Opinions on My Character

legodude2222

I made this character and i would like to know if you guys think it looks good, like if you wouldn't mind playing as a character like this for a game. All feedback is appreciated.
Making games, one error at a time.

gamegirlxl

It looks pretty generic, for starters.  There's no shading and doesn't really look right, and it's only one frame.

That said, some games use a plain square as the playable character, however it fits the style and they were good games.  I would suggest that you possibly look over pixel art tutorials and tutorials to help get the body shape to look right.

miaubian

i did a quick paint over. maybe this helps you

1: your design

2: added shading. do not use pure black or white an a bit less saturated colors. added an ear :)

3: added elbow

4: you could use a stylized, pixelated style. some people really like it, and its faster. but it can be hard to do scenery and stuff.

google character design there are some good tutorials about it. this character is generic and i cant tell anything about his story. add a hardhat for example if he is a worker, torn clothes if he is a post-apocalyptic zombie hunter, and so on. :)

legodude2222

2: added shading. do not use pure black or white an a bit less saturated colors. added an ear :)

4: you could use a stylized, pixelated style. some people really like it, and its faster. but it can be hard to do scenery and stuff.

google character design there are some good tutorials about it. this character is generic and i cant tell anything about his story. add a hardhat for example if he is a worker, torn clothes if he is a post-apocalyptic zombie hunter, and so on. :)
Thanks. I will look more into pixel art tutorials and the like, and thank you for the example.

miaubian

no problem :)
take a look at painting in general. all the rules apply to pixel art too

marcumgames

Very basic. Keep at it, and like the others said, Pixel art tutorials, and art in general.  If it's a simple game, keep it simple.  Also, look at other peoples art, like Super Mario Brothers, see how they do it.
I own Marcum Games

legodude2222

How about now? (sorry that i kept the face, but i thought that it looked really good. everything else I did myself though. I also included a gif so different frames can be seen.

gamegirlxl

He no longer looks like a rectangle.  :D  You're getting better.  What you have now might be able to be used in a game, but I suggest you keep on developing your spriting abilities.  Your animation doesn't look quite right (his legs look like they are compressing unrealistically), but I think that improving your abilities would be the best way to improve that.  You have the basics of animation down (somewhat), and you successfully made a .gif.

One thing that might help you, especially if you have any talents with drawing on paper, would be to use graph paper.  You can draw a normal drawing on graph paper, and then fit it into the grid, effectively creating an outline for a sprite.  This was one of the methods I used when I was learning to sprite.  Eventually I learned how to directly take what I imagined and make a sprite with it.

Another thing that helped me learn to sprite was mimicry, which in my case targeted Pok√©mon sprites.  It's not something that should be used in a game, but splicing, recoloring, and reconstructing then gave me the ability to recreate the techniques I used with my original artwork.  So I think that, for now, it's permissible for you to experiment with other people's artwork, in preparation for making your own from scratch to use in your games.

legodude2222

Thank you. I will keep working on it.

bonechill

Good job on this art, keep up the good work.
Play Gold Hunter on Kongregate, Newgrounds, or Stencyl Arcade

legodude2222

Good job on this art, keep up the good work.
Thanks. I'm going to try to keep this style going for my game (If i finish it)

israes

Looks Great pal! keep working on it!
he looks like a 21st Century man. May be he must use a shotgun instead!  8)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:17:38 pm by israes »
_ _
Israel Estrada
Player Since 1990

legodude2222

I'd rather not give him a shotgun because i feel that it would make the game too easy with him just shooting around. I want it more melee based. But thanks for the input! :)

Since everyone made their own rendition of your character, I guess I decided too as well.  I thought your guy needed more contrast (the dark blue pants with the lighter blue shirt blend a little too much) so I changed his pants to a khaki color.  Your character reminds me of Drake from Uncharted, it really inspired me to do some art.  This art is probably too big for your game so consider it as fan art.  :)

miaubian

nice :) how do you do the animations? it looks really smooth.