(WIP Demo) Small Squad

Hectate

I've been piddling around with this for a little and I felt like it was time to show a little work. The main restrictions I gave myself here were 1. 16x16 tile and actor size, and 2. CGA color palette (16 colors and transparency).

Play the Small Squad WIP Demo

You can move the squad members with either the arrow keys or by clicking on the scene somewhere with the mouse. The camera isn't independent of them yet - and there's no pathfinding (or even always simulate, hah) - so don't go too far over obstacles. If you press Z they will cycle between the 4 available formations.

They'll automatically target and shoot enemies when close enough - a new enemy spawns at the front door of the building every 5 seconds in case you feel like hanging out.

Things to do:
More tileset work (more tiles, correct all collision shapes)
Enemy AI (movement, shooting, etc)
Create actual levels (multi-stage missions)
Camera behavior/controls (separate them from the squad members)
Ability to separate squad members and control them individually if desired (with different abilities?)
HUD elements, etc.
blah blah blah

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:10:33 pm by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

redpesto

This is cool. I'd guess Canon Fodder is its main influence? But it could go way beyond that, going inside the buildings would be a nice touch.

Jon

This is a really neat demo. I haven't seen anything like this done with Stencyl before. The concept might actually work really well as an iOS game.

Hectate

This is cool. I'd guess Canon Fodder is its main influence? But it could go way beyond that, going inside the buildings would be a nice touch.
Yes, Cannon Fodder is the primary inspiration for this. Good call on recognizing that. I've got some mission ideas which include interior levels. Not every building would be enter-able, just ones necessary for the mission structure. I've also got some underground (hidden bunkers, for example) levels in mind.

This is a really neat demo. I haven't seen anything like this done with Stencyl before. The concept might actually work really well as an iOS game.
I'd be interested in hearing on how you think so. I can imagine a few things but my development time on this has been so fractured due to my schedule that even the core design isn't complete yet. In fact, the game started as a simple 16x16 CGA sprite - the green camouflage enemy (there are other colors to go with other tilesets). After I created it I sat for a few minutes, looking at it and thinking "What can I do with this?". As noted above, Cannon Fodder came to mind, lol.

And I could be getting a better FPS with this... 20 FPS on this computer. And that's without enemy AI.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

KungFuFurby

All I can think of when seeing this game (though it's not quite a match) is Syndicate for the SNES.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

chaosoul

Good concept! It reminds me of Zelda:Four Swords Adventure single player mode. You had 4 Links exactly the same colors as the 4 soldiers you have and they could switch into various positions. They could also be separated and controlled individually as you have planned.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Hectate

Ahh, I used to have Syndicate Plus (it had additional missions I think?). Loved that game and had forgotten about it. I must be channeling my past, lol.

I've heard of the Four Swords adventure but never played it.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

MyChairHasALooIn

When it's finished will you do credits like this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYuq6Ac3a0