Hand Drawn Unfinished Artwork

gamegirlxl

Here is a photo I took (and watermarked...just to be safe) recently of my artwork.  Although it's unfinished, I though it'd be worth sharing because I've spent a lot of time on it.  It's a still life, drawn in pencil.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks that I should try to do this sort of art semiprofessionally (as in for money), and maybe take requests.  Although I'm not sure how that would work...  Would I mail it?  With the amount of time that it takes to make this sort of art, I'd probably ask a high price.

So...  Thoughts?

miaubian

the image is way too blurry.

but if you get requests and get payed a good price do it if you want. i know some people who draw
for moneys, but only portraits and caricatures. are you good at portraits?

something like this: http://marvinlorenzcaricatures.blogspot.de

thats a friend of mine, i am studying graphic design with him.

gamegirlxl

I think it was blurry because I took a picture of it.  I think that a tripod would be useful, but it's unfinished and I was in a bit of a rush (and I don't carry tripods around with me).  Try to ignore the blur, because it's not really the point here, and focus on the actual artwork.

I don't really like caricatures, and I don't think I'd be too good with them anyways.

miaubian

i cant say anything about the technique because its blurry, but the shading looks good. hm and its still life, thats not something i hang on my wall. but maybe someone else.

but like a said, people want a drawing of themselves for their grandmother, a drawing of their dog, stuff like this. at least if you work on commission.
they send you a photo and you redraw it.

or you do some drawings and ask a local gallery to sell it.

gamegirlxl

I'll try to get a better picture, like maybe a closeup of the flower (you might want to try opening the picture in a new window, I don't think it expands).  I have two more pictures of the drawing (although they're basically identical), but they're earlier pictures (well, about 45 minutes earlier), so they aren't as finished as the one I posted.

I might scan my drawing, but I'm not going to bother until it's finished.

I think I'd rather draw animals than people (I usually draw people anime style, which doesn't fit too well with the style I used in the still life).

I haven't looked into galleries, but that might be a good option.  And aside from living room artwork, I can imagine businesses, specifically those marketing a good, may be interested in what basically is a still life.  I would also sort of consider those drawings of buildings sort of like a still life.  I can't imagine finding the connections to pull that off, though.

Vectrex71

Can't see anything because of 34674386 Watermarks :-( Ts Ts!

gamegirlxl

Can't see anything because of 34674386 Watermarks :-( Ts Ts!

I may have over done it. :P

miaubian

watermarks? i dont see any  :P

(i can delete it if you want)

if you want to do stuff for businesses build up a portfolio and send it to advertising agencies. most illustrators do this and work as freelancer.

gamegirlxl

I purposefully made (well, the website I used made) the watermarks small so that it wouldn't interfere with the overall drawing, but plentiful enough so that you can't simply crop them out.

I can tell that you are good with Photoshop.  I realize that it is possible to spend some time like you have, healing the watermarked areas with patch healing and blending and such.  I have experience with Photoshop, myself.  As long as you don't post it elsewhere, you can keep the fixed image up here.

And since I do have experience with Photoshop, I was considering Photoshopping (well, I don't actually have access to Photoshop right now, but I've worked with other tools) the finished image to get rid of blemishes that come with scanning and do a general touch up.  I've actually done this before (it was a Pokémon drawing), because I decided to draw on lined paper.  I have it posted somewhere on the web (can't remember where), and I can dig up the picture from my account on some image upload site (the one with a yellow frog).

Although this is the first time I'm sharing art on Stencyl, I do have a bit of experience with a variety of different types, although I've drawn mostly Pokémon in the past.  But in any case, I've done pixel, vector, and Photoshop styled graphics.  As far as "studio" art, I have done lots with colored pencils, but I've experimented with crayon, marker, graphite pencils, and even pastels a little bit.  I've really focused on developing my talents with computer art (well, most recently, I've been focusing on programming), because I want to develop games for a living, so it's amazing how well I'm doing with studio art.  I haven't been doing much in the way of hand drawings, but I've gotten vastly better anyways.  It could just be that I'm older or whatever.

Also, I've taken several more photos, and there are some that seem to be clearer than the one I have here, and they show the progress I'm making.  Once I can get on my Mac, I'll see about uploading them.

miaubian

took me 1 minute :D

its always good to try different stuff. you are more flexible that way.

and i dont think you need watermarks for those pictures. i never use them. just keep the resolution under print size. so no one can make money with it. and if they claim its their own work you can find it via google images

gamegirlxl

I guess I'm remembering a time when I was younger, and tried to use paint to remove the watermark of something I wanted to put in a school project.  The result was terrible, but I spent maybe two minutes on it.

I guess with better tools, more experience (than I had then), and lower standards than what I have now (you have higher standards for your own projects), it wouldn't take as long.

I might try putting a "watermark" in the photo when I take it, with just a slip of paper on it.  I'll also take one without that paper.

Personally, I think that the best way to establish ownership (well, on the internet, when the artist still has the piece) is to ask the artist to retake the piece with something unique on top.  Like a phone (especially one showing you logged in), which would be hard to fake.  Although, using an image search is better for hindsight.

I'm being lazy, I realize I was going to post the stuff a while ago, but I still need to do it.  I can post directly from my iPhone, so I'll see about doing that at some point.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:36:23 am by gamegirlxl »