Crazy Golf

RandomJibberish

Since I suck at keeping going with big projects, I've started something more simple in the last week or so.

Game Page

It's a side view physics based golf game. Eventually it will be expanded to the full 18 holes, with more gameplay mechanics and tilesets. If anyone has any interesting suggestions for obstacles or enviroments, as well as changes to the general gameplay, I'd love to hear them :P

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:49:14 pm by RandomJibberish »

Epic428

Error in Always for behavior: Scroll around menu.
ERROR: null object

That would explain the lag, frame rate drops to about 30- as a result.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:05:30 pm by Epic428 »
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

RandomJibberish

Ah, I thought I'd disabled that, but apparently not.

Uploading a fix in a momento

Epic428

You should also add in a check to see if the x velocity of the ball is below a certain range, and if so set it to zero. I mention this because a couple levels I got a Hole in One just by waiting a minute or two for the ball to very slowly roll into the hole.
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Darkhog

Wonderful game!
@Epic428: It's not a bug, it's a feature.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:09:36 pm by darkhog »

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Hectate

It's a nice take on it. I did quite a lot less with physics in Hamsterball Golf, so it'll be interesting to see what you can do with them.

I did think that the ball was really sluggish, especially in the air. You'll want to tweak the physics some. Most interestingly - you're not allowed to hit the ball more times than par?

And Epic's comment about the movement, I had to do something similar, but beware because it can defeat slope's purpose (causing the ball to roll off).
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Jon

A solid job so far. I echo the two comments about a minimum velocity below which you sleep and tweaking the "power" aspect of it to match expectations (it's too weak).

I would draw a line between the ball and the cursor arrow as a usability improvement.

Also, a double-birdie is called an Eagle and a triple-birdie is called an Albatross.

RandomJibberish

I'm having some trouble drawing the line from the ball to the cursor. This is in the "hit the ball" snippet that deals with hitting the ball and drawing the arrow.

I've probably overlooked something or misunderstand how drawing works - where have I gone wrong?

Joe

I believe drawing coordinates have to be in screen coordinates, rather than Scene coordinates. The mouse coordinates are fine, but you have to change the x-center blocks.

Also, this is unrelated, but instead of having <<firing> = <true>>, you could just use <firing>.

Hectate

Actually, I think the issue is that it's ACTOR space, rather than scene or screen space. I had a similar issue with the progress bars in Tectonic Shift (for collecting the gems) where it wasn't until I set it to 0 that I discovered that it was actor space.

Try setting it to be from originating from half the width/height of self and the destination being "X/Y of Self - X/Y of mouse". That should give you the correct drawing I believe.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Joe

Actually, I think the issue is that it's ACTOR space, rather than scene or screen space. I had a similar issue with the progress bars in Tectonic Shift (for collecting the gems) where it wasn't until I set it to 0 that I discovered that it was actor space.

Try setting it to be from originating from half the width/height of self and the destination being "X/Y of Self - X/Y of mouse". That should give you the correct drawing I believe.

Oh, is this an Actor Behavior? I bet you're right. Good call.

Cyclone

In terms of stuff to add, and keep in mind I haven't played it yet, but a Windmill is a must on any mini-golf course. :)

Cyclone

Alexin

I'm having some trouble drawing the line from the ball to the cursor. This is in the "hit the ball" snippet that deals with hitting the ball and drawing the arrow.

I've probably overlooked something or misunderstand how drawing works - where have I gone wrong?

If that's an actor behavior, then the origin is the top-left corner of the actor (actor space). The actor's position, [x-center] and [y-center], is in scene space, while [x of mouse] and [y of mouse] are in screen coordinate.

Use the pen to convert from one space to another.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

RandomJibberish

Thanks everyone, I stuck a switch to screen space block and it all worked fine. And of course a windmill will turn up at some point, Cyclone :P

I've published again, with the suggested improvements to the physics and the line to the arrow. New levels will probably come in the next couple of days.

EDIT: And uploaded again with fixes for stuff pointed out by Blob and Irock on IRC

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:32:44 pm by RandomJibberish »

RandomJibberish

I'm in the process of making level 7 (The Windmill) and am running into an issue. The sails of the windmill are created and rotated in a snippet attached to the body of the windmill, but the ball doesn't collide with them. Any ideas as to why? They are in the same collision group as the body which collides fine, and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be working.

The game's on forge for anyone to take a look.