Quaintbrush

Epic428

That is very interesting. I wonder why that is the case. Anyone else have a guess?
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Hectate

More pixels? It's double the number, in fact.

307,200 vs. 614,400.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Jesse

But it's still just a regular Jump and Run kit - it's really bare and that shouldn't warrant a 33% drop in FPS.

This is a concerning issue, especially once we move forward with iStencyl. 960x640 is now the iPhone standard, and it only gets larger once you start porting to the iPad -- 1024×768.

I did another test and removed everything in the scene except for the player actor and five tiles under him. There was only a 2-3 FPS increase.

EDIT: Hectate -- I don't think that's true.
If I run the same game under 480x320 resolution, with a 2x scale (same amount of pixels) the game runs fine at 60 FPS.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:24:19 am by Jesse »

Hectate

But with the 2x scale, it's just the final render that's being doubled - no extra calculations are needed. With an actual resolution increase, the flash/AS3 is having to calculate the values of all those extra pixels whether they end up different or not.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Epic428

I'm not sure though, I mean, the size is not atrociously huge, it is big, but given how little there is on the screen, I don't think a 30FPS drop would be warranted. I haven't checked, though, to see if it happens on my end.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Jesse

I'm sticking with a smaller window size because I have enough lag problems to worry about already. :/
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/2166

So far there's a couple issues with it:
- Jump animation won't play at all, even though it should override everything in the animation manager (using jump and run kit).
- Paint is still really, really laggy, but it's temporary.
- Can't get a collision response with the paint. My code is this:
Code: [Select]
package scripts
{
import flash.display.BlendMode;
import flash.events.*;
import flash.net.*;
import flash.filters.*;

import Box2DAS.Collision.*;
import Box2DAS.Collision.Shapes.*;
import Box2DAS.Common.*;
import Box2DAS.Dynamics.*;
import Box2DAS.Dynamics.Contacts.*;
import Box2DAS.Dynamics.Joints.*;

import stencyl.api.data.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.actor.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.behavior.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.bg.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.font.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.scene.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.sound.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.tile.*;
import stencyl.api.engine.utils.*;

import org.flixel.*;

public dynamic class Design_209_209_PlayerControl extends ActorScript
{

public var _RedPaint:ActorType;
override public function init():void
{
    doesCustomDrawing();
    handlesCollisions();
    _RedPaint = getActorType(434);
}
override public function update():void
{
}
override public function handleCollision(event:Collision):void
{

if (event.collidedWithActor)
    {
        if (sameAs(event.actorB, _RedPaint))
        {
            setGameAttribute("p_color", "red");
        }
    }
}
override public function draw(g:Graphics, x:Number, y:Number):void
{
    g.translateToScreen();
    g.drawString("" + (getGameAttribute("p_color") as String), 10, 10);
}

public function Design_209_209_PlayerControl(actor:Actor, scene:GameState)
{
super(actor, scene);
}

override public function forwardMessage(msg:String):void
{

}
}
}

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:17:38 pm by Jesse »

Jesse

I really want to get some ground with this but at this pace I'm afraid I can't do it alone.

I'm looking for an experienced programmer -- preferably someone who can work with code mode -- to partner up with me on Quaintbrush.

This is certainly a challenging task in the sense that you need to be very aware of performance issues, but once the bumps are smoothed out this should be a very quick port, since the game is essentially already done on another platform.

After last nights Ludum Dare results, I'm excited to continue pushing Quaintbrush forward. I hope to port the game to the iOS and take it places. This is a great opportunity if you're interested in exploring game publishing as well.

EDIT: Position filled.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:40:46 pm by Jesse »

Jesse

Quaintbrush, now running on StencylWorks at 60 FPS.

A huge thanks to Alexin, who has joined me as the new programmer.
Three out of twenty levels have been ported. Expect a full release by June 24, 2011.

Epic428

Congratulations Jesse! I've been soo busy lately, I hadn't even had any time to sit down and come up with a good way to perform the drawing actions like you were looking for, but I'm glad that Alexin was able to assist you with this. I look forward to playing it when it is completed!

Jesse

The brush mechanics are now mostly complete, thanks to Alexin.

Expect a demo containing all of the original red-brush levels in the coming days.

Alexin

Greg, I'm interested in the behavior to resize collision shapes. Any chance you share it, please?
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Jon

Greg, I'm interested in the behavior to resize collision shapes. Any chance you share it, please?

Contact him directly for this.

Alexin

I totally forgot about this and I don't quite remember why I wanted it.
Anyway, you're right, those requests are best done via PMs.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com