Black and White inspired, 2D, topdown view

Chorcon

Game: Black and White 2D (Working title)
Project plan: http://db.tt/0ZrS6PA3 - This is a shortened DropBox link. It will be updated with every significant change.

Hellow there, fellow Stencylians.

I am, and have always been, a great fan of Black and White. Even though the sequel wasn't as awesome as the first game, there's just something about being a God that feels quite good.

My most recent idea is to make a flash game widely inspired by Black and White. It will be a top-down view, and quite probably rather simple graphics. I am nothing but a rookie when it comes to Stencyl, and I've made nothing but simple games so far. I am however quite prepared to work with this project for some time, and I'm not the first to give up if I don't find solutions to what I want to achieve.

I'd like to make each stage an island with several tribes/villages and your objectives would vary between getting a certain number of believers, a certain percentage of believers and possibly to wipe out other Gods. Other objective types might be concidered as well.

I'd like to implement influence zones, believers, godly creatures, rioters, spells, scores and upgrades.

Under NO circumstances do I want to implement micro transactions or adds. I'll just have to mention that. What I might concider, if I'm happy enough with the final product, is to add a feature to communicate scores and what-not via social media. Also, I might like a feature where you can post certain events to a social media, and gain some extra "believers" based on feedback from your contacts. Obviously a "cheap trick" to spread the word about the game, but also for the player to gain "bragging rights".

The reason I want to make this post is to ask you, yes, YOU, what your thoughts about such a game is. Also, trying to tell people about my game forces me to make abstract ideas into something more concrete, and it'll help my planning process.
Do you think it's going to be fun for anyone besides myself, and what sort of functions do you think is vital for such a game? I'll do my best to complete this game even though there'd be no interest of it online. However, if it proves interesting to the community, that would surely be an additional motivational boost for myself.

I hope this project will stay alive, and if there is at all any interest of it, I'll gladly post updates and read feedback and/or suggestions over the course of the creation process.

Thank you all for your time.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:23:17 am by Chorcon »
- Chorcon,
 The friendly warlock

colburt187

First thing I need to do is play Back and White, I've not heard of it.

It sounds cool but very complicated to build, are you sure Stencyl is capable of such a project?

I wish you luck and support for such a big project and look forward to trying some early demos.

Chorcon

First thing I need to do is play Back and White, I've not heard of it.

It sounds cool but very complicated to build, are you sure Stencyl is capable of such a project?

I wish you luck and support for such a big project and look forward to trying some early demos.

First things first. Let me go ahead and STRONGLY recommend that you try it whenever you can. It is truly brilliant, and best of all, you get to be a God .. WITH A PET! Also, even though I personally prefer the original, you should, if you'd like, try the sequel. It's still a great game, if just a little more restricted in some ways.

When it comes to Stencyl and its capabilities, I am not really sure if it is at all capable to build such a project, but I am more than willing to give it a try! :D

Lastly, thank you for your best wishes and thank you for leaving a reply. Any sort of interest means a great deal to me. I will make sure to publish a link whenever there's anything at all to try! :3

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:23:31 am by Chorcon »
- Chorcon,
 The friendly warlock

jaybdemented

i had this same idea for a black and white game.  it is beyond my skill set at the moment so i droped it in favor of smaller games for the time. that being said im all for this if you cqn pull it off. 

Chorcon

i had this same idea for a black and white game.  it is beyond my skill set at the moment so i droped it in favor of smaller games for the time. that being said im all for this if you cqn pull it off. 

I've given myself just a couple o' weeks to make the very first, near-empty sandbox demo. Other than that I figured I might use around a year just to get it close to playable with all the intended features.

I hope I manage to make something of interest, and that the final product wont be to different from what I have in mind.

Thanks for your reply and interest. It means the world to me!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:23:43 am by Chorcon »
- Chorcon,
 The friendly warlock

mbuist

Sure this can be done. I don't think it needs that much time. Just create one scene call it sandbox. And the create the nessecerry behavoirs. Test it the way it should work then copy that scene (this way it keep the behavoirs otherwise you need to attach them all over again) Then finetune every scene with extra behavoirs.

Bear in mind that you need to have a good game design first. Especially with the scene. what scene is connecting with what scene.

As for the social thing you want. That is currently not possible in stencyl unless you can write an exention.

ow and do create this in 3.0 so you can port it to more platforms and reconsider using ads etc. You have to make some cash for your time.
Visit my arcade site - http://www.tincubegames.com/
Read all about my games at - http://www.tincubemedia.nl
Please follow Tincube Media on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tincubemedia

As a final touch.. GOD created the Dutch

Chorcon

Sure this can be done. I don't think it needs that much time. Just create one scene call it sandbox. And the create the nessecerry behavoirs. Test it the way it should work then copy that scene (this way it keep the behavoirs otherwise you need to attach them all over again) Then finetune every scene with extra behavoirs.

Bear in mind that you need to have a good game design first. Especially with the scene. what scene is connecting with what scene.

