I'm horrid at drawing tilesets

fillergames

=This is my first tileset

It looks like it was made of plastic.

-This is my second

It looks ugly and bland.

In short, if you have any tips on how to draw exciting tilesets. I'll be pleased!

Carrill

First of all, if you aim to create more of a pixel-art style I'd recommend you work with 16x16~ tiles with a 2X Scale in your game's settings. This will make the individual pixels come out a lot more. Plus, you won't have to create tiles that look as grainy/noisy as what you have in your second example.

Also, get more creative with your colors. I see you're using all green for grass and all brown for your dirt. Try to find a place to put some yellows somewhere or something.

Alexin

While I don't have any good advice about drawing tilesets, let me tell you it's a good thing you realize your previous tilesets are ugly. Not being in denial makes room for improvement.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Carrill

While I don't have any good advice about drawing tilesets, let me tell you it's a good thing you realize your previous tilesets are ugly. Not being in denial makes room for improvement.

I wouldn't say that his second tile set is very good either. But it's definitely an improvement from his last.

twotimingpete

I struggle with tilesets, too, I don't like making them, but I've gotten better over time.

My general approach is I just draw what I want the terrain to look like, as a whole section of it, without yet worrying about how it tiles. And now I take this and dissect it and convert it into repeatable patterns and edges and sides and slope and so on. I don't typically have just one tile that repeats with itself and fills large areas, it's usually groups of tiles. Like a chunk of three tiles in a row, that whole unit, patterns with itself. This can make things more detailed.

Also keep in mind that if you want, you can have the top of your tiles extend past the character's feet a bit by having the top part, the cap, sorta bleed into a tile of its own, which will have no collision. This means the top of your terrain doesn't have to be this artificial straight line.

fillergames

Is this better, or worse?

Carrill

Is this better, or worse?

It's definitely better! Now just try creating a nice-looking background image to add completeness the visual style you're creating here.

twotimingpete

the new one is definitely better. :) nice work. try adjusting the hue on your highlights or your shadows to see if you can bring out different cool color combos. I do that all the time.

fillergames

My skills are improving, slowly.

Left to right.

Rocky tiles, flat rocky tiles, flat rocky tiles with outline.

Zikkurat

If you want to make it look better then decrease the contrast. Now it looks like it's made out of metal or plastic. If you decrease the contrast between the brightest and the darkest color it will turn out more flat and it will gain a mat feel, which you kind of want when creating earth.

Or you could experiment with less saturated colors. I'm not saying that will help, but strong, vivid colors can turn out to be kitschy.

Deathlock

Alongside what Zikkurat said, the high contrast you have can be a nuisance on the eyes.

I've given you an example of what a better looking palette would look like (note, that what I've done is far from perfect but it's a good example of what I'm saying). A good palette will allow you to blend the environment nicely together. I'd also get rid of the outline you have on the other two, or make it less obvious as it tends to clutter with the rest of the tile.

Now for the grass, avoid pillow shading (as in shading from the edges in). It doesn't make the grass look, well.. grassy. Try defining the texture on the grass, rather than making it look like jelly.

Hope this helps, keep up the good work.
Hello.