2.5D Game Test

leodaguy

Hi,
Recently I've been brainstorming, and thought a 2.5D game would be nice to make. So I did. The results were quite great. I also messed around with the tiles for a while and made some weird 3D-type landscape. 2.75D, maybe? ???

See it here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21544
My website will return "shortly"
("Shortly" meaning "in several months or so")

Photon

They way you switch lanes/planes is a little weird.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

philandy

I actually played a game that used this as a mechanic, and it was similarly touchy and glitchy. What I like about this is you're not focusing on the Escher elements, sort of like this is to be expected so this is much more realistic.

letmethink

Not to be harsh, but this isn't really 2.5D. To me, 2.5D mean that the actual floor view changes when you jump. This is basically 2d with a small twist.
~Letmethink

miaubian

for me, 2.5D is everything that simulates 3D with 2D elements. Like parallax scrolling, isometric view and bump mapping for example.

So this fits in the category (for me) :)

Take a look at gregs layer manager (layer manager on forge) to add some cool layering effects and maybe go for a 8 way movement and try simulate the jumping or something. that would be really cool :)

letmethink

for me, 2.5D is everything that simulates 3D with 2D elements. Like parallax scrolling, isometric view and bump mapping for example.
Ahh, for me it is the opposite. For me 2.5D is something that simulates 2d with 3d elements and environment.
~Letmethink

miaubian

»2.5D (...) used to describe either 2D graphical projections and similar techniques used to cause a series of images (or scenes) to simulate the appearance of being three-dimensional (3D) when in fact they are not, or gameplay in an otherwise three-dimensional video game that is restricted to a two-dimensional plane.»

source: wikipedia

seems we are both right :D

leodaguy

Yeah... Forgot about that. I haven't played 2.5D games in a long time. Maybe I might do something where the scenes switch, and you can see the other platforms in the distance that you can later get to. Doesn't seem hard to me, it's just regular scene switching and making background elements. But of course, I would have to make all of it in sync to give it a great feel. It may seem a little confusing but I might make a test for that at some point in this week.

vikingpotato

This isn't 2.5d.. you should play something like shank or double dragon.. this is just an impractical 2d game... good luck to you, nice try though!

hdesign

where is the 0.5d?

leodaguy

As I said in my last post, I was sharing ideas for making it almost like a 2.5D game.

hdesign

;D where you from?

leodaguy

Uhh... what? Why would I need to share that...

lava flame2

#whydoesdownchangeyouintoaweirdcubethatsharesnoresemblancetotheactualcharacter?

jffilion83

Nice try !  8)

Ive been working on a 2.5D arcade shooter, heres the current built in action :)

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21491

and also good ol' Manuf Riders.... Sprite scaling glory hehe

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21451

2.5D Power !

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:56:42 am by jffilion83 »