Fortress Escape-Released on Kongregate!

Wesxdz

Play: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Geckosplash/fortress-escape

Finally got tired of waiting on FGL, here's the completed game, hope you like it.

Hey Stencylers,
I got bored so I decided to spice things up and make my 2nd platformer game.  I realized how bad I was at stencyl back when I made my old game "Super Ninjas", Anyways I started this game on Monday this week and have been working hard on it non-stop.  I plan to try and get a sponsorship on Armor Games or some other site soon.

Fortress Escape is an action/puzzle platformer where you... escape a fortress pretty much.
Go through mini one screen levels, get xp and upgrade your player, use magic to fight enemies, create force fields, and do other awesome stuff.  All while solving challenging puzzles.

After a week and two days I finally finished up the game and put it on fgl.com
You can watch a video of beta testing here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fc40mJYfZE

Here are some screenshots.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:31:24 pm by Wesxdz »

Wesxdz

I've only spent a couple weeks developing the game so I've decided to give Fortress Escape a complete overhaul with epic new graphics, a more rewarding leveling up system, an intuitive tutorial so even the most stupid can master the game, and bigger better levels even more awesome stuff.

Also I realized I haven't taken full advantage of using the upgrades to help you progress through the game so I'll be taking a step back from puzzles and putting more emphasis on RPG, when you start a new game you can choose one of 4 unique heroes (Knight,Mage,Archer,or Rouge).  Each hero faces a set of challenges specialized to their traits and abilities. Enemies will be able to do more than slide back and forth giving the player a sense of urgency that will add excitement and adrenaline to the game that just wasn't there before.  So basically less Parkour and Puzzles, and more epic Fortress Escape.

Wesxdz

This is probably my second to last game I'll be making with stencyl before moving on to visual studio.

Ankhranum

I really like your game, but things were getting a bit hard, or I'm just a noob, but I've just a few notes:

- In the second level there was a green pickup below the lowest moving platform. I do know now I can perform wall slides, but that tutorial was given a few levels later. In that level, I didn't know how to pick it up.

- I got stuck when shit got real and arrows were shooting at me. This was that level about timing. It could be me though but I didn't knew how to get past that one after several attempts to try.

Overall score I gave on Kongerate was 4/5. Good music, no overwhelming sounds, good movement also. Well done!

This is probably my second to last game I'll be making with stencyl before moving on to visual studio.

This got my attention just now, why and how are you going to make games in VS?

Wesxdz

I got into Stencyl about 8 months ago because I had just taken a digital media class, so I knew how to create all the graphics, but I had absolutely no idea how to code.  Stencyl is great for what it does but is extremely limited with how in depth you can go.  Plus Stencyl is based entirely around gaming.  I'm taking an applied technology course to learn C++ and HTML 5, so I think it's time to move on.  The games and software that earn real money are created the long way.  Painstaking typing every line of code for maximum efficiency and the best user experience.  So that's basically why.

aroncruce

I dont agree with that you notice how many engines are becoming more user friendly (or less code oriented) due to the fact that there are so many artists and non-programmers that have good creative ideas. Unity is a perfect example, it takes a way from some of the line per line coding.

Ankhranum

For now, I'm doubting between Stencyl and HTML5. I have learned HTML5 already and it is very easy to create a game with. I've made an engine for myself which does all the basic stuff for me. But still, Stencyl is for me equal to my skills with HTML5.

This isn't where I started though, I'm using Unity for 3D. This way I can learn C# and continue with MonoGame in the future. But keep in mind, C++ is a huge step to take from Stencyl. I don't know if you have any experience with programming before but I'd reccommend you not to learn it yet, C# is much more effective because you can create games with it for more OS and it's easier to learn.