Easy RPG Creator for Stencyl 3.0 (ALPHA V0.3.4)

mutantfish

Couldn't you add an example of a dialogue tree in the game or in pseudo code on these forums or the wiki? As it is, there's only an example of how dialogue would work for a shop keeper.

Siren Games

Tetra says he's put a tutorial up on the wiki. Check it out. If you still have questions, let me know.

mutantfish

Cool.

Checking it out now. Looks like you found a bug in the dialog manager that affected using dialog choices. I think this is probably the exact problem I was having. It's cool to have a fix for that. Now I can finally continue making my game.

Thanks for the effort you're putting into this free kit. It's quite useful.

JoshuaMadoc

I have installed the files as per the instructions, but any attempts in testing the game were met with this error.

What exactly have I overlooked with this?

Meestar

Have you tried running Clean Project?
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

Siren Games

Hey guys.  Just a little update here.  Bad news, I'm afraid.

We're currently working on a super secret project right now that has our full attention and because we're really buckling down and setting a deadline for ourselves, the ERC is on hold for the time being.  Now, I don't want to make any promises about when we'll get back to work here, but our deadline for the super secret project is the end of this month, so sometime next month, expect an update for ERC.  Hopefully we'll have the combat system done by then, since that's what we've been working on recently. 

If you want more information on our super secret project (yeah, it's a game), let us know.  We'll be looking for testers near the end of the month when we have the basics in.

ManlyMouse

Siren,

Def looking forward to your secret project. Let us know when it becomes published, I'm sure there's a bunch of us Stencylers who would love to support you with our wallets.
I know more about Stencyl now.

jzy

Would like to try downloading this but can't, Twitter gives an error that the post is automated, and the other one wants to download a bunch of spyware programs onto the computer. Isn't there a decent download site?

Siren Games

Adf.ly uses ads to generate revenue for us, the developers. If you click the adf.ly link, look at the top of the page for a banner. Wait the alotted time and click download from that banner once it pops up.

If this is still an issue, let me know. We unfortunately make no money developing extensions or games, so adf.ly was our attempt to justify our work. Unfortunately we've only made a few quarters... Meaning our work is not being justified. We also refuse to sell our extension behind a donation link. Because we don't think users should have to pay for our extensions tools.

Justin

Have you considered making the donation option more prominent and letting users direct download without jumping through any hoops? (Admittedly, I wouldn't say the adf.ly link is much of an obstacle, but it does seem to give some users trouble.)

For my part, I've tried to make the donation option very visible (but very unobtrusive) for the Dialog Extension, and while I probably won't ever make enough to financially justify the time spent on it, I have made more than a few quarters.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Siren Games

Yeah. I mean we've definitely considered making a direct download on our website. I just figured we'd lose any adf.ly revenue we might acquire. This week I might discuss it with the team and change how we're distributing the extension. Again, I don't expect to pay my bills with any donations we get, but a free meal from McDonalds would be an awesome reward for our hours and hours of hard work. Lol

Innes

I think your work on this project, and the desire to make it free is admirable.

My advice would be the same as Justin's; get rid of Adfly and request donations. I would be fairly sure that just one voluntary donation of a few dollars will be more than you have already received on Adfly. Stencyl is a relatively niche product, so I can't see the number of advert-views being enough to make it worthwhile. The problem with Adfly is that it looks spammy; I know that I was cautious when I first saw it (not in relation to your project) - I have a virtual PC that I use for testing such links, but many people will just close their web browser, and you'll lose them.

No-one can possibly object to you making a request for a voluntary donation. Having said that, there are some people who will object, but you don't want them as 'customers' anyway, because if they complain about a voluntary donation request for a product that they have tracked down and want, then they are going to complain about everything, and they will suck the life out of you!

I think adblock (one of the most popular, free browser add-ons) has a good way of asking for donations: https://getadblock.com/pay/
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

Jzyehoshua

The Adfly insists on changing search and homepage settings to "Trovi search" and installing other adware. It's an obvious spyware program designed for hijack attempts. If all you've made from it is a few quarters, you'd probably do better just setting up your own download page with some kind of ads either on the download page or a preview. Google Adsense would be easy to set up, or maybe you could try the kind of video ads used by Kongregate.  Either way I'm sure they'd provide about as much as the few quarters Adfly is giving.

Meestar

The Adfly insists on changing search and homepage settings to "Trovi search" and installing other adware. It's an obvious spyware program designed for hijack attempts. If all you've made from it is a few quarters, you'd probably do better just setting up your own download page with some kind of ads either on the download page or a preview. Google Adsense would be easy to set up, or maybe you could try the kind of video ads used by Kongregate.  Either way I'm sure they'd provide about as much as the few quarters Adfly is giving.

I haven't seen AdFly force anything on anyone.  I know its used when downloading just about any Minecraft mod from the Minecraft Forum website.  It's a pretty popular website for making revenue.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

Innes

I haven't seen AdFly force anything on anyone.  I know its used when downloading just about any Minecraft mod from the Minecraft Forum website.  It's a pretty popular website for making revenue.
I have never seen a forced download from AdFly, or search-page changes. I suspect some other malware may be involved.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.