When you hit the wall...

Jay123

Take a break !!!
Just spent the last 2 weeks not doing much except the things i like to do in my spare time. Now i feel refreshed and will be back into it in a few days game development sure isn't an easy thing as you need be a jack of all trades if you have a limited budget and need to get things done. Game Design, Story telling, Graphics, Music, Sfx, Coding, Websites, Blogs, promotion etc. Oh and the game needs to be fun !

If you've hit the wall do youself a favour and have a break ! it helped me and i know it can help you
 :)

I feel like i'm stuck in groundhog day - same code, same pc, same shite... no retreat, no surrender yaa !!!

irock

I'd recommend not taking this advice, because everyone's different. I find that if I take a break from working, it's incredibly hard to start again.

Jay123

yes perhaps 2 weeks is extreme but in my case i needed it or i was close to crash and burn :P maybe a few days is better in most cases to refresh, reboot and go again but i know what you mean it's going to be hard getting back in but i find for myself once i start again i'm ok and go at it fairly hard

I feel like i'm stuck in groundhog day - same code, same pc, same shite... no retreat, no surrender yaa !!!

irock

I've had an extended weekend break my flow. I think working on your game every day, even if it's just a little, is a good idea. So instead of taking a break, you could simply do less demanding work.

h1rnz1lla

another option is to have multiple projects running, so you can switch between them when you got stuck on one.

Innes

Taking a break definitely works for me. When I finished my book, I don't think I touched Stencyl for a few weeks!
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

irock

Taking a break definitely works for me. When I finished my book, I don't think I touched Stencyl for a few weeks!
Well, in that case you're not actually taking a break from a project, so there's no danger. I always take breaks after I finish games and it's not a problem since starting a new project is always easy.

Alexin

What bothers me the most is switching context too often. I don't mind a small break, but switching between projects can spell disaster in a worst case scenario.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Warzone Gamez

I've had an extended weekend break my flow. I think working on your game every day, even if it's just a little, is a good idea. So instead of taking a break, you could simply do less demanding work.
That's probably the best advice... Taking a break in somthing your not forced to do,  usually ends in bad habits of your time with whatever you were working on.

One time, I just finished a game, so I took a few days off, then I took a couple more days off... Ect... For almost a month! And when I finnally got back... My work wasn't consistent.  It was easy for me to keep skipping doing it because I got use to skipping a couple days. To be honest... From that month I took off, I still haven't gotten back to a very good habit of my time with Stencyl.

So, taking a break is a good thing, because you need time to get the stress out of your head. But, it's easy to over-use it... So when you take a break, be careful about it.

Did it make sense to you guys or did I not explain it well?

another option is to have multiple projects running, so you can switch between them when you got stuck on one.
No!!!! Never do that! I've tried.... 1 project becomes a priority, and you forget about the other one or don't do much work with it and it ends up a terrible game!!! My experience with doing that ALWAYS ends up pretty bad... You can't work seriously hard on 2 projects at a time, there's only 1 game that your going to work hard on... Also, it's very stressful.

Differant people are differant... It might work well with you, but it doesn't work well with me... This is just my opinion. If you can do it like that, good for you, you probably can get more done quicker.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:15:26 am by Warzone Gamez »
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267

Jay123

Thanks for all your input guys taken it all on-board as many have said we are all different and do what works best for ourself's i think in the future i'll try not to take such a long break as it is distracting and hard to get back into. I think taking a good 2 or 3 weeks break after finishing a project is probably the best idea but i guess sometimes enough is enough and better take that long break than crash and burn and maybe not recover.

Warzone Gamez

One time, I hit a wall with my face at Wal-mart, and chipped my tooth. That kinda hurt.
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267

Innes

One time, I hit a wall with my face at Wal-mart, and chipped my tooth. That kinda hurt.

The advice is to take a break when you hit a wall, and you broke a tooth. So you followed the advice. Problem solved.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

Stevetheipad

I'd recommend not taking this advice, because everyone's different. I find that if I take a break from working, it's incredibly hard to start again.
Every person is different so I recommend not discounting or automatically accepting this advice. Think about yourself so you can make yourself the most productive as possible.