Chartboost Mobile Ads (Updated Apr 27)

Neotron

Is it normal when a Chartboost interstitial ad popup and I close it with mobile Back button (not the X) the game "exit"?
With Admob simple close the ad and no exit the game.
This is a problem because if I resume the game with mobile Home button, Admob smart banner ads not shown anymore until I restart the game.

rob1221

Yes it's normal because I don't override the back button, and I believe Stencyl lets you do this anyway.  If you close the Chartboost ad normally and then restart, does Admob still not show?

Neotron

I already overrode the back button in all of my games, if I press it should back to the previous screen, not "exit" from the game.
Admob interstitial close normally when I press Back button, not exit the game.
If I close Chartboost ad normally (with X) then no need to restart the game because interstitial will close well, and Admob banner also show well.

In a nutshell Stencyl "forgot" Back button overrode when Chartboost interstitial shown up, and that is not good because many user use back button to close ads, and If they return and don't see Admob banners that reduce income drastically.

rob1221

That's odd.  I'll look into it and see if anything can be done.

Neotron

Ok, thank you Rob! Btw, I enabled test mode at Chartboost dashboard for one of my game to check how the ads look.
I can see all test interstitials well, but don't see Startup interstitial, test Rewarded video, and Moreapps adtypes. I should be seen them in Chartboost Test Mode?

rob1221

Some online searching shows that there are other game dev programs that have the same problem, and I didn't see any solutions.  It's just something that Chartboost does (ignores key input and thus the back button override).

I don't remember seeing test ads for other ad types besides interstitial.  Startup interstitials should be showing since they use the same code.  Did you enable startup ads first?

Neotron

Oh, I see. However that is a Stencyl related "bug" if the game exit suddenly with a not overwritten Exit button press, then "relaunch" the game (which is still in the memory) Admob banner ad disappear...

On the first scene I initialized Chartboost IDs then added "Enable Startup Ads  for Interstitial" block, and interstitial not shown.  Should I cache before adding "Enable Startup Ads  for Interstitial" ?

rob1221

Startup ads cannot be shown on the first run of the game because behaviors come after the startup.  You have to exit and open the game again for them to show.

Neotron

I wrote to Chartboost support and they said ads should be closed if back button pressed and game should not exit.

They wrote:
"This sounds like an issue with your view controller or how you set up scenes and not necessarily related to Chartboost, however, I would need to know a lot more information regarding your coding environment to offer up a better solution."

Do you have any idea, how can we resolve this bug?

Neotron

As I see in the Chartboost SDK Guide we should add this code to the activity and it will close the ad when Back button pressed:

@Override
public void onBackPressed() {
    // If an interstitial is on screen, close it.
    if (Chartboost.onBackPressed())
        return;
    else
        super.onBackPressed();
}

Is it possible to add it to the extension somehow?

rob1221

The Extension class by OpenFL does not use onBackPressed(), so it can't be overridden.

orllon

I have it set up that it should only show interstitial ads, but i keep getting videos ads as well as full screen interstitials. How to I get only full screen interstitials?

rob1221

What are your campaigns for the app?  Just one set to static interstitial?

aterzakis

I am testing the add and i have a problem. The add did'nt appear every time. I am in testing mode. I am from Europe.
Is this common problem?

HTML tutorial" style="width:114px;height:114px;border:0
HTML tutorial" style="width:104px;height:104px;border:0 HTML tutorial" style="width:104px;height:104px;border:0
Stop The Terrorist         Travel Bird                  Number