Tiny Guns - Wild West action platformer!

AdventureIslands

Tiny Guns is a Run and Gun game inspired by old arcade games Sunset Riders and C.O.W. -Boys of Moo Mesa. You control two bounty hunters Burton Beryl and Crimson Clementine, on a quest to take down a vicious gang of outlaws who are trying to take over the Wild West. Your mission is to shoot your way through various western settings and face off with tough criminal boss at the end of each stage. Can you reach their true leader and save the West from bandit invasion?

Controls:
WASD:
Use ASD to Move and Duck. use J and K keys to jump and shoot. Press S while jumping to aim gun downwards to shoot beneath you.

Arrow Keys:
Use Arrow to Move and Duck. use Z and X keys to jump and shoot. Press down arrow key while jumping to aim gun downwards to shoot beneath you.

To use knife, run against an enemy from side and press any Shooting key. It deals twice bullet damage, can only be used on ground.

Screens:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:01:53 am by AdventureIslands »

Photon

I like the simplicity of the game, which is... good and bad to a point. Its good because I thought the premise was easy to catch on to and, though difficult, it can be quite fun and energetic. Its bad, in a sense though, because it sort of has that essence of "I'm another platformer" syndrome. I still liked it though. It has a nice atmosphere and pretty solid gameplay.

But when you said iOS game, I immediately became skeptical and concerned. Controlling and dodging with your character is a touch tough because of that slight sliding they do when moving and the gameplay is already unforgiving. If you take that and couple it with something like virtual buttons... *cringe*
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

AdventureIslands

Sliding can be toned down, and the controls work actually very well on mobile, I have the demo on my own and couple of other peoples phones. And dying is currently just a slap on wrist. Every level is split to Act 1, Act 2 and Boss. Retrying in game over screen just sends you to the beginning of current act or boss with full lives.

Photon

And dying is currently just a slap on wrist.
That may be true, but its still very easy to die. Even if the consequences aren't a full level restart, getting killed felt a little more frustrating than I would have imagined (part of that is the slightly long-winded respawn time).

I mean, like I said, the game looks and plays very well. Great presentation so far and the gameplay definitely has some nice energy and potential to it. I just feel like the game is lacking a little something right now... its like its missing that "wow" factor, the one thing it does so well and so much better than other games in the same genre, ya' know?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

AdventureIslands

I've tried to keep the gameplay simple because like I said, it's build mobile in mind. Now I am bit worried it is too simple... I need to have more people test the mobile build and ask what they think.

Photon

I've tried to keep the gameplay simple because like I said, it's build mobile in mind. Now I am bit worried it is too simple... I need to have more people test the mobile build and ask what they think.
The simplicity isn't necessarily a bad thing. As I'm sure you know, you can do A LOT with simple jump and run mechanics. You twist and turn simple elements every which way to make the most out of them without technically complicating the game. You make complex game design by meshing simple elements together, right? My thoughts, anyway. I may just be rehashing what you've known for a long time, lol.

But yeah, I'm only one person. More input would definitely be good. I just know people seem to be growing tired of platformers for one reason or another. Its something to consider: what will make people want to play this particular platformer?

AdventureIslands

Played this on my phone again and I'm liking the simpleness, but yeah, more feedback would be appreciated.

There is still 4 other levels coming, including minecart riding in a cave and traveling on top of a moving train, so things are gonna get interesting!

Update to the game:
I made changes to how the lives work, instead of outright dying when you get hit, you are now instead briefly stunned. Try it out!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:21:20 pm by AdventureIslands »

Photon

WOW. I didn't realize just how much I loathed the old death mechanic until you changed it. I'm telling you, the old way was a total energy/momentum killer. Seriously, I personally feel that makes a huge difference.

Some other "thoughts" and observations:
  • When shooting down, the shoot down animation only plays when falling, not jumping upwards.
  • Maybe you could have a slight animation change when firing your gun? The gun could recoil slightly, or maybe a (more pronounced) puff of smoke that lasts as long as the recharge time. Maybe minor, but for some reason the game is making me feel like I should be able to mash fire and let loose a spray of bullets even though I can't.
  • This may be intentional, but sometimes when enemies jump they end up landing on top of me. Since I can't fire up, this is a bit annoying and, frankly, weird-looking.

I look forward to seeing what you are going to do with this. 8)

EDIT: Also, why do you fire on release of button rather than press?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:59:05 pm by Photon »

fillergames

This is amazing...

