Random Walking AI for platformers

chaosoul

I've just created a AI for platformer games that allows for total (ok fine almost total) randomness on walking. There is random pausing times, random turns, and not quite so random speeds. All you have to do is put in the walking right and left and idle right and left animations and put the speeds.*Note the walking left speed has to be negative and the right walking speed has to be positive.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Hectate

I've not looked at this yet, but one addition would be handy. The ability to determine the odds of changing. For example, instead of it being actually random, what if it was 1 of 20 odds that the actor would change directions? Or more/less if I needed? I've done such a thing before in behaviors, it can help make the AI look a bit more interesting with no additional AI needed.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

chaosoul

I've not looked at this yet, but one addition would be handy. The ability to determine the odds of changing. For example, instead of it being actually random, what if it was 1 of 20 odds that the actor would change directions? Or more/less if I needed? I've done such a thing before in behaviors, it can help make the AI look a bit more interesting with no additional AI needed.
I've actually done this but I have mine at a much lower odd.  I suppose I could make that editable, but I tried to make it as simple as possible for many users. Oh one mistake I've said It only turns after it pauses because thats what my game needed I might have to change that. I might update this soon but for now Im leave it but Its pretty simple for you to edit in code or design mode hectate especially for you
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Hectate

Glad to hear that you already had that in mind. 1 of 20 was just an easy thing to say. The odds used in Dreaming Big to change the "peeps" direction was much higher I believe. After all, it's checking upwards of 60 times per second!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

chaosoul

Glad to hear that you already had that in mind. 1 of 20 was just an easy thing to say. The odds used in Dreaming Big to change the "peeps" direction was much higher I believe. After all, it's checking upwards of 60 times per second!
I'm sorry but what's Dreaming Big?

Hectate

Sorry, I've mentioned it in passing on occasion and I easily forget that it was a game I release prior to public launch.  I'm happy to say it won one of the Game Jam contests. It's not currently available to play as a result of the server move to Stencyl.com when launch happened.

However! I've been working on getting it debugged and operative in current versions of StencylWorks - just this past week actually - and will be re-releasing it soon. I intend to both publish the game and also upload it to Forge for anyone to mess around with. Expect a topic on it soon, hopefully this week.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

chaosoul

Waiting for it  :)