PlayerIO (On Hold) (Flash)

gamegirlxl

I think this is a difference of semantics. Server code is meant to be code literally run remotely on a server. Making HTTP requests to a remote server isn't considered to be "server code" even though it is networking in a really broad sense.

Probably, although I can't think of a better name for it.  I guess you COULD host your own database from the same computer that was running the "networking server" Stencyl game thing (recursively), though.

Where would you find a server to execute some code of yours, anyways?

SadiQ

Where would you find a server to execute some code of yours, anyways?
Step 1: Rent a server or make one from your computer.
Install Apache. Create some application on it using whatever language you need (PHP ?) to listen to requests on a specific port and deliver some data when it's requested.
Create a game in stencyl and use the GET block to receive whatever you created on the server. That's about all you can do right now in Stencyl.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gamegirlxl

Step 1: Rent a server or make one from your computer.
Install Apache. Create some application on it using whatever language you need (PHP ?) to listen to requests on a specific port and deliver some data when it's requested.
Create a game in stencyl and use the GET block to receive whatever you created on the server. That's about all you can do right now in Stencyl.

I literally just said that I can make a server out of my computer :-\ ...  I meant ONLINE, where do you find someplace to do that...?

rob1221

PlayerIO has been bought by Yahoo and is now the Yahoo Games Network.  There are now client-side APIs for iOS and Android, but the iOS one uses a framework which isn't compatible with OpenFL extensions.  Regardless, I'm still not working on this right now especially with SadiQ and Mdotedot getting ready with their Nuggeta extension.

paala

Hi Rob,

I am interested in making a extension for openFL for PlayerIO and I found this.
Why do you say that the iOS is using a framework that is not compatible with OpenFL extensions?
If is impossible to make an extension for iOS the whole project would be useless.

Thanks

rob1221

OpenFL doesn't support any third party frameworks in extensions.

paala

Hi,
But how about this Facebook extension
 https://github.com/hyperfiction/HypFacebook
The extension is using Facebook framework , and the framework is linked in xcode.
What is the difference between facebook extension(or facebook framework) and this(or playerio framework)?

Thanks

rob1221

That extension uses a set of source files, not a framework.

paala

Can you point me to an official page that mentions this limitation?
Also I found :
http://www.openfl.org/archive/community/general-discussion/custom-framework-ios-extension-xcode5/
Why this isn't working for player io?
Thanks

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:14:41 pm by paala »

rob1221

He modified the OpenFL source files in some way but there isn't enough information.

paala

He says:
However, if I want to use a custom Framework, and try compiling it, the Framework is not found.
I have to set it manually on "Build Phases", "Link Binary With Libraries", and then compiles OK.

From this I understand  that in xcode project he has to link the framework manually each time for the project to work , and he found a solution to autolink it every time.
But I wouldn't mind if I had to link the playerIO framework manually each time.

Hectate

I found an interesting tutorial on using Player.IO and thought this was a good place to share it as any.

http://jacklehamster.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/tutorial-create-realtime-multiplayer-games-using-player-io-part-1-server/
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SadiQ

I found an interesting tutorial on using Player.IO and thought this was a good place to share it as any.

They seem to have a very similar approach with Nuggeta, except they can add server logic in java. They create the server the same way, they allow the creation of rooms (games), filters and so on.
The realtime connections can also be achieved with Nuggeta but only for flash targets (note: not available in the nuggeta extension).
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

paala

Nuggeta cannot have realtime connection to android and ios ?? I doubt

SadiQ

Nuggeta cannot have realtime connection to android and ios ?? I doubt

Currently the Nuggeta Extension uses the Haxe OpenFL API provided by Nuggeta, and that only allows non realtime connections for all targets.