The Greatest Book You Have Ever Read

lazyboygames

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. First time I got my mind blown by a book.

Every time I go the bookstore I see books from The Dark Tower series and am always about to pick it up but then decide not to. This has been going on for months. I love Stephen King so I am sure I will enjoy them.

QCP

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. First time I got my mind blown by a book.

Every time I go the bookstore I see books from The Dark Tower series and am always about to pick it up but then decide not to. This has been going on for months. I love Stephen King so I am sure I will enjoy them.

If you like Stephen King you should check out anything by Joe R. Lansdale.

captaincomic

I really need to read Stephen King, he's been on my TO-READ list far to long...

The best book that I've read recently was Haruki Murakami - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I don't even know how to describe it or what it is about, but it was great :)

MyChairHasALooIn

My reading journey was ruined at a young age by access to my step-fathers gargantuan collection of sci-fi (and every 2000ad from issue 2 onwards).

But as an adult my favourite authors are Peter F Hamilton, for his so-far 3 awesome series, two of which share a universe, the very recently deceased (two days ago) Iain M Banks for his culture novels and really really unusual real-world fiction, Alastair Reynolds terminal world/hyperion stories are kind of awesome, and everything by the grand masters of sci-fi, Clarke and Asiimov.

My favourite story as a young child was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which is currently being hollywoodified, thankfully Harry Potter was not around at the time.

gruffman

In no particular order

Ann Rule was a writer working on the biggest story of her life, tracking down a brutal mass-murderer. Little did she know that the young man who was her close friend was the savage slayer she was hunting.

Ted Bundy was everyone's picture of a natural 'winner' - handsome, charming, brilliant in law school, successful with women, on the verge of a dazzling career. On January 24, 1989 Ted Bundy was executed for the murders of three young women; he subsequently confessed to taking the lives of a least thirty-five more young women, coast to coast.

This is his story - the story of his magnetic power, his unholy compulsion, his demonic double life, and his string of helpless victims. It was written by a woman who thought she knew Ted Bundy, until she began to put all the evidence together, and the whole terrifying picture emerged...

Top Mafia hit man. Doting father. For 30 years, Richard 'the Ice Man' Kuklinski led a double life beyond anything ever seen on The Sopranos, becoming one of the most notorious professional assassins in American history while hosting neighbourhood barbecues in suburban New Jersey.

Kuklinski was Sammy 'the Bull' Gravano's partner in the killing of Paul Castellano, John Gotti hired him to kill his neighbour and he was also intimately involved in the killing of Jimmy Hoffa. He conducted this sadistic business with cold-hearted intensity, never disappointing his customers. For an additional price, he would make his victims suffer. By his own estimate, he killed over 200 men, taking enormous pride in his cunning and the ferocity of his technique.

The Ice Man is a blood-chilling insight into the mind of one of the world's most prolific contract killers.

Movie out very shortly based on the Iceman, but I imagine the book would be more shocking still.
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

aroncruce

I just read hitchhikers guide for the first time, it was amazing and so funny.

I started reading Enders Games and I am blown away thus far!

lazyboygames

I really need to read Stephen King, he's been on my TO-READ list far to long...

The best book that I've read recently was Haruki Murakami - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I don't even know how to describe it or what it is about, but it was great :)

Just read a brief summary of what it is and I still don't understand  :P Something about two parallel universes where one is a dream and the other has the world ending?

It sounds really interesting and so I ordered it.

GeorgeN

My reading journey was ruined at a young age by access to my step-fathers gargantuan collection of sci-fi (and every 2000ad from issue 2 onwards).

But as an adult my favourite authors are Peter F Hamilton, for his so-far 3 awesome series, two of which share a universe, the very recently deceased (two days ago) Iain M Banks for his culture novels and really really unusual real-world fiction, Alastair Reynolds terminal world/hyperion stories are kind of awesome, and everything by the grand masters of sci-fi, Clarke and Asiimov.

My favourite story as a young child was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which is currently being hollywoodified, thankfully Harry Potter was not around at the time.

I loved Serge Brussolo's books until i've read Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Now Brussolo is no2 :D

Hectate

Oh I forgot to mention: if you like Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide) and/or Terry Pratchett (Discworld) you will probably like another author I discovered relatively recently (since he's somewhat new). Try looking up "A. Lee Martinez" - great stuff.

Another guy in the same vein, but less new and focused on outdoorsy/folk type stuff (awesome stories nonetheless) is Pat McManus.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:16:54 pm by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

captaincomic

I'll make sure to remember those name to read them at some point :)

ipe 369

Inheritance cycle, by christopher paolini :D Sort of teen fiction i guess, not hard to read at all but... Great book

What are these things called 'books' ?
Zen - Newgrounds - goo.gl/fd4mU

Shoot me a PM or something..

Photics

When I saw this thread, I remembered that my Sci-Fi adventure novel was still offline. So, I converted it to EPUB and I put it back online...

http://photics.com/books/revisions
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

gplar

Check out the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. Magic reading.
 http://www.goodreads.com/series/43672-odd-thomas
And the Burke series by Andrew Vachss. Intense, disturbing and excellent.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/54555-burke
And I have to agree with luyren on the Dark Tower series. (Also as an excellent line of comic books)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(comics)

And goodreads is a great site for finding new reads.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:25:37 pm by gplar »

Photics

I forgot to mention this before. Many years ago, I read part of The Princess Bride. The movie was very funny, but the book was good too. From what I remember, there was extra dialogue in the book that wasn't mentioned in the movie — fun and easy read.
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)