Blockboy - for iOS & Android

bonzero

Hi

This year I haven't released an app yet, and while I'm busy working on a more serious longer development app, I wanted to make something using stencyl 3 and testing the freemium model, ah and also android... the idea started when I saw Tetris Blitz, I really missed the original tight controls, so tried to made something like that, I changed things to give the game a tiny twist (and avoid problems with the big guys!) but kept the looks of the good old game.

It was a surprise to find that toucharcade.com left a review without me posting anything on their forums or marketing the app... http://toucharcade.com/2013/07/25/blockboy-review/

Hope you like it!

iOS Link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blockboy/id662739520?affId=1611348

Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eogames.blockboyfree&hl=es

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:25:07 pm by bonzero »

travisofarabia

Saw this the other day on my iPAD and had know idea it was a stencyl game, i'll have to try it out!

Abliblablobla

Congratulations bonzero!

A famous italian website called HDblog.it wrote about your game! HDblog.it has +100 000 followers on Google+ so you should get some downloads! I wish you the best of luck with your game!

Link: http://apple.hdblog.it/2013/07/29/blockboy-il-tetris-classico-del-nintendo-gameboy-in-unapp-gratuita-per-iphone-e-ipad/
.: BuruBuru :.

h1rnz1lla

heeeyy, nice saw it on toucharcade the other day, cool idea! keep us posted how it performs, i'm always interested how things go in the App Store!

bonzero

Hi again. I forgot to reply on my own thread  ??? Despite the coverage being great including that italian website and the toucharcade review & podcast the sales-downloads have been quite weak

It stayed around 2k during the release and now its about 200 per day, a simple soundboard I made gets more than that although both have been quick projects with the goal of testing something new on the appstore and so I dont get bored not releasing anything (i hadnt released an app this 2013)

The in-apps are about 1-2% of the downloads, like 40 a day during release and now 2-5, quite weak too, on the iAd side it does ok it seems like people that like the game might go back for another game

Recently ive launched a quick update fixing things that people reported and changed the icon to something more appealing, it seems to have improved the downloads a little but its too early still to tell

h1rnz1lla

cool stuff, iOS market is pain - a lot of pain. if you don't go through the roof in the first 2 weeks its very unlikely to get back in the charts. unless you spend $$$ on marketing or get into a deal with one of the free app a day promotions like impossible pixel did.

bonzero

I think the iOs market is quite fair, new releases get a push that puts you always at least in a rank 100 or 150 of your category, you have visibility for a few days... In my case the reviews werent great so it might  have contributed to the fall, also the marketing was wrong everyone felt disappointed that it wasnt the real tetris, my fault for going the nostalgic way too much and not explaining the differences

The android and amazon markets are something that i will never touch again, visibility there is zero and nobody buys, the app is not a "proper" game to highlight in any store but even the free downloads are terrible, i think I sold like 10 paid apps in the google play store since the launch. Android markets were something i wanted to try and now I can say I will never care again unless my apps have a good level of success on the app store first

bonzero

BTW free app a day type of apps are banned from the appstore now, appgratis was pulled, so no chance to have that kind of marketing anymore, now apple wants to promote yourapp or nobody else will be able to. And coverage on websites etc doesnt really matter, people grab the phone go to the charts or see the banners from the home page, that or search for terms... But I still prefer the app store to google play a million times

h1rnz1lla

sure its true about android, on the other hand with 3.0 its so easy to export to android, not doing it is almost no option.