[CLOSED]Behavior maker needed

Zikkurat

Looks like I've found someone. Thread is no longer valid.

Hi guys,

I'm a 21-year old guy from Europe and I'm completely new to making games, but I'm experienced when it comes to creating graphics. Few weeks ago I decided I'll make a platformer with a classic knight theme. At first I thought I'll do this alone, but my ideas start to surpass my skills.

Just because I'm new to this doesn't mean I'm willing to release garbage labeled "My first game guys, please don't hate", so I expect to team up with someone who is at least reliable.

I'm mostly looking for a person who can create clean and functional behaviors such as:
-Attacking with a sword
-Blocking damage with a shield
-Enemy AI (different states such as: idle, chasing player, attacking at melee range etc. also if possible defensive movements like shielding)
-Boss AI (probably similar to regular enemy AI, but enriched with spells)
-Health system (player and enemy health higher than 1hp, perhaps a health regeneration system, such as regaining hp by killing enemies)
-menu with the possibility to choose levels
-unlockable content (I dislike the idea of hidden stars/coins which are useless and I'd like to let players unlock bonus levels or comics instead)
-dialogues with npcs (talking to them either to unlock content or open some doors)
-Ranged attacks (crossbow, spells)
-Rolling (as in moving left or right very fast while being curled up)
-possibly health bars above enemies
-cutscenes
-traps (spikes, moving spikes)
-moving platforms

If you think you are capable of creating these, that's pretty much it. I plan to create 3 or 4 different locations with different themes, each would be 4-8 levels and end with a boss fight. So far I've created the base for the first location, which will be a crypt filled with dead corpses.

It's the worst possible thing to say, but unless you know how to sell games, the only reward for helping me will be "putting this into your portfolio", because I've no idea how to do that and I'm broke.

If you're interested and want to hear more about the game (story, other locations), about how fast I work or anything else, please send me a PM and/or reply in this thread. I'm attaching few pictures of how my art style looks like for this game.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:46:11 am by Zikkurat »

Tuo

For someone who has only had two posts in the forums, this one is actually rather well thought out, so good job there. I also commend you for your honesty about not knowing the marketing side of games. I've been doing this for two years now, and it's still beyond me (I know the "how", just can't ever seem to do it myself).

As for the job request, it's something that will at least require an intermediate Stencyl programmer. Melee attacks take some skill to implement, as does dialogue and AI (at least good ones). It's going to be a time commitment as well. A quick estimate would put your project at at least the 6 month mark.

If you are serious about the project (as it seems like you are), I can help out some. However, note that how I help out is moreso via teaching. I show (via my livestream) how to do things and then expect you to try them out, helping along whenever it is needed. Also, know that if you want to work with me, there will be NO premade behaviors. They will only make a game like this messier.
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Zikkurat

@Tuo
Thanks for the warm reply. I've actually stumbled upon your posts before and I've checked out your stream. I remember how disappointed I was when I realised the free version of Stencyl is not 3.0 as I used to think and I was forced to abandon my plan to examine your platformer demos.

I suppose you're right about the 6 month mark, but that's why I'm looking for a partner - so from 6 months it will go down to 2. I always liked games, but I was always amazed by the designs, the graphics and not necessarily the mechanics. I'm a graphic designer in everyday life and my hands are often full of work. Spending time on learning Stencyl programming wouldn't really be beneficial in the longer run (even though it's the simplest of them all thanks to the GUI).

Nonetheless I want this game finished and if this means learning all that stuff, then so be it. I promise that if I won't find anyone I will seek your help :) Thanks again.

zhero

Hi zik:
im begineer in stencyl.
i cant help you much. cz im still learn in this program.

you can see my game at
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/20164

btw zik. im very interest with graphic. i want make 3d character and put the 3d charcter charcter into stencyl.
but i dont know software for easy to making 3d charcter for beginer.
i heared daz studio is good software but i ve problem to install genesis.

so which softwre you used for making 3d character zik??

btw im interst selling my game too.
:)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:40:58 pm by zhero »

Zikkurat

@zhero
That's a cute game.

All 3d programs are good. People say that Autodesk 3ds Max is good for games, but the truth is that there's no difference. I use Autodesk Maya, but anything is good. Daz Studio is surely fine as well.

Unfortunately, as far as I know Stencyl doesn't support 3D models, so you would probably have to make a stop frame animation out of it. Cheers.

zhero

thanks zik. im progress to finishing this game.
i'll publish when im finish my fullversion.

do you know which one the easiest 3d modelling for beginner??

yeah. i must make frame by frame then upload to stencyl.
im used unity softwre to make games. but its very dificult to me.
i dont undrstand to make character. and etc.
thats why i want make it to stencyl.
arcade semi 3d i think. like castlevania from psp :)

Tuo

Zik, the only 3.0-exclusive demos are my simple and complete platformers (which replace the 3-part series that is exclusive to 2.2). I have plenty of demos for 2.2. Search for "Demo-" and see for yourself ;). Or, go through the tutorial: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Abigayl/stencyl-2-0-tutorial-1-basics

As for my time estimate... that was 6 months WITH help... likely a year or more without... Unless developing games is your full-time job, it's not going to be a 2 month process.

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Zikkurat

Well, I'm still a student, now I've got few months of holiday and I can work day and night on the project. I'll let you know how long it took us.

About those demos, I think something's messed up with my Stencyl. I'm using the version for OS X and when I type demo- or anything else from your projects nothing appears. I tried different stuff, but nothing worked out. :( Seems like I won't need it anymore though.

Tuo

Make sure you are in the games section of the forge before searching for the "demo-"