Boss 101 - Post Mortem (and general Stencyl thoughts)

Dimasko

Thanks for the kind words Tim!

And Photon, I encountered people who claimed Stencyl had worse performance than competitors and some (mainly serious coders) who rejected the block-based interface, which I feel is an unfair criticism since Stencyl supports custom code. Though I never experienced this personally, I've heard of people on Newgrounds skipping over games that have the Stencyl preloader, believing that because it's made with Stencyl, it must be low quality.

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, but it just bums me out because the more I use Stencyl, the more I want other people to like it too. But an easy way to prove the naysayers wrong is for us to keep making great games!

Cheers,

-Rich

TwistedIdentity

Congrats on the release!!
My Critter Android http://bit.ly/1gJyUs4
TI's FB Page: http://on.fb.me/1ijla4Y
Deadly Space Boss Arena 2: http://goo.gl/KIuowG

Follow me on Twitter: @jettas88

DarkTimmy

Thanks for the kind words Tim!

And Photon, I encountered people who claimed Stencyl had worse performance than competitors and some (mainly serious coders) who rejected the block-based interface, which I feel is an unfair criticism since Stencyl supports custom code. Though I never experienced this personally, I've heard of people on Newgrounds skipping over games that have the Stencyl preloader, believing that because it's made with Stencyl, it must be low quality.

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, but it just bums me out because the more I use Stencyl, the more I want other people to like it too. But an easy way to prove the naysayers wrong is for us to keep making great games!

Cheers,

-Rich

I think something which comes to mind is Stencyl allows a lot looser coding ethic than most. By that I mean it's easier to do inefficient coding in Stencyl which leads to games that seems sluggish or poor. You can still do AMAZING things but you just have to be on the lookout for sloppy or lazy techniques.

Just my 2 cents!

-Tim
Main Site: Donley Time Foundation Facebook Page: Donley Time Foundation
Newgrounds Links!

DarkTimmy

Newgrounds Links!

henson802

I think the ease of use for Stencyl brings a larger populace of beginner designers as well.  Coding is only half the battle, then it's design and gameplay.  It's rare , even for more advanced users, to hit on all 3 cylinders firing.  But as stencyl ages, and more people contribute, I think we will see better quality of games if this is any sign..

I think Stencyl can do most, if not all, 2d mechanics that most any other game utilizes quite well.

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:04:11 pm by henson802 »

rob1221

Are you holding off on distribution?  I noticed the game isn't on Kongregate or Newgrounds.

DarkTimmy

I think the ease of use for Stencyl brings a larger populace of beginner designers as well.  Coding is only half the battle, then it's design and gameplay.  It's rare , even for more advanced users, to hit on all 3 cylinders firing.  But as stencyl ages, and more people contribute, I think we will see better quality of games if this is any sign..

I think Stencyl can do most, if not all, 2d mechanics that most any other game utilizes quite well.

Cheers

Totally agree! I think the number one thing right now is to get as many people as possible using Stencyl. In my opinion there is a critical mass that gets hit with a larger user base. Once hit - you start seeing some real quality arising which in turn attracts more quality.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

DarkTimmy

Are you holding off on distribution?  I noticed the game isn't on Kongregate or Newgrounds.

Rob,

You'd make a great straight man because SPEAKING OF NEWGROUNDS AND KONGREGATE - Boss 101 is up at both right now (at least as of last night). On Kongregate you can play it here:

Boss 101 at Kongregate

I'll post the Newgrounds one when it's live (it's pending ad approval at the moment).

So yes! I am distributing. Good question!

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

rob1221

Your game is broken.  I see the attached screenshot but nothing I click works.

EDIT: I refreshed the browser (Firefox), and now it shows the Boss 101 start screen, but I still can't click.

EDIT: Same problem in Chrome.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:05:40 pm by rob1221 »

thegenericbanana

Your game is broken.  I see the attached screenshot but nothing I click works.

EDIT: I refreshed the browser (Firefox), and now it shows the Boss 101 start screen, but I still can't click.

EDIT: Same problem in Chrome.
Works fine for me on Kong (Chrome).
Johnny Turbo's Surgery Frenzy

rob1221

I tested with PepperFlash enabled and it works fine.  So something is wrong with your game when you detect that the player is NOT using PepperFlash.

DarkTimmy

I tested with PepperFlash enabled and it works fine.  So something is wrong with your game when you detect that the player is NOT using PepperFlash.

I did some jiggering and re-uploaded but honestly - that is one of the problems I had when Boss 101 was finished. I tested everywhere except a site with ads all over the place and using an ad preloader. With an ad wrapper and other ads displayed Stencyl's performance is drastically different than every other web test I personally ran. Sadly - I didn't really see this until the game was on Armor.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I suspect we are going to see more and more of as people use Stencyl. My expectation is it will be fixed and/or 'best standards" will become known. For me - it's a sad panda to see things like that now. It happened on Armor also - the game would have problems on load that it wasn't having anywhere else. Didn't happen on my server, my friend's server, FGL or many other places.

It's undoubtedly a combination of my meager programming skills and some Stencyl "gotcha's" which pop up only on ad based game sites (or ad sites in general).

Regardless - thanks for the heads up Rob.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

rob1221

I checked again in Firefox and it's working, so whatever changes you made may have fixed the problem.  What did you do?

DarkTimmy

I checked again in Firefox and it's working, so whatever changes you made may have fixed the problem.  What did you do?

Took out the Pepperflash detector. HA!

Yeah - I've actually considered going back over all my Boss 101 code and cleaning it up to my new standards but it's such a big codebase I am loathe to start dinking around.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!