option to name a tile

Jay123

When using the tile api i think it would be nice to be able to access a tile by calling the tile by its name. eg. 'grass', 'snow' etc. that way wouldn't have to constantly look at the tileset for the tile id and the tileset id and it'd make life alot easier. It's not a biggy but would be nice to have in the future.
 :)

EDIT - also see option for tile group names below

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:12:25 pm by Jay123 »
I feel like i'm stuck in groundhog day - same code, same pc, same shite... no retreat, no surrender yaa !!!

Jay123

i'd like to add to this, if also a variable could be used to give a tile a group name.
eg. Tile Name: somename, Tile Group: somegroup.

this group name could be used to reference certain tiles to do things. eg. if you had 3 grass tiles, grass1, grass2, grass3 and you wanted a particular thing to happen on grass only you could just check for the group name 'grass'. of course this would all work in with the Tile Api and has nothing to do with actor groups, names etc.
I feel like i'm stuck in groundhog day - same code, same pc, same shite... no retreat, no surrender yaa !!!

rob1221

I don't know if those blocks would be used enough to be worth adding to the tile API.  A list of lists will probably work for that.

Jay123

hi Rob, ya i just made a simple example but when you're dealing with it on a huge scale you get my drift how it could be useful. For me many non moving actors are now tiles, including collisions as i know for the time being actors alone for overall performance superiority cannot be relied upon. I have to admit my game is quiet ambitious and maybe only a small majority would use. i don't know but it would open up doors and make things more accessible that's for sure.