Why can't I be beautiful?

Uxizaado

Hello, I'm pretty much a beginner in Stencyl, though I have been using it for a while. (never very seriously, unfortunately). I like coding, and spriting, but I'm not good at either T.T

I just spent quite a bit of time on this sprite, (Stayed up til two then woke up at 9 to finish, but I'm sure this is nothing new) and it. looks. horrible. I followed a fakemon tutorial, and did everything to the letter, and still my sprite looks like garbage. .-.

My questions: WHY?? Where did I go wrong? I think the outline (The hands, arms, feet and ears specifically) are my biggest mistake, but I couldn't get it right no matter how much I fiddled with it. Any tips? Something I'm missing? Why can't I be beautiful too?

"Quotes are for dumb people who can't think of something intelligent to say on their own." - Bo Burnham.

osiaslemuel

If you're just starting to learn to draw game arts, Have patience and watch more tutorials and practice.
If that Fakemon tutorial is too hard for you and you spent many hours on it, try to do easy tutorials first, this will make you comfortable on the software you use and maybe you could learn more techniques on making your art better.

Start with the basics so when you complete severals of them you'd be confident enough to move on.
also, starting with a specific art style will make things easier for you.
Just remember to have confidence and have patience in following tutorials.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:47:42 am by osiaslemuel »

vikingpotato

A wise artist told me, start by copying art you like..

osiaslemuel

start by copying art you like..
I always did these when I'm just starting to learn.
But if you want to do original game arts, always look for references

Vigilence

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:13:12 am by Vigilence »

Uxizaado

Have patience and watch more tutorials and practice.
try to do easy tutorials first

Start with the basics so when you complete severals of them you'd be confident enough to move on.
also, starting with a specific art style will make things easier for you.
Just remember to have confidence and have patience in following tutorials.  ;D

Yeah, I kinda jumped into the deep end with this fakemon tutorial,  :-\ mainly because it's something I'm really interested in... So I guess I'll just start out easy like you said :)

So I should start by copying pokemon that I like the look of? Or other fakemon? Lol or does it not matter?

Try these pixel tutorials out.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

and character tutorials

http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/

I definitely will!:D

Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is why I love the Stencyl community :D
Could somebody give me some criticism on my sprite? What you like, what you didn't like? Just so I can keep that in mind, and not develop a bad habit. :)
"Quotes are for dumb people who can't think of something intelligent to say on their own." - Bo Burnham.

Vigilence

The colors are a bit flat and the sprite lacks volume (it also looks flat like paper mario).

Uxizaado

The colors are a bit flat and the sprite lacks volume (it also looks flat like paper mario).

Yeahh I really need to work on my colors...  :-\ I noticed that right when I was done.. But thanks :)

Uxizaado

Okay, so I did a really simple tutorial on 'Scratching' and making a blob, so I made my first ever gif:

Uxizaado

Very nice!
Thanks :D It took longer than expected but it's all a learning experience, right?

twotimingpete

this is basically what I did (and sometimes still do).

lazyboygames

Okay, so I did a really simple tutorial on 'Scratching' and making a blob, so I made my first ever gif:

Good job. That is actually pretty good.

The only tip I can give you is to start with less pixels. Like maybe a 16 x 16 character sprite, and to work up from there. Why? Because:

1. It really makes you focus on how to get the most out of each pixel since you have pretty much no space to waste.
2. The simplicity makes it not too difficult to make.

Uxizaado

Good job. That is actually pretty good.

The only tip I can give you is to start with less pixels. Like maybe a 16 x 16 character sprite, and to work up from there. Why? Because:

1. It really makes you focus on how to get the most out of each pixel since you have pretty much no space to waste.
2. The simplicity makes it not too difficult to make.
Thanks! :D It was surprisingly easier than expected :)
And I'll do that, I normally don't like to start out small, but I never really get anywhere unless I do lol
I think I'm going to look up examples of 16x16 sprites, so I can also do what everyone else is saying and copy other people's artwork (for practice of course :P )

Thanks a ton for the feedback :)