Boss 101 - Post Mortem (and general Stencyl thoughts)

DarkTimmy

Looking forward to see your demo.
I do appreciate and am also very thankful for the community also. We can find precious and valuable help in here.

I do think Stencyl is giving us (standalone developers) a great chance to shine out there.
Its hard to have success, but we finally have a chance.

I hope I may test your demo so I can try to help you with some opinions of mine!

Yes and thank you! I am finishing up my stuff as we speak so my new revision is going up this week for sure!

-Tim
Main Site: Donley Time Foundation Facebook Page: Donley Time Foundation
Newgrounds Links!

DarkTimmy

Hey everyone,

Just put a new demo on this site. It's an upgrade from the first demo and uses a few of the new things I'm working on. There is a new, improved Make-A-Boss screen (try it out and roll a few bosses to see what you think). You can also see a little more of the up and coming levels in the sector select.

Overall, the whole game is coming along nicely and I do feel I'm on the final stretch. Still a bit of polish to do but I'm happy with the progress.

Enjoy and comment/suggestions always welcome.

-Tim

Newgrounds Links!

gfalcaor

I hope I may have some spare time to test it soon.
Too busy nowadays... almost never not turning on my notebook at home!
And at work I cannot try it. =(

But, as the weekend is coming soon I hope to test it!

Follow Me

DarkTimmy

I hope I may have some spare time to test it soon.
Too busy nowadays... almost never not turning on my notebook at home!
And at work I cannot try it. =(

But, as the weekend is coming soon I hope to test it!

Thanks, look forward to your feedback!

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

gfalcaor

Got some free time in here and I was able to test the game.
Great idea! Great game!

Nice graphics and fast paced action.

Would be good o play it using a controller instead of a keyboard!
But overall I think its a really nice work you have come up with!

Follow Me

zhero

this is good game. good graphic. good concept.
but why just few people play this game?
i dont undrstand at all. :(

if you want people play your game, you must play people game too.
dont be selfish with your game if you feel your game is great or you master with this program.
you still respect to other.

its feel sad when you make game but only few people play your game. i feel that too :(

DarkTimmy

Got some free time in here and I was able to test the game.
Great idea! Great game!

Nice graphics and fast paced action.

Would be good o play it using a controller instead of a keyboard!
But overall I think its a really nice work you have come up with!

Thank you so much. I thought about controller support and may look into it. Right now though - it's keyboard and on mobiles the virtual joystick.

Thanks again for playing!

dont be selfish with your game if you feel your game is great or you master with this program.

its feel sad when you make game but only few people play your game. i feel that too :(

Thanks for playing and the complements! I know what you mean about getting attention. I've been working away at this pretty much 24/7 for the last few months. It's great and super inspiring and I do feel confident about the games content and gameplay.

I agree about playing other people's game's more and vice versa. I do know people (especially developers) can be busy and simply do not schedule or have a lot of free time to play and review other games. From my experience I played less games the closer I got to shipping a product.

At any rate - great advice and I hope I can drum up some attention from the community. Right now I am putting together tutorials about how I made the game in the hopes I can help others out.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

zhero

just take few minutes for play other new game it doesn't mean anything (for develop)

thats not easy to make game. if you didnt do art. but you still need making behaviour system. game consept. editing tiles. background. sound and music. it need much time and not easy.

i see. thanks for your plan making tutorial. i'll be waiting for that :)

DarkTimmy

just take few minutes for play other new game it doesn't mean anything (for develop)

thats not easy to make game. if you didnt do art. but you still need making behaviour system. game consept. editing tiles. background. sound and music. it need much time and not easy.

i see. thanks for your plan making tutorial. i'll be waiting for that :)

I think I'm understanding you correctly here. I get that it doesn't take much time to play another person's game but are you directing that comment at me or is that a general comment? If it's a general comment you might want to clarify the way you word it. I work to give back to the community as much or more than I get and I feel very grateful for all the help I have gotten.

It is definitely not easy to make a game and there are really no shortcuts. I imagine anyone who has dug down and worked on a game from start to finish (or attempted to) can attest to that. I don't believe I have spoken about it in any other way.

And yes - I will be putting up a tutorial about the store as soon as I can!

Thank you for the reply!

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

gfalcaor

There are a lot of great ideas that gets passed by and nobody even heard of it.
Its a shame.

I trully understand your point. We developers should support each other. Not only by playing each other's games, but also giving feedbacks.

One way to promote your game (and receive more visitors) is to create a banner for yourself linking the game and include it on your signature.

Also an youtube channel with some videos from your game, gameplay, trailler, making off can be a channel to attract players.

Dont you agree?

Follow Me

DarkTimmy

There are a lot of great ideas that gets passed by and nobody even heard of it.
Its a shame.

I trully understand your point. We developers should support each other. Not only by playing each other's games, but also giving feedbacks.

One way to promote your game (and receive more visitors) is to create a banner for yourself linking the game and include it on your signature.

Also an youtube channel with some videos from your game, gameplay, trailler, making off can be a channel to attract players.

Dont you agree?

Wow - that's kind of obviously brilliant! WHY ARE YOU SO SMART!?!?!?! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Love it!
Newgrounds Links!

gfalcaor

LOL!!!
I see that you already did include your game on your sign!!!
But you are missing one important point there: Link your sign to your playable demo! =)
Or even to this post.
That way you will have a useful sign!

I am really happy in here that I was kind of a help for you!
=)

Ohh... now I see... you already do have links for it above the image.
But dont you agree that people tend to click on the image itself?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:05:03 pm by gfalcaor »

Follow Me

zhero

@dark timmy : nope. my word is genereal and not to the point to you :)

@gfalcaor :  thats good idea!!! XD

DarkTimmy

LOL!!!
I see that you already did include your game on your sign!!!
But you are missing one important point there: Link your sign to your playable demo! =)
Or even to this post.
That way you will have a useful sign!

I am really happy in here that I was kind of a help for you!
=)

Ohh... now I see... you already do have links for it above the image.
But dont you agree that people tend to click on the image itself?

Yep added the link to the image. Now when you click on it you go to the demo. Very smart and thank you! That was all your idea!

@dark timmy : nope. my word is genereal and not to the point to you :)

@gfalcaor :  thats good idea!!! XD

Cool deal! Look for some tutorial on the store soon!

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

DarkTimmy

I added a store to Boss 101 so you can buy little hats that give you special buffs during gameplay. I plan to put up a tutorial about how I set this up so others can see (and maybe improve) on what I did. The store keeps track of purchases, allows  equipping and unequipping as well as gives you a preview of what it looks like in game. I also added a level limiter to restrict purchases to certain levels (so you don't get too powerful too fast). Check out these screenies for a peek!

Newgrounds Links!