Inspiration from Obama, create it!

irock

Yeah, regardless of whether or not you lavalavalavalavalava lav Obama, this in particular isn't a bad message.

Perhaps the op should have anticipated that there are people who don't like Obama or think he's a horrible person and instead posted all the videos in the series rather than just the Obama one. That would resonate with more people.

Jon

If anybody wants to follow the actual event behind this, it's linked here.

http://csedweek.org/learn

Millions of people participated in some shape or form, and some of the ideas you find here, well, I had the very same ideas years ago.

Specifically, the idea of marrying (a heavily simplified form of) our Design Mode interface with interactive micro projects and instruction is something I've been wanting to do for a long, long time, both in the toolset and directly off the website. Our prospective school customers would gobble this up instantly.

http://learn.code.org/hoc/1

We'll definitely try to be part of this next year.

Stevetheipad

There's definitely a bigger learning curve with Stencyl than tools like Scratch but if you can market that student scan publish their games and make money off them, I think people will be especially interested.

gplar

Just to make it clear... I was a joke... But now i have to defend myself...

You still are. Give it a rest.

This is a great initiative. I wish the Norwegian government would get involved the same way.

Warzone Gamez

I'm glad Obama brought up this topic, and i should have hijacked the tread like that. But I think it would have been better using a popular programmer or entrepreneur like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs's reincarnation or somthing :P ! That would be so cool if they had Steve Jobs reincarnation!!!!
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267

Warzone Gamez

That's cool. I still wish Steve Jobs reincarnated did it though :P . Lol
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267

irock

Well, Bill Gates notoriously knows how to program, whereas I've never found an answer as to whether or not Steve Jobs did (unless I missed that in his biography or something). He certainly didn't do any programming at Apple. However, Jobs has shown that he probably comprehended the logic behind it and he was a technician at Atari back in the day (whatever that entailed), but Bill gates is probably a better fit since he was indeed a heavy programmer. Though I suppose Jobs would have been more relevant to the subject than a politician.

Stevetheipad

Well, Bill Gates notoriously knows how to program, whereas I've never found an answer as to whether or not Steve Jobs did (unless I missed that in his biography or something). He certainly didn't do any programming at Apple. However, Jobs has shown that he probably comprehended the logic behind it and he was a technician at Atari back in the day (whatever that entailed), but Bill gates is probably a better fit since he was indeed a heavy programmer. Though I suppose Jobs would have been more relevant to the subject than a politician.
Agreed. Needless to say, it's also very powerful for a president to support something.

Jon

I think the intent is to get a broad swath of celebrities that people look up to in order to reach the largest audience possible. It's not much about the message as it is the people they roped in to deliver that message. If they only picked out programmers (some who people probably don't even know), it would weaken the overall impact.

gamegirlxl

When I think about Obama and coding, I remember the enormous mess that the healthcare website was in, although I think that has been fixed.  No matter what your political stance, it was horrific execution.

Anyways, I am planning to install Stencyl about 30 times soon.  In case you don't know, I have an internship with an IT department of a larger organization that provides laptops for virtual classrooms (among other things), and I get to decide what extras to put on them.  I'm probably also going to get Audacity, which is nice by itself.  I think that, unlike something like Eclipse (powerful and big, except I don't know how to use it...), Stencyl will probably be picked up by a few of these students, at least, because it is very easy to use.

I think that endorsing Stencyl as a program schools should install on their laptops would be a very good way of introducing it to a large quantity of people.  Actually, the reason why I began programming in Scratch (which lead to my eventual transition into Stencyl) was because it was introduced to me through a short summer course.