Easy RPG Creator for Stencyl 3.0 (ALPHA V0.3.4)

Meestar

3.0 agian :-X
when it come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you misread.  It's for both 2.X AND 3.0.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

Corerupted

============================
Corerupted
from WorldxLink
RPG/ Strategy Gamer

NGS

For non subscribers, it seems to work fine on 2.x but not 3.x.  There is an issue saving game attributes.  Due to that roadblock it's delaying the release.

They are using java to code the extension. Seems not many people have traveled down the extension path and fewer are using java to do it.

That thread has no updates for 30 days.

Hopefully they found a work around!

Corerupted

Ok so where is the download link or something?
Corerupted
from WorldxLink
RPG/ Strategy Gamer

Siren Games

Hey everyone!

So sorry for the month long hiatus.  We haven't been doing much work here because of a little hiccup with saving attributes without having to relaunch Stencyl after every change (bug in 3.x, not 2.x).  Because of this we haven't moved on to any other features. 

However!  We have a little gift for everyone who have been waiting patiently.  It's a bit vague right now, but at least it's a bit of evidence that this thing is actually usable.  Just nowhere near finished.

Demo Video

There's currently no demo or download for the extension.  Eventually we'll get a demo put up, but right now there isn't enough to really work with. 

We could really use some help figuring out a way to save variables using Java or to reload the Stencyl interface rather than completely restarting Stencyl.  This problem only seems to exist in 3.0.  If it continues to exist we're considering just moving on with the 2.X version until an update or a fix is found.

NGS

Looks good so far, keep up the work!

Corerupted

What i meant to ask like 3 times:

"So i am guessing that you guys don't have the 2.x version avaliable´╗┐ yet, right?"
Corerupted
from WorldxLink
RPG/ Strategy Gamer

rob1221

There's currently no demo or download for the extension.

So no, it's not available.

Photon

Very slick looking! It's great to see something like this coming together, and its clear you guys have been working hard to make something incredible like this for Stencyl.

I do have a question though: how much interaction is allowed between Stencyl and the RPG engine? For instance, when I saw scope on the item database, I thought "Hmm, what if I want an item that I can use on my allies?" In other words, are there specific functions/custom blocks Stencyl is required to act through (and if so, how much customization do those allow for), or is the RPG engine pretty "exposed", so to speak, to the Stencyl interface?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Siren Games

@Photon:  Yes.  You'll definitely be able to do things like that.  We're basing the entire database on the extremely widely used RPG engine, RPG Maker VX database.  The reason for this is because of it's insane amount of popularity and ease of use. 

However!  Being developers who happened to start out using that engine, we plan on adding more detail and more options in the database for creative developers who want to make more interesting games.  We've even discussed things like a tab in the database for crafting.  Also, because this is being developed for Stencyl, you're free to integrate anything you can think of.  This can include completely custom items/weapons/armors which will be able to call custom behaviors and more.

Of course, most of these additional features will be added after the basics are done.  We want the extension/kit to be usable as soon as possible, this might mean some limits on the depth of the database at first. 

Photon

@Photon:  Yes.  You'll definitely be able to do things like that.  We're basing the entire database on the extremely widely used RPG engine, RPG Maker VX database.  The reason for this is because of it's insane amount of popularity and ease of use. 

However!  Being developers who happened to start out using that engine, we plan on adding more detail and more options in the database for creative developers who want to make more interesting games.  We've even discussed things like a tab in the database for crafting.  Also, because this is being developed for Stencyl, you're free to integrate anything you can think of.  This can include completely custom items/weapons/armors which will be able to call custom behaviors and more.

Of course, most of these additional features will be added after the basics are done.  We want the extension/kit to be usable as soon as possible, this might mean some limits on the depth of the database at first.
Good stuff. Thanks for the response!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

FelineGaming

I just signed up right now purely to post here. This is a dream come true for me- I'm a long-time RPG Maker fan, and this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I was considering using Stencyl to properly start developing and publishing my games, and this totally swings it. You have NO IDEA how much I appreciate this.

Is the development going well? Expect a decent donation to your site once I get my hands on this. It's the least I can do to express my thanks! You have no idea how much this will help me out!

Siren Games

Hey everyone. 

First off I'd like to say, @FelineGaming: We're glad to see a new face among the community here at Stencyl.  It's a wonderful engine.  Hopefully you'll be happy with the database.  We too came from RPG Maker and found Stencyl hoping for a more powerful engine with the same ease of use.

Next.  Here at Siren Games we have good and bad news for you about the ERPGC.  The bad news is that we're going to discontinue work on the 2.x version of the database.  I know this is disappointing, but it's taking far too much time to continue work on both 2.x and the 3.0 versions.  After we found a fix for the issue with 3.0 we attempted to move on with the next set of issues/features and learned that we can't use the same code for both versions, which means double the work for us.

On the other hand, because we're dedicating 100% of our time to the 3.0 version we will now be able to officially announce that we have an alpha version in the works.  It's nearly finished.  It's definitely working and usable with only a few bugs here and there that we're working out.

This alpha release will also include a basic RPG kit filled with art, audio, tiles, etc. to get you working on your game as soon as you download the kit.  It will ship with a creative commons license so the art can be used non-commercially in any of your projects.  We will also include a set of basic instructions to help you quickly get everything set up, running, and installed.

Thank you for all the inspiring feedback and your dedication to the project.  We're trying hard not to disappoint anyone.

FelineGaming

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
I completely understand wanting to just make sure one version works really well- better than spreading yourselves too thin!

This sounds so good. Very nice to have a default set of resources to use as a base and get making something quickly- that way you can put the basic game together, then come back and replace it with original art/sounds, making the whole process very smooth. Thanks again!

Jon

I'm not sure how you ended up fixing that issue, but did you catch the post I made in your other topic about using the external files functionality to support your plugin? That's how one other high profile extension is storing its files too, and I feel that the flexibility it provides will make the work on your part a lot easier in the future.