Dialog Extension General Discussion

Leaufai

Well I tried it out and I'm even more impressed than I was before. It's so versatile and easy to use. Will definitely be using this for my Stencyl Jam game.

Quick question: is it possible to have multiple sounds for the typing sound? I'm trying to get a realistic typing effect going, but with just one keystroke sound it comes off as fake. If I could set multiple sounds, which the game then randomly chooses for each letter the game types, then that would solve that.

Justin

Not right now. I can add that in in the future.

Concerning updates, I'm probably not going to be updating this extension much for the next week or so. I've been working on it day and night ignoring my education and my health for the past couple of weeks, and this week is going to be a bit of an examination hell at school, so the next update probably won't be until this weekend.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

Leaufai

Great. Take a breather. The extension is great as is and already allows tons of games to be made, even without any further updates.

Justin

Absolutely. Thanks. And this isn't to say that I'm burnt out or anything. On the contrary, finally working with code again for the first time in a long while felt great. But I still have the sense to know when I absolutely can't ignore my classes any longer. Haha.

NGS

This is pretty darn awesome guys.  Great job!

mdotedot

Justin,

My compliments on the code (wish you had used a lot of comments  :D )

I've donated since I believe that your work has to be acknowledged!

I might not even use the system but I will peek into the code from time to time to figure out how you have managed things. At first glance there are a few little 'under-the-hood' calls to things I've not realized were possible! But those could be from the OpenFL branch which I'm not using right now!

Best regards from
M.E.

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Justin

Thank you for donating! It really helps a lot!

If you have questions about the code, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not always there in IRC when it says I am, but I'll get back to you eventually if I'm away. :)

Jon

I actually like the ability to edit externally (since I can use a regular text editor), but do you plan to integrate something in-editor down the line for those who prefer to do things that way?

Justin

Yeah, I'd eventually like an editor if only because the syntax might be confusing or it could be difficult to remember what arguments to pass for each command. Especially for one of the more confusing ones, like those that involve Stencyl attributes, like <setattr scenebhv "Atmosphere" "Rain Level" .13>.

Justin

Updated the extension to v1.0.1.

Notable Updates:
- Can use BitmapFonts directly. Get AngelCode's BitmapFont Generator to take advantage of it. This can be used to create your own custom pixel fonts. (Either learn the AngelCode format and do it manually, or create a ttf for your font. I'll probably make it easier later.) Create a pixel TTF
- Support for spaceless languages like Chinese and Japanese.
- Works for scaled games.
- Options that only appear in the choice window if a certain condition is met
- saytoscene, saytoactor, now include an “args” argument
- Added property “destroy_tween” to windows.
- Can have multiple type sounds, which will be played at random.
- New preference for Dialog Options: inactiveTime (number of milliseconds before input is accepted)
- All "Textbox Scripts" prefs moved to "Dialog Base". Textbox Scripts was removed.

What needs to be changed?
- Replace the "dialog" folder in the extensions directory.

- <option ["Text" "DG" "Text 2" "DG 2"]>
is now
<option [
["Text 1" "DG 1" (condition)]
["Text 2" "DG 2" (condition)]
["Text 3" "DG 3" (condition)]
]>
with (condition) being optional.

Also you can use <choice ..> instead of <option ...> if you prefer.

- <saytoscene "Behavior Name" "Message">
is now
<saytoscene "Behavior Name" "Message" [Arg1 Arg2 ....]>
<saytoactor> changed in the same way. The args are optional.

- Windows defined in "windows.txt" also have a "destroy_tween" property now.

- "xx.prefs.txt", move everything under "Textbox Scripts" to "Dialog Base"

- "xx.prefs.txt", add "inactiveTime" pref to "Dialog Options"

I've added conditional dialog options, tweening, and some Japanese text to the demo.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:00:37 am by Justin »

FortySe7en

Really impressive.
Might make some (more story driven) game concepts more appealing to approach now!

Justin

Thanks. :)

I've started work on a Toolset Extension for this. It's pretty barebones right now, it just allows editing of a few of the text files. Dialog, Fonts, Windows, Tweens, and Macros. I'll get to adding the Prefs file soon.

[link removed - download from the site for the most up to date version]

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:27:08 pm by Justin »

Leaufai

Can't get it to work. What version of Java do I need?

Justin

That's unfortunate. I'm probably exporting it wrong. Had a lot of problems first setting it up, and ended up going with java 6. It looks like I can safely export for java 5 now. I'll try to clean it up and get it updated soon, hopefully it'll work. I don't always know what I'm doing when it comes to Java versions and building code... hah. >_<