The Game I Passed for my Thesis [open-beta]

caimomile

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21133

This is a collaboration project between 4 people.  I was the programmer and main developer.  The other was the BG artist, the other was the animator, the last acted as a consultant.

Haven't really had the chance to properly playtest the game so it may not be balanced.  Only releasing it here in stencyl first before releasing to other portals like kong/newgrounds.  I'm hoping for some playtests.

My thesis topic was "fear", hence the game's general direction.

Edit:

the game requires a decent rig.  it may lag on older computers.

aroncruce

Its pretty awesome the mood is very good awesome sound. Dont care for the animation so much of the main character. I played until I got to the second floor and it felt a little repettitive but other wise excellent job. Also I dont think the computer needs to be good to play it I think all of the effects and things are really bogging the game down. What frame rate are you getting?

caimomile

thanks for the feedback.  the game picks up after the 2nd floor since the 1st 2 levels are the tutorials which i did for player familiarization.

To answer your specs, I'm getting 40-60 fps (msi gt780dx). actually it really does need high specs because the game is calculation intensive. to make the rotating stage work, I needed to calculate the physics - the gravity, the movements, the collisions, everything - manually.  yep, it was a stupid move that cost so much performance and I realized it at a point where redoing it would mean not meeting the thesis deadline.

I'm actually aware that the game is a little boring.  I plan to rebuild it from scratch without being bound by what the school expects (yeah, following the advise of non-gaming professors isn't a good idea), recycling the assets.

aroncruce

I loved the spiders they were creepy and the charge mechanic was great. Thats awesome frame rate btw. One thing I forgot to mention the dialogue killed me. It said to press space to advance dialogue so I was hoping it would take away the animation and let me read the whole thing at one but it skips the whole dialogue. And it typed sooo slow I just started skipping it all

caimomile

thanks!  I'll do your dialogue suggestion on that in the next games I'll make.  I'll also probably do away with the needless stage revolution mechanic sine it requires so much calculations.  Tbh, my primary reason for implementing it was because I thought it was pretty neat and challenging to code after seeing Odin's Sphere. hahaha.  Plus maybe I'll increase the game's pace since it's pretty dull.

LontaBeans

Nice job! Nice sounds, nice everything.  :)
Skype name: lontabeans (add me)

Warzone Gamez

the game lags pretty bad, but we have a kinda old computer.
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267