhere else. How does it handle on everyone else's end? Any point where the game is unplayable? Despite turning off physics of a number of actors, the frame rate can take a big hit with the large amount of actors (most of which are invisible) that are needed to keep you from straying into solid rock!

Comments, questions, bugs and feedback is always much appreciated. I'm currently on holidays, so I hope to be a little more active while I still can!

Thanks everyone, I hope you've enjoyed build 004 of Swim! Fingers crossed that build 005 doesn't take another year!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:52:36 am by SuperJosh64 »

Joe

Glad to see you back, and thanks for the progress update!

dtrungle

The first scene gave me ~20 fps. I kinda ragequitted  :'( when I talked to the guy again and I couldn't 'close' the conversation. And I find it strange how holding right speeds it up, it should all be one button.

Blob

Cool to see you back again!
I like the update, the shadows, and the enemy AI, but the enemies themselves are too fast and durable to coincide with the tile-based movement and careful WASD-based attacks, even 1-on-1, at least for any early part of the game. The frame rate is also pretty bad for me, at around 25fps in the first scene, but you can probably find ways to optimize it. I think I'd find it preferable if there were an option to make the attacks hit relative to the direction I was facing so I only have to focus on one attack button.

Nice work!

coleislazy

This is one of my favorite Stencyl projects! Glad to see you're working on it again! I like the shadows, and the frame rate was solid for me (I didn't check it, but it didn't feel like anything was wrong). The combat is difficult, though. I don't think enemies should be able to end up on the same space as you. Other than that, its looking great!

spoogob

Tried this earlier today, but found performance  rather slow, was under 15fps on my home pc.

SuperJosh64

Thanks for your support guys.

I was worried that the frame rate would be an issue, like some of you I was lucky enough to play through without too many issues - but it looks like it's a little too much for most computers.

I was able to quickly optimise the first scene in a mad rush before leaving home, so the game should be playable now. Just to clarify: was every scene, including the house scenes, unplayable? Or just the first scene?

I've also reduced the amount on enemies by 1, so you should be able to tackle them on 1-on-1. Bad game design to bombard the player like I did before haha!

The first scene gave me ~20 fps. I kinda ragequitted  :'( when I talked to the guy again and I couldn't 'close' the conversation. And I find it strange how holding right speeds it up, it should all be one button.

Sorry about that dtrungle - hopefully the updated version will be playable for you. I agree that a different button to speed up the text is a little strange, but I was having issues getting it right with just the one button. I'll put a little extra effort to get it right for b005!
the enemies themselves are too fast and durable to coincide with the tile-based movement and careful WASD-based attacks, even 1-on-1, at least for any early part of the game.
I think I'd find it preferable if there were an option to make the attacks hit relative to the direction I was facing so I only have to focus on one attack button.

Thanks Blob! It's hard to get a good understanding on how people will find the movement and combat will be, having become so familiar with the controls over the years. I'll tweak the AI so that they're a little easier to beat - my problem was that I programmed to a suitable level they would be in the final product of the game... and I always intended these guys to be tough! A poor decision, but an easy fix (hopefully to come within the next 12 hours)

I agree with you about the attack button. Realistically, this game should be playable on a NES controller. I guess the reason why the controls are as they are is because I simply didn't know how to make Nett attack in the direction he was facing when I first started... however many years ago. Now with a bit more Stencyl knowledge I can probably think of a solution.

There are advantages of having the 4 directions assigned to different buttons, and I personally have grown fond of it. But I can certainly understand that it is not intuitive and against what most gamers would expect. Naturally, making the option to chose either would be the best solution, I'll see what I can do!
The combat is difficult, though. I don't think enemies should be able to end up on the same space as you.

Thank you cole! I now regret not working on a more basic enemy to begin with. T reason why I started with the Ninja Starfish is due to it's small size. It was the easiest to understand what was going on when it moved. The least I could have done for first time users was to slow it down and make it damageable while moving.

I was going to address the issue of enemies 'hovering' over the top of you, waiting until you can be hit again... but I'm not sure why I didn't. Thinking about it, it shouldn't be too hard to fix this so that they'll give you some space after landing a hit.

Apologies again for the horrible frame rate. Hopefully my quick band aid fix will tide you over until I can get home and put a little more effort into it - as I'm currently typing all this on a train heading to the city. Thanks to all for your comments, every bit of feedback is very much appreciated, and - as funny as it sounds - it's good to hear people having some difficulty with the game. Hopefully I'll be able to refine and polish everything into a more streamlined experience soon!

KungFuFurby

It's nice to hear some progress from you. ;D I've actually been all jammed up schedule-wise.

You can pass through some of the aformented "impassable" obstacles after injuring yourself trying to do so... those spiked green things are the ones I speak of. I don't think that was intended.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games