iOS Video Player

Dom818

As soon as Jon posted about being able to include arbitrary files into our games, I instantly thought of how cool a videos extension would be. I started coding it, ran into an absurd amount of problems and eventually came up with a working video player.

The extension allows you to stream videos from a website or play them locally from the device in one block.

Streaming Videos:
-Simply put the URL of the video you want to stream in the play video block
-Make sure you put the http://

Local Videos:
-Add the videos you want to the app ( How to include arbitrary data in projects)
-I recommend using mp4 videos but others may work too. Feel free to try others and post if they work
-Try not to use extremely large files. The extension must first copy the video to the tmp directory before it plays so you don't want it to take long to start

NOTE: Currently, only lowercase names without numbers are supported for local files. I am actively looking into how to remove this restriction.
Code: [Select]
Changelog:
-Updated help website
-Adds the option to play the video with or without controls
-Removed some debug statements
-Initial release
I hope everyone enjoys this extension!

(Update: Download the 64-bit compatible version)

The link on this page is also now 64-bit compatible (courtesy of MaxGlocking).

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:00:20 pm by Dom818 »

1MrPaul1

this is for ios only, is it possible to use it on android or windows?

Dom818

this is for ios only, is it possible to use it on android or windows?

At the moment it is iOS only. I might research how to make it work on other platforms.

Jon

If you figure this out on Android, I'll consider rolling this into the core (keeping as an extension but auto-including which is how the ads and purchases extensions work).

Dom818

I'll look into android support this weekend. With a quick search on google, I have found guides on how to play video on android. It will just be a matter of tying it into an extension.

GuyCockcroft

Hi.
I've been toying with the video player extension, and it works really well. I was just wondering if there was a way to suppress the transport controls and "Done" button, and just let the video play to its end without any user intervention.

Any help appreciated.

Dom818

Hi.
I've been toying with the video player extension, and it works really well. I was just wondering if there was a way to suppress the transport controls and "Done" button, and just let the video play to its end without any user intervention.

Any help appreciated.

Yep, I can do that. Think I should make an option that toggles the controls on or off?

GuyCockcroft

That would be perfect - thank you!

Dom818

That would be perfect - thank you!

Done, check the first post to get the update.

GuyCockcroft

That. Is. Perfect. Thank you so much!

mat0pad

How far are you with the andriod extension? I could very much use this (ios & andriod) for my uncoming game.

Dom818

How far are you with the andriod extension? I could very much use this (ios & andriod) for my uncoming game.

I have videos playing in Eclipse (Android IDE). I still need to wrap that code into this extension and test it. I've been held back from wiring on this due to college. I can assure you that it is still being worked on though.

mat0pad

That great! If you need help testing it just say the word ;)

bonzero

Wow. Excellent for sharing a trailer or playing an intro or who knows...  Its a pleasure to check this forum everyday and find extensions like this, thanks a lot

Dom818

Wow. Excellent for sharing a trailer or playing an intro or who knows...  Its a pleasure to check this forum everyday and find extensions like this, thanks a lot

You're welcome!