Trapped in the Haunted House

zhero

i need your oppinion for my project.
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/20164

thks :)

Meteos

I wanted to give you some feedback on your game, but I can't seem to start it up for some reason. It just stops at a white screen.

I refreshed the page like a million times, waited for awhile, pressed X, C, Up, Down, Left ,Right. Nothing Happens... ???

spoogob

Yeah its broke for some reason. Needs to try putting it up again.

zhero

i see. ok i will re publish again :)
thks for information :)

zhero

I'm done to re publish.
You can play it now. thnks ^^

zhero

Hi guys, i'm done to re published and fixed the problem
now you can play it now

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/20164

i need your support and oppinion for my project.

thks all :)

Meteos

I finished the demo, it's an all right game so far. way longer then I expected it to be. The first thing I noticed was the clashing graphics, like the bottles seem to have a different look then the girl. I'll say keep all sprites and stuff the same style unless it's a joke game of some sort.

The tiles and music are repetitive. It's just one tile put all over the place to make an area and the song repeats itself every time you go to a new spot. 

The level design could use some work. The girl could barely fit in a lot of the places, and there are a lot of dead ends and empty spots. Then there was the candle platforms, you have to jump on fire to go further?

The game also starts slow, the first levels were pretty boring and empty. Probably better to start the game in the room where you get the key, some might stop playing before they get to fight the bats. You'll need to start the actual game sooner to prevent people from quitting the game the minute after they begin playing.

The spells just shoot out from weird positions, the Normal Spell and the Special Spell comes out of her face and the upgraded spell comes out of her chest. And when you're next to a wall, it stops the shot even if you're facing in the opposite direction. Then the spells just seem to come out, she doesn't appear to really do anything. And the few last things I want to point out

The sliding is weird, you could hold down and move around freely without even moving your legs.

I think the sound that plays when you hit the boss is too loud.   

When you land after jumping, you lose all your speed. I'll rather keep it

And I'm just going to stop here, because this post is getting way to long.  :o

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:39:21 pm by Meteos »

zhero

hi meteos.
1. yeah i dont making my own art for tiles. i just use it from stencyl tools.
and for bottle. i try to making 3d sense for  my game. so thats why wine. vas is not compatible with the player.

2. actually when 1st~3rd level i making a long path cz i want user learn the player control 1st. and thats why i dont make enemy for that level.

3. when sliding leg dont move. true. i will make her move and crawling later :)

4. for music. i dont have any idea for music. i dont know what music for suppor this game. cz i can't making music.
i need sugestion about music or maybe softwre to make midy music.

5. candle.there's 3 type candle for that game.
blue : is hp for player
red : candle for bg at the 1st-3rd level.
white : its fly candle you can step on that candle.

6. yeap for boss. i will make correction for sound.

7. about spell. this is very" annoying me.
i want make the spell out from her mouth.
and for cross spell i want make it out from her hand. but i dont know how to make that.

from event behavior i put the cross and spell from center. so thats why spell out so weird spot.
maybe i must use" + " to adjust the position from spell.

btw meteos. do you know how to make separate actor like hand . so when you press button they will punch or something? i try to swith the animation when i press button "said d" but it wont switch the animation. maybe bug i think.

8. final. music from bosses im using from castlevania. i dont do music self. plese help me for music.

btw. Im happy for long response cz i make game for user play and like. thats why i need many feedback for my game . to corection my game and make it better game.
thanks for your feedback meteos. im waiting your next response :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:21:12 pm by zhero »

spoogob

4. for music. i dont have any idea for music. i dont know what music for suppor this game. cz i can't making music.
i need sugestion about music or maybe softwre to make midy music.

i think he means it keeps repeating every time you die/game changes scene. when i had a play of this yesterday, it became very iritating when i kept dying and the music would start from the beginning. try to make the music start playing when the game first starts and only there maybe.

zhero

hi spoogob.
thanks for feedback.
i already change music each 2 stage. and ive done to change sound for boss.
you can try to play again  and you wil se different and the music not irritate you hehe :)

i will remake and always updte my game more better until finish fullversion.

thank for your feedback X)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:40:34 am by zhero »

spoogob

Sounds good, will give it another look soon.

zhero

thanks.
im focus  make new enemies for underground stage now.
i'll update and publish when im done. :)

Meteos

1: Trying to have 3d looking bottle sprites together with other 2d looking sprites don't really seem like a good Idea to me. I say try your best to find sprites that fit with the rest of the sprites. I think having sprites with a dark color palette don't go too well with sprites with a much lighter color palette right next to them.

