Randomly generated player actor appearance? [solved]

Crowley

Hello all. Nice to meet everyone. :)

So I'm working on my first game, of the raise-your-pet variety (of the same genre as Princess Maker). The problem is, a lot of the appeal would be on the player actor's appearance being randomly generated, and changing throughout the course of the game. I was thinking I could animate individually the different components that could compose the pet (wings, body, head, that sort of thing) and that there could be a percentage chance that a trait from each set would appear on your actor at the beginning of the game.

Of course, that wouldn't be the end of it. These traits would change depending on player choices and the time played. So, my question is - 1) Is this possible or is there a strong possibility I'll run into unforeseen bugs? - and 2) More importantly, is the size of all these animations, most of which won't be used in a single game, going to bog down my game? That's in addition to different endings and your usual dungeons.

Thanks; I just wanted to ask before I went through all the trouble animating all this, only to discover it won't work!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:46:10 pm by Crowley »

Sunflower

Well, first of all, I see no reason for it to be buggy. I mean, Stencyl still has some issues (quite a lot, probably), but this particular matter should work OK. Also, if there's one pet for the whole game, it shouldn't cause great problems with performance. About the size of animations: well, the problem is how much animations to load, right? So it's up to you to decide which amount of animations would be problematic, would it be 10 MBs, 20 MBs or so. ^^'

If you worry about performance, size of animations is even less concern; after all, you're going to show only one animation at once, aren't you? And random generation of these shouldn't occur so often that it would make game unplayable (you aren't going to make it generate right when pet is e.g. jumping, are you?).

I'm not sure if my answer is appropriate, so if it is, sorry then. I'm just not sure if I really understood what you meant. ^^'

Crowley

No, thanks. I'm not very familiar with the capabilities of Stencyl, so I just wanted to double check before I got too far into this. If what you're saying is true, then I should just be fine if I set all the other trait animations to be removed/killed if they're not chosen, right?

Sunflower

In fact it's even more simple. When you have actor, you can add more than one animation to it. So you can have actor "Wing", actor "Legs", actor "Spikes", actor "Ultra-h4x0ry device" and so on, and each of them would be responsible for each part. So if you have, let it be:
 - legs
 - body
 - hands
 - wings
 - head
This would mean 5 actors. If you wanted to have e.g. randomly generated eyes (except head shape), it would mean sixth actor and so on. Generally, the more parts are randomized, the more actors you would need, BUT even when you have 1000 animations of wings, they can be all contained in one actor.

I'd recommend you to choose any single randomly generated trait at first, and try to make some animations for it, but only within one actor. You have "Animations" tab in each actor, and you can have there as many animations as you want.

Crowley