Sync music issues - Should I consider leaving stencyl?

aroncruce

I have noticed there a virtually no rhythm type games made from Stencyl lets just use guitar hero as an example. I desperately want to create something that use the same basis as the typical rhythm game. I don't understand why there hasn't been any games made when  I have seen games made using flash and flixel?

Any insight on what direction I should go? I do not want to invest too much time into somethings that will fail me in the end.

here are a few games I was pretty impressed with or I thought could benefit me understanding or using its engine.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/327853

http://illogictree.com/games/funkbot/

Tuo

The issue with that is the size of music files. To make a music game requires a lot of music, and because it is a music game, you want to have decent quality music. That's why there are so few music flash games period. Making one in Stencyl is not really different than any other program.
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

aroncruce

Ok, so what I am looking at is to loop smaller samples, quality isn't tremendously important due to the fact I am going to do more of an 8 bit chip tune sound. I have looked at the behavior made in stencyl forge and read a lot on the forums but the creator (i think it was the creator) of that behavior which is the only one of it's kind stated that eventually it goes out of sync.

there are a lot of rhythm games online I'm guessing most of them were made through flash what do you think the best direction is, mess with stencyl or learn something new?

Tuo

Stencyl is not designed for syncing with music. I don't know if there is a program that is designed that way though... It's up to you.
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

gruffman

It's absolutely do-able but as Tuo says you need to do it yourself. Eg for each piece of music, you need to figure out at how many seconds to spawn each indicator so that at just the right moment it moves into the target of the button you want to hit. And if the indicators speed up as the music progresses...eh..it's tricky. There's no reason you can't use stencyl to do this, it's no easier or harder than any other tool out there.
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

vikingpotato

I must warn you though, its a road not yet teken with stencyl.. i made a game sometime back with stencyl 2.2 where the character did a little dance thing with the background music. I had manually synced timings with the music to get the desired effect(tiresome), and it worked fine during test, but wasn't deployable..
Since there are no callbacks from the playback side, you will have solely rely on timings. In my game, things like losing focus from window, switching tabs etc disturbed the timings and resulted in mismatch between music and actions(i am not saying its still there in latest versions or in 3.0, that you will have to check for yourself..)

aroncruce

Thats the thing I cant manually time everything and have it working great and then move it on to another platform and fail miserably.

I am going to mess with stencyl and see what happens, I am new to anything having to do with video game development so I am completely clueless for the most part. I understand that making some type of 'timer' (in which I do not know how to do yet) might help keep things in sync?

do you guys have anymore ideas or tips before I start?

Hectate

People have created their own music players in AS3; if you really wanted to dig into it you could make your own MIDI player and time everything exactly with that perfectly. Not a simple feat...
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

aroncruce

Yea I'll look into that, would stencyl need to support midi files and does it?

Hectate

It's not Stencyl, it's AS3 (for 2.2 anyway). You will need to look up information on that instead. Nobody here has done it, AFAIK.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

aroncruce

yea action script 3, since stencyl uses AS3 the code should work with in stencyl correct?

Hectate

:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

aroncruce

will this change in stencyl 3.0?

Hectate

Yes, in 3.0 the language will be Haxe, using the NME game engine. It's very similar to AS3 but there are differences that will require your code to be ported before using in 3.0.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.