Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Attribute Saving [Extension]

betofantasioso

Hi GeorgeN,

Your extension is really cool thanks for sharing. I'm new in Stencyl and I was wondering if I can use it to save any given game list.

Can I do that with the extension as well? I still cannot figure out how I could do it.

GeorgeN

Hi GeorgeN,

Your extension is really cool thanks for sharing. I'm new in Stencyl and I was wondering if I can use it to save any given game list.

Can I do that with the extension as well? I still cannot figure out how I could do it.

You can use it to store Game Attributes,Normal Attributes or custom things without using attributes.
Is on to do list to write a good documentation for this extension. For now what problems do you have?

ErLuiSS

i have one question.. this extension is for the same use than attributes? if is the same.. why no use attributes?

GeorgeN

i have one question.. this extension is for the same use than attributes? if is the same.. why no use attributes?
Is for saving attributes into device(computer or phone)

Leaufai

George, I have two questions:
-Can this be used to make an external save file on Windows?
-Can this be used to easily make a high or unlimited number of saves?

GeorgeN

George, I have two questions:
-Can this be used to make an external save file on Windows?
-Can this be used to easily make a high or unlimited number of saves?

Normally it saves the attributes in an external file. In flash is in a place where all the SharedObjects are saved(something like browser cookies). But I don't know where are these files for windows builds.

Yes you can specify the filename(look at the first picture-> MyGame is the filename) and you can make something like MyGame001,MyGame002. Basically the filename is a string/text so you can put there whatever you like.

Leaufai

Thanks for the amazingly quick response. Glad both options are possible, as for some games unlimited and external saves are just essential (in my case a tower building game). Going to download this and learn it in and out.

EDIT: Got multiple saves working like a dream. As a test, I easily filled up my SharedObjects folder with two dozen save files. Didn't get it to work on Windows though, but on this PC that seems to be unrelated to this Extension. Maybe better luck on my other rig.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:12:32 pm by Leaufai »

Leaufai

Didn't edit this in above to increase visibility.

Got the Windows compiling to work. Updating to the latest release worked for some reason. I can indeed confirm that saving works for Windows. I also found the location of the savegame:

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Stencyl\GAMENAME

This is at least the case with test builds. I don't have Studio so I don't know how it works if you build a standalone executable.

The location for the Flash test build saves is here. Couldn't find those of the standalone SWFs though.

%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\

Maybe interesting to put in the OP, George.

GeorgeN

I'm glad you manage to work it out and I hope your saving file system will work :D

This is the extension I'm using the most because I'm not satisfied with Stencyl saving system.

Blobzone

Hey GeorgeN,

i wanted to ask whether your extension works with older versions of Stencyl? Or do i need to use 3.xx?

SadiQ

Extensions were not available prior to version 3.0 so they will not work with version 2.2.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

GeorgeN

As SadiQ said, the extensions were introduced in Stencyl 3.xx (haxe).

Blobzone

Ah ok, allrighty then. Well i should install 3.0 anyways soon, but still got some unfinished games.

Hmmm on the other side (i dont wanna abuse this thread)

but do you guys know how to reduce lags while saving? (Because everytime i have a game with save files,it laggs a bit while saving)

GeorgeN

Ah ok, allrighty then. Well i should install 3.0 anyways soon, but still got some unfinished games.

Hmmm on the other side (i dont wanna abuse this thread)

but do you guys know how to reduce lags while saving? (Because everytime i have a game with save files,it laggs a bit while saving)
First of all we are not using older versions of Stencyl, and as far I remember games made in Stencyl 2.x were slow. And second, personally, I'm using this extension to save just the things I want to save and not the whole Game Attributes.

sideofcode

I get an Action Script error (#2134: Cannot create SharedObject) when I try to use this extension.

I created and attached a simple test game. You can increment or decrement a test attribute, switch between normal or extension saving, and save or load the test attribute. Logs attached as well.