**ARTIST NEEDED 4 GAME COMPANY**

irock

Everyone learns in different ways, but the most universal way is to learn by practicing. Just start making stuff. Come up with a simple game idea and make art for it, even if the art sucks. If you think you need tutorials, they should be pretty easy to find, on account of us being on the internet.

rob1221

You could also just use placeholder art and ask for an artist when the game is finished.  That way there won't be any risk of not completing the game because besides the art it would already be ready for publishing.

Photon

My first published game, Pixel Ninja, uses single color outlines and shapes. You don't need a host of fancy tricks to make your game look good. It's about making it all fit.

And yes, a simpler idea would be a great place to start. Besides, if there is one thing I have learned about game design, it's that what sounds simple isn't always so simple. It's... kind of a conundrum in a way, because when you start into game design you learn simple = "WHAT IN BLAZES IS THIS CODE?!" :P

So in short, pick a few things and focus on those for your first game. Don't be afraid of trying things, but don't try to build the next 10GB masterpiece, if you catch my drift.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Ok thanks guys. I'll try making myself some art. What would you say are the best programs to use (free and ones that cost; I can go from there)? And if I did need tutorials, is there a specific site you'd recommend or should I just use youtube/google?

Photon

I use MSPaint/GIMP for art. For Pixel Ninja, I used PXTone and sfxr (there's also bfxr) for music and sounds, respectively. All of those are free.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

K thanks. And I've also heard Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator are good. Any other programs not mentioned or that I haven't heard of are welcome.

And one last question (well at least that is on my mind). Would you guys recommend mac or pc for art, sound, and game programming? Which one and why?

Photon

I use PC. I can't really really speak for mac since I have had limited experience with them.

irock

The only Mac exclusive software I use for game development related stuff is Logic Pro 9, but I consider it to be the greatest music creation software to ever exist, so I wouldn't want to live without it. Macs also come with Garageband installed, which is like Logic Pro's easier to use but still pretty cool little brother.

Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate it!

vikingpotato

If you are really confident about your new game idea, why don't you go to some site like http://opengameart.org/ and make a game with completely open source resources (Disclaimer: i never did any such thing myself so its not experience speaking)
The good thing is, then you will have a game to show to a potential collaborator and you can also do a closed beta testing to know how good your idea is received among people..

RecoilKid

Don't forget that developing the game without art at first and just squares and circles often leads to a better final product as the art doesn't have to get redrawn/edited with every change to the game. Art second, makes for a more pure game that will show you if it stands on its own without any fancy graphics on top.

Ok guys thanks for the tips!