Boss 101 - Post Mortem (and general Stencyl thoughts)

zhero

very nice. :)

i'll be waiting for your tutorial X)
i'm plan to making my 3rd game after i'm finish making castlevania eternity :)

i'll try to added menu. equip.unequip system with your tutotrial :)

Photon

Checked out the demo. Pretty slick. I like the sense of humor too! Its kind of like a cartoon show that tries to take itself seriously even though its not. :P The gameplay is good and simple though, and has some wonderful potential.

Some things I wanted to point out:

• Sometimes multi-directional moving doesn't work. What I mean is, if you are moving horizontally, the game doesn't already register vertical moving from an up or down key press like it should.
  • Beating a level again causes the game to show the next level as unbeat, even if you did beat it. For instance, if I beat levels 1 and 2, then replay and beat level 1, the game then says level 2 is not beat.
  • Sometimes robot bodies keep flying around after you have won (after the head has fallen off).
  • I have noticed that skipping text isn't always smooth. If you skip one piece of text, you may get a shorter amount of time with the next one. I actually have a suggestion though. The article I referenced below has material about timer manipulation and resetting "delays".

Solid work so far. Keep it up!

And the article: http://photongamedev.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/the-do-after-dilemma-building-your-own-time-tracking-mechanic/

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:57:53 pm by Photon »
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

DarkTimmy

very nice. :)

i'll be waiting for your tutorial X)
i'm plan to making my 3rd game after i'm finish making castlevania eternity :)

i'll try to added menu. equip.unequip system with your tutotrial :)

YES! The tutorial is up! Check it out! I put it in the 3.0 section since that is how I made it. Don't know if it would work in 2.2 since I don't use that version.

Checked out the demo. Pretty slick. I like the sense of humor too! Its kind of like a cartoon show that tries to take itself seriously even though its not. :P The gameplay is good and simple though, and has some wonderful potential.

Some things I wanted to point out:

• Sometimes multi-directional moving doesn't work. What I mean is, if you are moving horizontally, the game doesn't already register vertical moving from an up or down key press like it should.
  • Beating a level again causes the game to show the next level as unbeat, even if you did beat it. For instance, if I beat levels 1 and 2, then replay and beat level 1, the game then says level 2 is not beat.
  • Sometimes robot bodies keep flying around after you have won (after the head has fallen off).
  • I have noticed that skipping text isn't always smooth. If you skip one piece of text, you may get a shorter amount of time with the next one. I actually have a suggestion though. The article I referenced below has material about timer manipulation and resetting "delays".

Solid work so far. Keep it up!

And the article: http://photongamedev.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/the-do-after-dilemma-building-your-own-time-tracking-mechanic/

Thank you very much! Great points you make.

• I agree about the moving code. I will probably look into it again during the debug time I have.
  • Good catch on the beating a level thing!
  • That is just part of the game you can still shoot robots after the round is over for cash. Nothing can hurt you though.
  • That article about the timing idea is AWESOME! Love it and thank you!!!!

Overall thanks so much for playing my game - totally appreciate the comments and the insights!

-Tim
Main Site: Donley Time Foundation Facebook Page: Donley Time Foundation
Newgrounds Links!

Photon

That is just part of the game you can still shoot robots after the round is over for cash. Nothing can hurt you though.
Oh wait. You know I'm talking about the boss robot body, right? Not the minions. You can also shoot the fallen boss parts for cash as well. Even if that is intended... it looks more like a bug than an intentional inclusion in my opinion (the robot boss parts, not the minions).
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

DarkTimmy

Oh wait. You know I'm talking about the boss robot body, right? Not the minions. You can also shoot the fallen boss parts for cash as well. Even if that is intended... it looks more like a bug than an intentional inclusion in my opinion (the robot boss parts, not the minions).

Ahhh gotcha!!! Thanks.