As for the social thing you want. That is currently not possible in stencyl unless you can write an exention.

ow and do create this in 3.0 so you can port it to more platforms and reconsider using ads etc. You have to make some cash for your time.

Thanks for your reply, mbuist. It really means a lot to me. Your positive attitude motivates me a good deal too.

It might not need that much time, but that's my mindset, so that I can easier motivate myself through "rough times" when the game seems to be working against me.

My plan so far, is to make just a sandbox. It'll probably exist as a game mode later on as well.
I do perfer to make all non-spesific behaviours as scene behaviour, and then attach them later on. To copy it and edit might be a good idea, but then again, it might prove to make a couple of bugs if some detail is overlooked. That's my experience, anyway. When I make behaviours, though, I aim to make them easy to configure, and hence reattaching them should be no problem.

Regarding the game design and the scenes, I will probably end up with some sort of menu, leading to a level selection screen, and when you're done with a level, you'll be bumped back to the level selection or the next level directly, depending on what button you press.

The social feature isn't a big deal, but rather a feature I might look into at some point if I find the need for it. It might be added as a feature in Stencyl later on, if we're lucky.

When it comes to ads, or even microtransactions (like paying 0.99$ for several extra believers or simmilar) is not impossible, but highly improbable.
I find that when I play a game, I like to play the game without annoying disruptions. Microtransactions aint that bad, but it often leads to the game being unplayable unless you pay anyway.

The money aint a big issue anyway. I make this game because I enjoy making games, and I'd like to share it for free. If people choose to play my game, that's payment enough :) And to be fair, I'm acctually at work right now, but I still have time to work at my game at the same time, so I am allready getting payed for my time ^^

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:24:02 am by Chorcon »
- Chorcon,
 The friendly warlock

Warzone Gamez

thats sounds like a epic game, cant wait for it to come out, only problem, it will be a long time before it comes out. its sound like a pretty complex idea and will definatly take long time. but it sounds like it will be worth the time. tell me when it comes out.
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267

GeorgeN

For this kind of projects Stencyl 3 might be better than Stencyl 2(it won't get any feature ever). But Stencyl 3 might have extensions(i'm have in plan to release a Facebook extension for Android in September). Also with Stencyl 3 you can export to different platforms(like Windows or mobile).

For Flash you can get sponsors on FGL that will put their brand in your game and you get paid.
On mobile ads and/or microtransaction. Look at Cut the Rope. They have ads in the end screen and a button ''Disable ads'' (a $0.99microtransaction that remove the ad banners).

My advice is to plan as much as you can before start working. Write all down. After that split your entire projects in big tasks and these big tasks in small tasks and so on. Start working with a TODO list in front of you. When you finish a task cut it from the list. It will keep you motivated.

Making games is not that easy but also not impossible. With proper planning you will do it. And don't let bugs bring you down. Bugs can be solved. If you work in small steps you can kill bugs efficient.

Good luck!

Chorcon

thats sounds like a epic game, cant wait for it to come out, only problem, it will be a long time before it comes out. its sound like a pretty complex idea and will definatly take long time. but it sounds like it will be worth the time. tell me when it comes out.

Hi Warz!
I'm very happy to hear about your interest for the game. I will do my outmost to keep the project alive, though, naturally, it will take some time as it's a project I will have to work on in my spare time. I will make sure to keep this post as updated as necessary, and I will most definately tell you guys when it's done.

Your interest is very important to me. Thanks a lot for your comment.

For this kind of projects Stencyl 3 might be better than Stencyl 2(it won't get any feature ever). But Stencyl 3 might have extensions(i'm have in plan to release a Facebook extension for Android in September). Also with Stencyl 3 you can export to different platforms(like Windows or mobile).

For Flash you can get sponsors on FGL that will put their brand in your game and you get paid.
On mobile ads and/or microtransaction. Look at Cut the Rope. They have ads in the end screen and a button ''Disable ads'' (a $0.99microtransaction that remove the ad banners).

My advice is to plan as much as you can before start working. Write all down. After that split your entire projects in big tasks and these big tasks in small tasks and so on. Start working with a TODO list in front of you. When you finish a task cut it from the list. It will keep you motivated.

Making games is not that easy but also not impossible. With proper planning you will do it. And don't let bugs bring you down. Bugs can be solved. If you work in small steps you can kill bugs efficient.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the good tips, George!
I see that the planning advice you give pretty much coencide with my current practices. This is good news to me. Ads and microtransactions isn't a big deal to me. The most important piece of this puzzle is, to me, to get my game finished and out there for people to enjoy.

Bugs are indeed the greater challenge. I cannot count on one hand how often I've made a plan on how to solve something, acctually made all the arrangements I thought would be needed, put it all together, and somewhy - it wont work.
 Luckily, troubleshooting and fixing bugs and such is one of the most exiting things to me. It leaves me with a feeling of achievement whenever I can acctually solve the problem, and I learn the most from those events. Sadly, though, troubleshooting may take a long time, and then delay the development of the game.

Anyhow, I thank you for your interest and your comment. Know that all of your feedback is very important to me, and keeps me going!
- Chorcon,
 The friendly warlock