2: I say have one area at the start where the player has to use all their available moves to progress. Have pictures of the controls in the background so you can show the player everything they can do. Making them use the moves to go through the stage while you're showing them. That's what I'll do. 

3: Nice.

4: You music choice seems fine to me, Spoogob said pretty much what I was trying to say.

5: Stepping on candles is fine by me. The problem I have is that the candles are lit, you pretty much have to step on fire to progress. Players will assume you'll get hit if you touch the fire. I say get rid of the fire in the White Candle Sprite.

6: Excellent.

7: Yeah, just use the "+" and "-" blocks depending on where she's facing like:

" If sprite for self = "Girl Walk Left" or "Girl Stand Left""

"create spell at "X center of self - 60"" or something. Then edit her sprite so her hand will stick out a little bit more. That could work.

8: The music is fine to me. I don't really think you need to focus on the music right now. 

As for the sprite thing, I not exactly sure if this will help, but this is what I did. I simply had a Attribute tell the game whether the player is facing left or right and make the Character kick in that direction when the Z key was pressed, like this:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:52:00 am by Meteos »

zhero

@meteos :
1. Fire candle : ok.  i'll make when her step on fire candle it will be damage :)
2. sry. i dont know what yo mean kick on your event behavior. can i see your game ?
ah yeah.
i dont know how to make enemies will change colison and animation when  player run away from other direction.
example : enemies from right to the lef. and player from left to the right.
player jump and run away to the right. and enemies change collison and change the animation to the right follow the player without collison with something.

do you know how to make that??

3. btw. i've problem with resolution .
when i play before im publish it to stencyl arcade. the resolution and quality pixel is good.
and when i publish the resolution and qulity pixel is bad. do you know why?
ive sample when im upload at 4shared

This is my demo file
http://www.4shared.com/document/L9vYdGwj/Utsuki_the_Exorcism.html?

And this is aplication swfx for read this game
http://www.4shared.com/file/5pOJ90Yx/SWFOpenerSetup.html?

i need your help. thanks :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:16:48 pm by zhero »

Meteos

@meteos :
1. Fire candle : ok.  i'll make when her step on fire candle it will be damage :)

Hahaha...I said get rid of the fire in the candle sprite, not make the fire hurt you.

2. sry. i dont know what yo mean kick on your event behavior. can i see your game ?

Sorry, I'm not ready to upload my game yet. Waiting for stencyl 3 to come out so I can check out the Simple Physics Engine.

Just do what I did in that picture and make it so all other sprite changes don't happen when the attacking sprite is being displayed by using the "IF" blocks.  Set "facing left" to true when the player moves left or false when the player moves right. Then have the sprite change back to the corresponding sprite in about 0.2 seconds or so. You'll figure it out if you work at it for awhile.

Sorry, I have no idea bout the resolution. Never had that happen to me before...

ah yeah.
i dont know how to make enemies will change colison and animation when  player run away from other direction.
example : enemies from right to the lef. and player from left to the right.
player jump and run away to the right. and enemies change collison and change the animation to the right follow the player without collison with something.

And I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean have the enemy follower the player?

Make a global variable called "Player X"and one called "Player Y". Have the first one set to the X-center of the player in the "always"  event and the other set to the Y-center of the player.

Then make the enemies move towards the "Player X" and "Player Y" Variables. You'll work it out. Check the sensor box on the enemy's collision tab so they won't bump into walls.

I did this.