Easy RPG Creator for Stencyl 3.0 (ALPHA V0.3.4)

ltsteel

I'm sorry I am such a N00B, but everyone has to start somewhere. can I get a brief understanding of how to install or import this into Stencyl?

Meestar

PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

ltsteel

wow thank you so much this link is awesome!!!

gino23

Thanks for this! I just started, but is there a tutorial on how to exactly use the files after downloading. Like do I load them using stencyl? Some documentation would be so helpful! Thanks

PhilIrby

Didn't you see the link two posts above you?

VirusChris

Honestly I can't wait until this Easy RPG Creator is truly done! I have two big RPG Projects I want to make and it's design to be like console game so they're going to be Desktop PC games when I'm done with them, however I'm quite limited with RPG Maker XP when it comes to features and the scripts will sometimes not work and cause a lot of hassle trying to do the most simple of things like GUI setup for the menus or adding an Overdrive feature for skills.

Hopefully this Easy RPG Creator tool is similar to features that RPG Maker has so I can go into setting up the Events, Layers, and Database settings for my characters. Keep up the good work! ^_^
INVOKE... VIRUS SOUL!!! ~ Chris Yuushi
"VirusChris" manga project - Unleash the power of the Nazo Virus

Siren Games

Hey VirusChris.  Though both of us (the developers behind ERC) are currently attending school full time and I'm now a work at home dad on top of that, we've actually been talking a lot about ERC lately and what we'd like to see in the next stable release.

I'm not going to make any promises here, but we've considered dabbling in a sort of event system that's similar to RMXP or VX.  We like the idea of adding in simple events that you use quite often in RPG's but take some effort to build in Stencyl.  We're still working on the battle systems, though, which will come first so people who know Stencyl can already dive in and start making better RPG's.

I'm glad to see there's still some interest in this extension.  I'll see if I can't prod my partner into getting some more work done on it when he gets some free time this week.

VirusChris

That's cool, take your time. I can wait, your schoolwork comes first and I got PLENTY of games to play and beat first in the meantime.

It would be great to have the "Event System" from RMXP or VX in as I'm used to making events like that, though I'm not sure how Stencyl handles events for RPGs yet (as I haven't dibbled into that much yet outside of the crash course kit).

By the way will the Battle System you have in mind allow you to "pick" the basis of what type you're going for? Like a Side-View Battle System (with or without Animated sprites, though I plan to use animated sprites for battle) or a Front-View Battle System (like XP Default system) for example?

Honestly hated how they had the Battle System setup for XP and VX and I hope ERC can fix that, using scripts can be a mess at times considering what's compatible and what's not. And seeing as it's an extension of Stencyl I can hope you can allow more layer options than XP? VX has the most mapping for fields in that regard and I like to make some really amazing maps for my RPG.

Well than, take care guys! Don't rush it and take some time if you like, I'm in no rush. Gives me more time to play my games and work up designs for my own! ^_^

Siren Games

I highly recommend you play around with Stencyl a bit.  The mapping in Stencyl is nearly identical to RMXP, except with (as far as I know) unlimited layers. (I've never used more than like 8 I think) The battle system, as far as animated sprites goes, should be as simple as importing the sprite with various animation frames, then using the system to tell them when to change animation.  Should be very simple to use. 

And yes, our plan is to allow the player to set up the battle system however they want (side-view, front-view, etc.) along with an action battle system that allows real-time combat.  Adding things like limit breaks, timers, etc. to your battle system should be pretty simple as well and we've talked about adding addons later on that let you just put these types of things into your extension folder to change how the ERC works, sort of like scripts made specifically for ERC so they'll always be compatible.

Again, all this is far off, but we definitely have yours and other RPG fans' interests in mind while designing this.

VirusChris

Excellent! ^_^

I cannot wait! Good luck on ERC and take care with your school work guys!

Meestar

Just want to say that it looks like there has been some development going on.
http://erpgc.wikia.com/wiki/Change_Log

TheGreatEater

Can a Final Fantasy Turn Based Battle be done with this? And are there any video tutorials for this kit?

Squigatoo

Any ETA on a release for 3.3.1?

Meestar

Can a Final Fantasy Turn Based Battle be done with this? And are there any video tutorials for this kit?

No, a Turn Based Battle can't be done yet, but it is a feature they were working on.  They have an entire website full of tutorials on how to use it.  http://erpgc.wikia.com/wiki/Easy_RPG_Creator_Wiki

Any ETA on a release for 3.3.1?
http://erpgc.wikia.com/wiki/Easy_RPG_Creator_Wiki

Check the Notes section.

Siren Games

Dear Stencylers,

When we originally started out we wanted nothing more than to help out the community with an easy-to-use tool for creating Role-Playing Games, a genre that we hold dear to our hearts.  We made quite a bit of progress and had come so far from when we initially started out.  Complex games made simpler for beginners, for the artists who didn't know how to code, or for the advanced users who wanted to learn even more by reading through our code or using our tools.  We were not satisfied with what we had created, however.  In our eyes, we had failed each and every one of you.  The Easy RPG Creator wasn't so easy to use and wasn't as customizable as we had wanted.  We were forcing you to use the settings we laid out for you, the tabs that we created.  What if you wanted to do more?  What if you wanted to do less?  We had lost our flexibility.

We betrayed you by missing release dates that we said we would make.  Our lives became hectic, and, we eventually stopped posting here altogether.  We shunned the community and the tool that we had worked so hard to create.  We vanished into the darkness from whence we had came, lurking in the shadows but remaining ever silent.  Well, we remain silent no more.

We have not been sitting idly by, twiddling our thumbs, pretending we were never here.  Oh no.  We have been working to build our dream tool, the way it was meant to be.  Quick.  Easy.  Customizable.  Powerful.  We have reworked our tools from the ground up and are still hard at work on the Easy RPG Creator.  While still quite a long way from being completed, we thought we'd share with you some of the new features we have planned for the Easy RPG Creator V2, complete with a development screen shot, starting with the best stuff first!

New Features:
    Gone are the tabs that you have grown used to.  They are no more.  Instead, the Easy RPG Creator now comes with a brand new Drag n' Drop interface that allows you to create your own tabs, defining only what parameters you want and need.  Name your tabs whatever you want, design them how you want.  You will even be able to copy tabs from one game to the next straight from within our editor, making things so much more effortless.  But, worry not!  Easy RPG Creator will also come packed with our classic tabs, revised, should you wish to use those.

After designing your own tabs, it's really time to get to work.  You can use the Database Editor to create all the data for your game: The monsters, the items, the quests, the shops... you name it!  Whatever tabs you design will be available for you to edit at will.

Enough about the Database, though.  Let's talk about the new features for the Kit.

Gone are the complex lists of Custom Blocks.  You won't need those anymore!  Instead, you will be able to use simple code to get and set your database information from within your game.  Generate your player's character, view his or her health, even change their health.  Complexity made simple via Stencyl's Code blocks.  Access any of the data that you have created without having to deal with a ton of obscure custom blocks.  Easy.

Along with all these updates we'll also be removing the adf.ly wall from the new download when it becomes available and make this completely free for everyone, all the time, forever.  All we ask is that you enjoy our creation.