Miner Published!

coleislazy

Just wanted to show you guys what I'm working on now. A post a month or two ago got me thinking about doing a Old Timey mining game, similar the the old VGA Miner, and I finally decided to actually do it! If you want to check it out, go here:

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/5776

So, right now you can basically just move around, dig through the earth, discover ores, then mine them. Eventually there will be hazards, a town to sell your ore, all the upgrades that would come along with this, and some more things I have kicking around in my head.

If I like how this turns out, I may even expand it into a larger game which would include and overland map for traveling, gunfights, shootouts, crooked card games, brothels (!) and all the other stuff that comes with the Wild West.

Thanks for checking it out!

Update 7/26: Changed a few graphics, added a background as you dig, notifications of which ore you received.
Update 7/27: Added/updated some graphics, added energy system, 98 levels to the mine!
Update 7/29: Added a town and a saving system!
Update 7:30: Added carrying capacity and the assay office.
Update 8/4: Added new interface for interacting in town, upgrades at the store, resting in the hotel or camp.
Update 8/8: Fixed a bug, added a lift!
Update 8/11: Added an intro scene, a hazard, healing.
Update 8/16: Unlimited levels!
Update 8/17: New upgrade: helmet, (horrible)sounds, fixed bugs, added ending, published!

Thanks everyone!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:42:53 pm by coleislazy »

Greg

Pretty cool, nice job so far!

coleislazy

Added some new stuff today:
  • Mine has 98 levels!
  • Updated/added some graphics
  • Added energy system
  • Rest up at your camp

chaosoul

impressive.. I LIEK!
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

yoshirider4

It's pretty good, I just have a couple of suggestions.

1. Is the money actually used for anything, if not you could have it used for upgrading the camp site, the pick axe, etc.

2. It's a bit tedious after awhile to run back to the camp after you've gotten so far into the mining area, so maybe have a reset button that changes the day and resets you at camp?

coleislazy

It's pretty good, I just have a couple of suggestions.

1. Is the money actually used for anything, if not you could have it used for upgrading the camp site, the pick axe, etc.

2. It's a bit tedious after awhile to run back to the camp after you've gotten so far into the mining area, so maybe have a reset button that changes the day and resets you at camp?

The money will be used eventually for upgrades and such. And I plan on adding a lift on the far right side that can take you quickly up and down the mine. Thanks for the feedback!

Darkhog

Nice game, but you forgot to fill in background in top right of scene.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

coleislazy

Ah, yes, my wife pointed that out to me last night. You aren't even supposed to be able to move up there, but I added another row to accomodate the status bar and forgot to change the offset. Will be fixed in the next update. Thanks!

SuperJosh64

Great stuff Cole - I'm loving the 'hop' based movement ;) I'm curious to compare our movement behaviours!

The look is superb, I love the little Miner character - it would be great to have a little chiptune playing in the background to really bring this world to life. It's a great concept, I'm looking forward for you to implement some mechanics of using your resources!

coleislazy

I have no idea where to begin when it comes to sound (and, in fact, I do most of my work AT work, where I have no sound), so I'll probably reach out to someone here for help when I'm ready to implement that aspect.

KungFuFurby

I ended up mining everything within 10 days. I have $1951 worth of material.

If you really want to get old-styled, I can make Commodore 64 music (and SFX) from my computer using an application called GoatTracker (I have used it before, believe it or not. It makes .sid files, but it has its own native format when creating music. I use NTRQ for NES music, but not fancier Famicom music with all of those extra synths, as I don't have the emulator to do the job... and Famitracker is for the wrong platform.). Then I use SIDPlay to convert 'em over to MP3 (or I could do AIFF, then use iTunes to convert 'em to MP3. Note that I use the version that is compatible with my Mac, which is 3.4.1. The latest requires an Intel Mac and 10.6 or later, which is version 4.1.4).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:47:27 am by KungFuFurby »
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

coleislazy

Just a small update today. Added a town (but you can't do anything there yet) and a saving system. Your progress is saved automatically every 10 seconds and when you transition between the town and the mine. To rest, you now go to town, then return (this will change later).

Also, it can run kind of slow right now (on old computers) because of the new way I generate the mine, but I have plans to fix that in the future. Enjoy!

GregAnims

Really awesome! I think we all know how popular mine-ing games can become..

are the dirt blocks actors that get removed? or are you editing the tiles of the level? If so how did you acomplish the latter, and is having each tile an actor any slower- performance wise, than using the tile editor?

Thankyou

chaosoul

are the dirt blocks actors that get removed? or are you editing the tiles of the level? If so how did you acomplish the latter, and is having each tile an actor any slower- performance wise, than using the tile editor?

Thankyou
I think hes editing tiles since otherwise it lag alot more. performance wise tiles are much better than actors. I would also like to know how to use the tile api. If you make a tutorial or make a page on stencylpedia that be great.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

coleislazy

Thankyou

I am using the tile API to add and remove tiles. The mine is actually empty in the scene editor (except for the background layer and the mine entrance). I first build a multidimensional array that holds a list attribute for each square containing the type of tile, and its status (mined, object revealed, ore revealed, etc). Then I loop through the array and build the mine. Whenever I change a tile, I also change the array so it can be saved and rebuilt later. Anyway, here's a quick and dirty overview of the tile API:

setTileAt(row:int, col:int, layer:int, tilesetID:int, tileID:int);
The row and column aren't Y and X coordinates, rather they are the location of the tile on the grid. Layer is the layer you want to add the tile to, just like in the scene editor. TilesetID and tileID designate which tile you want. When you select a tile in the tileset editor, you can see its ID numbers at the bottom of the screen.

getTileAt(row:int, col:int, layer:int);
This one returns the tile. You can compare it to a string value to check for a certain tile. It returns a value like "2-2-0" whic is the TilesetID, TileaID, and layer. Make sure you assign it to a variable or it won't do anything.

removeTileAt(row:int, col:int, layer:int);
This removes the designate tile, using the same first three arguments from setTileAt. Note that you can remove any tile, even ones you place by hand in the scene editor. But it will not redraw the collision boundaries. So, its really only useful for a game where you have your own collision checking and don't rely on the physics engine.

Now, all of these functions go in a code block, but remember that you can use your own attributes in a code block, you just have to use their internal names. Attributes default to "_attributename" whereas custom blocks use "__argument" (double underscore). I'm trying to madly type this during the last few minutes of my lunch break, so if I'm not clear, or if I missed anything, please let me know!