-You got some excellent enemy AI here.

-The controls are smooth and responsive.

-Your artwork has improved, a ton.

-I found no bug/glitches at all!

-The shooter platformer mix was quite fun.

Question: Will the weapons from the 1st game be available?

LogicalGuy

Oh hai Stencyl Forums  :)

Well, I already gave my thoughts on the game in the comments but I may just post it here just in case ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know this is a good game but let me give some criticism. First of all, THE GAME IS TOO HARD. Well, at least for me anyways. To give you an example of what I'm talking about, I lost all of my 10 lives on the second screen of the FIRST LEVEL. Second of all, the characters have no differences between them AT ALL. For a game having 2 playable characters in them, I saw no differences between them. What's the point of adding two playable characters if they both play the same? Finally, I had trouble transitioning myself to the sequel. I mean, the previous game was a multiplayer-competitive game. The new game is an action-platformer. There will be some trouble for some veterans of the previous game to transition to this game. Now, time for the positive! Of course, this is the epic duo of KFF and AdventIslands, so the music and graphics are very well done. And for an action-platformer, it actually works pretty well. I'm disappointed that you can't get weapon pickups like in the previous game though. :(

So, I think this demo is okay, you could work better on some aspects, but I thought this game was nice. :)

7 out of 10 IMO.

PS. Yes, I was the guy who asked you to do pixel art for my game. Now I'm capable of doing that. :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Logical Guy  ;D

CURRENTLY NOTHING HERE

h1rnz1lla

i like the improved hit mechanic, but its still waaaaay to hard i think :)

twotimingpete

I thought it was really great. Nice graphics, everything is slick -- For me the game felt a bit slow/sluggish to play which translated to it feeling difficult. I also sorta feel as though space is a poor key for important action moves like shooting or jumping, because the key is large and cumbersome compared to a regular key.

The enemies are very well done, the dudes who run around and can jump up obstacles -- and also attempt to melee you if you're close -- Are really cool.

My main suggestion would be to increase the bullet speed and rate of fire of the player a little bit. This would make the game feel a bit less cumbersome just to play. Maybe also consider upping the run speed of the player just a bit.

I think the game is a terrific idea and I love these old arcade style action platformers. I'd love to see some difference between the characters, since you can choose, that'd be cool. Maybe a different gun or different speeds/whatever. Maybe each one has one special abiltiy that is unique to them.

Oh, and I don't know if UP/W is a good jump key, since you want people to use "down" to aim down while in the air, it feels counter intuitive to me for some reason. Since you jump, you'r still coming off that up key, it's harder to get to teh down key as fast.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:57:40 am by twotimingpete »

AdventureIslands

I thought it was really great. Nice graphics, everything is slick -- For me the game felt a bit slow/sluggish to play which translated to it feeling difficult. I also sorta feel as though space is a poor key for important action moves like shooting or jumping, because the key is large and cumbersome compared to a regular key.

The enemies are very well done, the dudes who run around and can jump up obstacles -- and also attempt to melee you if you're close -- Are really cool.

My main suggestion would be to increase the bullet speed and rate of fire of the player a little bit. This would make the game feel a bit less cumbersome just to play. Maybe also consider upping the run speed of the player just a bit.

I think the game is a terrific idea and I love these old arcade style action platformers. I'd love to see some difference between the characters, since you can choose, that'd be cool. Maybe a different gun or different speeds/whatever. Maybe each one has one special abiltiy that is unique to them.

Oh, and I don't know if UP/W is a good jump key, since you want people to use "down" to aim down while in the air, it feels counter intuitive to me for some reason. Since you jump, you'r still coming off that up key, it's harder to get to teh down key as fast.

Hmm I could change the location and jump key, if Arrow Keys had Z and X for jumping and shooting, what would be good keys for WASD?

Originally the characters had slight differences, Blue shoots slow but powerful bullets, while red shoots rapid, but weak bullets, but then I thought that could be very difficult to balance and left it out. Original weapons are currently not returning, for the players at least, enemies of later levels might use them though.

twotimingpete

I think z, x, arrows to play. or wasd and use like K and L or something. then have a special move with space key. say -- throw dynamite. or drop turret. or clear screen bomb. or whatever. maybe you have to pick these up and it becomes available until you use it. I feel like the gameplay needs another layer to it.

fillergames

I found an weird collision issue.

When the player stands on the edges of whatever this thing is

They float!

You could easily swap the collision for the tiles to fix it.