Edge Detection error, preventing me from running my game!

HiddenAether

So when i try to test my game i get the following error in the image down below, I also tried using the regular edge detection and still no luck. Any help on how to resolve this?

Thank you,
Will Wallace

SpookyBurger

If you provide a screenshot of the behavior the error msg is referring too ppl will be able to help you better :)
Please try out my latest build of Patient 9 here.   http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/23179

Dax85

that error simply means you forgot a ")" right parentesi somewhere in the code. Check the line it says and add it ;P

gamegirlxl

that error simply means you forgot a ")" right parentesi somewhere in the code. Check the line it says and add it ;P

Not always.  Sometimes another error in your code will trick the compiler.  It might appear when you have missing or bad data in a Stencyl block, because I think I remember getting similar errors when I was only using Stencyl blocks.

People who use (not just copy/paste, either) AS3 coding (or any other "real" coding language) usually know how to fix this sort of error, because it's fairly common.  So I think that the solution depends on what sort of code you have (Stencyl blocks, copy/pasted text code, or your own text code).

Hectate

The problem is that the ! character is special in code in that it means "not". As in != is the same as "not equal". As you can see from the message there is an "!ERROR!" inside of the function for the keypress and the compiler things you're trying to say "Not ERROR Not" when it expects you to close the function instead (with a right parenthesis character).

The behavior that you have your keypresses in; did you configure it to use controls or perhaps forget to put control key blocks in the "if key [blank] is down" blank area? Notice that the error message mentions "fields empty or containing bad data"?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gamegirlxl

The behavior that you have your keypresses in; did you configure it to use controls or perhaps forget to put control key blocks in the "if key [blank] is down" blank area? Notice that the error message mentions "fields empty or containing bad data"?

That's the sort of error I suspected (since I doubt that he's coding in AS3), and I think it can occur with most of the blocks when you forget to fill them in or with unexpected syntax/data (which may be compiled anyways, because the AS3 compiler may accept that syntax).

DariusSlayer

Here's a really simple way of going about this, and this is how I did it for Final Warrior.  Create an actor that only the enemies can touch/detect upon collision while those same enemies have the "Patrol" behavior added on them.  Done and done :D