Tiny Guns - Wild West action platformer!

AdventureIslands

If I was being honest, I'm not sure this latest update was a step in the right direction.

First, the special abilities feel gimmicky to me. I rarely saw a good opporunity to use the dodge dash, particularly because it typically throws me towards my enemy. Dynamite was OK, but the few times it was actually useful (mass of enemies), I was typically too busy running away from a spray of gunshot, making my dynamite's effect not work on off-screen enemies (if I am not mistaken).

Which brings me to the next point. Why so many enemies all of a sudden? Difficulty has taken on more of a "swarm o' enemies" look than clever positioning and sharpshooting. The difficulty started to feel more "artificial" to me.

The melee attack is a little unorthodox. You literally have to be running into the enemy for it to work (and you can melee barricades too, might I add, though it doesn't damage them). By the time its useful, you've probably already taken a hit. I suppose maybe its more for an emergency situation, but I feel like a bit more flexibility would be nice (i.e. you don't have to hug the enemy).

I've been saying the game needs a little extra something, but I don't think this latest update is it. Its overcomplicating the game's base unnecessarily, in my opinion. The way I see it, it needs something that fits into the simple dynamic you already had. That... and PLEASE turn down the enemy numbers.

I felt the gameplay was too slow with few but strong enemies, and I feel the game is much more fast paced and smooth to play now that instead of overpowered enemies, you get lots of weak enemies trying to swarm you. I need to readjust some enemy placement though.

You are right about the skills though, they are gimmicky and I'm not really liking how they turned out. Not only they made gameplay more complicated, I need to make a new button for them. I'm thinking of taking them off and replacing them with something else. Like character skills that don't need extra buttons, stuff lik other character having more hp while other is faster, etc.

I might go with Sunset Riders style instead, enemies dropping powerups that boost your bullet power and shooting speed. Perhaps the characters have different powered up weapons? Getting hit by enemies would take the powerup away.

I've increased enemy reaction time to 0.5 seconds to make stabbing them easier, but yeah, I'll now work on simplifying the game for mobile and some less gimmicky skill or power up system.

Also, after giving it some thought, I am dropping the 2 out of the game's name. Original Tiny Guns was such a simple and unknown little jam game that I think it fits this game better to be just called Tiny Guns without relation to the original. Here's the new logo for the game.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:39:19 pm by AdventureIslands »

zhero

i like your game. dangerous  dungeon and tiny guns 2.
i hope yo can give some video tutrial to make enemy a.i or anything. :)

twotimingpete

sorry I haven't checked back in a while. I've been busy.

I think the game is actually a lot better now than I remember it. The gameplay feels more fluid and accessible and less frustrating. The inclusion of health drops makes things feel a bit more balanced. You said hit C for a special power, I couldn't get anything to happen though.

I think you should add an "aim up". it's odd to be able to aim down but not up.

How do I beat the boss? I can't reach him or aim up. :D

Playing this just makes me want a controller. I'm so tired of playing games on a keyboard. and I realize that's not your fault at all. it'd just be so much better on a controller.

AdventureIslands

Oh yes that, I took the special skills out, they were too gimmicky. I need to come up some other way to make the characters different, or just leave them be and just leave it as a question which colored character you want to play as.

For the first boss: You need to jump on his barrel bombs so you have enough reach to jump and shoot him

I'm not adding up shooting, because the game is mainly designed for phone, and I don't want the screen to have any more buttons. Also both bosses tactics require player the be unable to shoot up. Every boss is going to require their own trick so you can reach high enough to shoot them.

bonzero

Is this game going to be available on mobile? I think it would look great on the small screen with good touch buttons (i.e mikey shorts), I think it's a good polished game, love the retro arcade feel to it

AdventureIslands

Is this game going to be available on mobile? I think it would look great on the small screen with good touch buttons (i.e mikey shorts), I think it's a good polished game, love the retro arcade feel to it

Mobile platform is what I am planning to release it to. I've been playing the first two levels on Galaxy S4 and Nexus7 and it really does look stunning even if I say so myself.

The game is temporarily on hiatus while I'm working on post-compo of my Ludum Dare 27 entry Duke Dashington: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21001

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:39:19 am by AdventureIslands »

gfalcaor

Great to hear that!!
I really hope to see it soon on apple store, as I do have an iPhone myself!

Love the game design and gameplay!

Follow Me

Photon

It kind of occurred to me that I hadn't heard anything about this game lately.

So...

*POKE*

Please say you are still working on it. :)
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

gfalcaor

I agree!!!
Please update us!

Yours is one of the most well done game I've seen on stencyl.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Follow Me

bwwd

I like the game very much but 2 bullets to kill is too much and takes out fun factor, you should change it to 1 bullet and add more enemies, especially if enemies dont react too much after taking 1st bullet.
That new game with guy in pyramid or something has quite bad controls, unplayable in my opinion, i died more times because of unresponsive controls than my own fault.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:55:20 pm by bwwd »

AdventureIslands

It kind of occurred to me that I hadn't heard anything about this game lately.

So...

*POKE*

Please say you are still working on it. :)

Ludum Dare 27 and Duke Dashington rudely interrupted the development, and when I have been looking at the old work file again, I am not too content how the game plays anymore. The game is made into 240x160 resolution, which was pretty dumb move on my part as now I can't use the 1.5x scaling. Stencyl devs, 2.5 scaling pls?

Also the game didn't really survive transition to the latest 3.0 Stencyl. The game keeps crashing for reasons unknown. Also the programming is a bit mess as I tried to shoehorn special skills and such afterwards instead of including them from the very beginning.

When I eventually return to work on the game again sometime after release of full commercial version of Duke Dashington, I'll be most likely building the game again from scratch. I've learned lots and lots about how Stencyl works since I first started making the game, and I can redo it much better and improved. I might even bring back the multiple weapons system of original Tiny Guns Classic. We'll see.

But at the moment, this version of Tiny Guns is cancelled because it's a buggy mess.

Photon

Ah, tis' a bit of a shame.

Nevertheless, I hope Duke Dashington turns out well. Kudos!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Jon

Stencyl devs, 2.5 scaling pls?

Would this be for web/desktop scaling where it's just stretched out? I suppose that we could just allow arbitrary scaling factors for that case.

diwakar123

:D Awesomely Fantastic Yeah Dude :D

AdventureIslands

Stencyl devs, 2.5 scaling pls?

Would this be for web/desktop scaling where it's just stretched out? I suppose that we could just allow arbitrary scaling factors for that case.

Yup, I just want to stretch a 240x160 flash/desktop game to 720x480.