Question about animating extremely pixly pixel art

RecoilKid

Alright I've got a little character seen below its a very low res style and thus his legs are only one pixel each..How would you go about making the little bugger walk? or would it look better/less weird to just not have an animaton?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:32:46 pm by RecoilKid »

Hectate

I have an 8x8 character in the Urbanyte demo using only 4 "colors". I was able to animate using two frames and it looks OK. Its not much more than shifting them over one for a moment but it adds a lot.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

RecoilKid

Thanks for the reply :D . Can I see an example of what you did? I cant get mine to look very good

Unept

I like to head over to pixeljoint.com and dissect some of the running animations over there.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Hectate

Thanks for the reply :D . Can I see an example of what you did? I cant get mine to look very good
Yep. I was referencing a demo listed under my name on stencyl.com.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/16466
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ipe 369

At that size it doesn't matter too much, just get it to bounce up and down and its legs to go apart and together again. 4 frames or 2 frames really.
This is an 8x8 character i did agessss ago, i can't really remember if it looks good or not...

Vector

I'd recommend using a Vector graphics package, next time. The resolution for those types of graphics are a lot higher than bitmap. Just, if you feel like it.

Oh, and go with a .png extension for your graphics, JPEG uses lossy (or is it lossless? I can never remember) compression to store images, which uses unnecessary colours and ruins the image; .png doesn't!

Hectate

I'd recommend using a Vector graphics package, next time. The resolution for those types of graphics are a lot higher than bitmap. Just, if you feel like it.

Oh, and go with a .png extension for your graphics, JPEG uses lossy (or is it lossless? I can never remember) compression to store images, which uses unnecessary colours and ruins the image; .png doesn't!
I think you're misunderstanding the point of this topic. This isn't a discussion on how to increase resolution of artwork but how to make "readable" animations at extremely low resolutions of pixel art.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

mazeon

Alright I've got a little character seen below its a very low res style and thus his legs are only one pixel each..How would you go about making the little bugger walk? or would it look better/less weird to just not have an animaton?

Hi Hectate,
first at all, I would tell you, that I really like your little sprite! ;)

If your actor has legs, I would always prefer an animation ...
In the case of your bugger, I would do it probably like this:

3 frame animation:

An alternative (4 frames):

BTW
You can find a fine tutorial about walking here:
http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

ipe 369

^I'm not too keen on that animation, his legs moving look awkward.

RecoilKid

Hi Hectate,
first at all, I would tell you, that I really like your little sprite! ;)

If your actor has legs, I would always prefer an animation ...
In the case of your bugger, I would do it probably like this:

3 frame animation:

An alternative (4 frames):

BTW
You can find a fine tutorial about walking here:
http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

Sorry this is really late but Thanks alot mazeon for taking the time to make those! weirdly I almost think the 3 frame one looks better. I'll take a look at the tutorial too, I'm primarily a coder that's why I'm doing pixel art but hopefully I can still get some decent art made.