Virtual Joysticks [b26]

Jon

One thing that some of the more hardcore games include is a virtual joystick. This is now available to you in the next build of iStencyl (b26) as a natively supported feature. You just need to use a block and provide 2 images to enable it.

Once you do, you then use 2 blocks - one for direction and one for magnitude, to do whatever you need to do.

I've attached a walkaround demo that demonstrates this all in action.
(THIS ONLY WORKS IN b26+, not the current build you have)

mikefish

Very cool!  Is the distance and direction measured in px and degrees?  Will we have the ability to manipulate the joystick like any other actor (changing position and visibility)?

Rhys

Very cool!  Is the distance and direction measured in px and degrees?  Will we have the ability to manipulate the joystick like any other actor (changing position and visibility)?
The joystick's distance is measured in a scale of 0 to 1, 1 being the furthest away from the center. I'm not sure about moving the stick/making it static.

fanstudio

Wow, can't wait to test this :)

Jon

Let me know what other kinds of parameters you'd like to control, and I can look into it. It sounds like you'd like to change the way/timing it appears.

Jon

For now, you can use these 2 placeholder graphics for outer and inner respectively to test this out.

Jon

For b34, you can now switch the joystick mode between Display Where Pressed (default) and Fixed in Mobile Game Settings.

If it's in fixed mode, you can set the location of it using a pair of new blocks.

Aasimar

If it's in fixed mode, you can set the location of it using a pair of new blocks.

Not implanted in b34 ?
The only new block I have is <Missing>, it's a bug or a feature ? lol

Rhys

On the finder under "Debug" select "Reupgrade Stencylworks". Then redownload the sw.jar for your patch version. This should update the english language pack.

Aasimar

Don't work, same problem after re-upgrading

Rhys

Jon, can you make sure the Strings are updated? (or find some way to distribute them without reupgrading)

Jon

Oops, I forgot again. None of this will happen once our server side builds get going, and then there's no chance for user error on my part.

Try now.

Aasimar

Yes it's good now ! Thanks Jon !