Newgrounds Links!

zhero

where is the link for your tutorial?
im use version 2.1. :(
can upload at youtube? i want see :)

DarkTimmy

where is the link for your tutorial?
im use version 2.1. :(
can upload at youtube? i want see :)

OK - you can check it out here. I put a version in the coding section:

Direct Link to Store Tutorial

Newgrounds Links!

gfalcaor

Hello...

Did your signature attract more players for your game (just a curiosity I got).
I am starting the art for my game.
So soon I may create a topic in here to show you guys my creation.

Cheers

Follow Me

Jay123

finally got some time to play your game for abit and i like it. neat game, good controls, classic retro gfx feel.. nice sfx & bg music.

only 1 thing i kinda suck at games like this  :'(

8)
I feel like i'm stuck in groundhog day - same code, same pc, same shite... no retreat, no surrender yaa !!!

DarkTimmy

Hello...

Did your signature attract more players for your game (just a curiosity I got).
I am starting the art for my game.
So soon I may create a topic in here to show you guys my creation.

Cheers

I'd like to think so but I don't know for certain. Gut feeling is yes!

-Tim

finally got some time to play your game for abit and i like it. neat game, good controls, classic retro gfx feel.. nice sfx & bg music.

only 1 thing i kinda suck at games like this  :'(

8)

Awesome and thank you for playing. I hope to make it as accessible as reasonable/possible for that type of game. I really just want people to have fun blasting things.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

zhero

hi dark. im plan to making horror rpg game. but im dont know how to make dialog box . can you help me?

DarkTimmy

hi dark. im plan to making horror rpg game. but im dont know how to make dialog box . can you help me?

It's funny you should ask. I have a couple behaviors in the 3.X Forge right now about that. Really though, I just used Meestar's behaviors for RPG dialog and modified them for myself. I think his stuff is in the 2.X Forge.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

zhero

im still dont understand to write dialog box at behaviour on rpg stencyl tutorial.
and i dont know to make switch scene ( read my  explanation below)

we have 3 point location A B C. and 2 scene.
1. starting from point A(scene 1) to point B (door)
2. from point B (door) switch scene to point C (scene 2)

my question is. how to make player  back from  scene 2 (point C) to the point B (door) scene 1 and player start from point B not from point A.

using behaviour when actor collidoes with xxx
switch scene to the xxx scene. but the actor will enter from start possition. whats is terrain??

i dont see anyone help me for this probem(im already asking at forum announce game and i dont see anyone help me). so i'm making my horror rpg game not using stencyl.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:39:46 am by zhero »

DarkTimmy

im still dont understand to write dialog box at behaviour on rpg stencyl tutorial.
and i dont know to make switch scene ( read my  explanation below)

we have 3 point location A B C. and 2 scene.
1. starting from point A(scene 1) to point B (door)
2. from point B (door) switch scene to point C (scene 2)

my question is. how to make player  back from  scene 2 (point C) to the point B (door) scene 1 and player start from point B not from point A.

using behaviour when actor collidoes with xxx
switch scene to the xxx scene. but the actor will enter from start possition. whats is terrain??

i dont see anyone help me for this probem(im already asking at forum announce game and i dont see anyone help me). so i'm making my horror rpg game not using stencyl.

If the loading example you mention above I would store the exit position of the player as a global (which you can get pretty easy from block that tell you his X and Y). From there when you go back through the return door I would just look at those blocks.

Example: Scene 1
Player walks to door.
Door is activated
Player position stored in a global
Scene 2 loaded.

Player then exits Scene 2
Scene 1 is loaded
Globals for player position are checked.
Player is put at the correct location.

Does that make sense?

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

DarkTimmy

Hey all - the game is on the final stretch. All the major work for the levels, gameplay and behavior are finished. I am in the process of doing a sound pass and debug run. I also just made a short trailer to highlight what to expect. Check it out if you have a moment! It's only a minute and I think you might enjoy it!

Best,

-Tim

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-w3ff6XpRc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U-w3ff6XpRc</a>
Newgrounds Links!