Game Ideas of Legend

Photon

OK, slightly goofy topic title aside, serious question. What "crazy idea" have you wanted to see video games pull off but have never seen it done well or even attempted? I know we talk about sticking to what works and "basics"... but what's game design without taking some chances? Or maybe... ya' know... keeping things fresh and engaging the player?

For instance, I've heard the talk about 2D platformers just being way overused. And frankly, the talk is probably right. I remember pulling up a platformer game at Kong that I believe was on their front page, playing it, and thinking something like "This really isn't that fantastic...". These days, unless the words "Mega" and "Man" are in a platformer's title, it's not horribly eye-catching to me (where IS Mega Man, Capcom? Seriously, but I digress...).

Speak your mind. What do you want to see a video game attempt? What new territory do you want to see a video game designer brave?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

jaybdemented

I'm sure something like this is around but a man Hunter game. The target gets a head start and you'll have to follow the trail ( footprints, broken branches ) things like that.

Hectate

I had an idea that I felt was compelling but I couldn't resolve the design issues with my approach. The core concept was that two players had to complete levels cooperatively but the meta-game encouraged competitiveness instead. As a result, playing it would force the players into an "enemies working together, mostly" mindset.
To truly emphasize this I wanted a large disparity in the gameplay styles between each player. For example, one player might be playing as a platformer character and is scored on typical platforming things (speed, collection, etc) while the other has god-like powers over the level which obviously impact the other player's ability to progress or score. The issue I had was figuring out how to encourage or create some kind of "betrayal" condition to develop that traitorous undercurrent of hatred.

Now that I type that out I realize that it's basically the Prisoner's Dilemma with a more complicated shell :) Perhaps there's the key to solving the design riddle... at the beginning of each level, each player decides to be honest or be traitorous. If both players are honest, they keep their own points at the end of the level. If both players are traitorous they get no points. But if ONE player is traitorous (and thus, the other honest) he gets to keep ALL the points that both players collect.

That's so deliciously mean :)

Another idea that's interesting is merging a service like Chat Roulette with video games. A player logs in and is randomly connected with another player for voice chat. One of the players sees a simple game (think Wario-Ware type stuff - each lasts a few seconds) but cannot control it. The other player cannot see the game but does get to control it. Obviously the key here is that the player that can see the game must describe to the other player what he must do. If successful they both get points, the game changes and the roles of the players swap.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

lazyboygames

Another idea that's interesting is merging a service like Chat Roulette with video games. A player logs in and is randomly connected with another player for voice chat. One of the players sees a simple game (think Wario-Ware type stuff - each lasts a few seconds) but cannot control it. The other player cannot see the game but does get to control it. Obviously the key here is that the player that can see the game must describe to the other player what he must do. If successful they both get points, the game changes and the roles of the players swap.

That is one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard.

Korieta

That is one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard.

I would like to second that.
"Quotes are for dumb people who can't think of anything intelligent to say on their own." - Bo Burnham

ipe 369

Enemies that learn. And npcs that genuinely talk and respond to text.

Hectate

Enemies that learn. And npcs that genuinely talk and respond to text.
In a way, the game Warning Forever learns from the player. Try it out. Basically if you beat the boss a certain way, the next round he comes back with better defenses against that kind of attack.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ipe 369

Yes, that's what i mean:D But on a bigger scale.

Maybe in a minecraft like world, you could find creatures that had lived and learned over a while to avoid certain things and to forage for certain foods etc.
This wouldn't even be that hard to implement...