Game freezing browser

DeathWish

I made a game, but it doesn't seem to work on browsers. It works offline (When I press Test Game), but when uploaded (Stencyl.com or Kongregate), it just freezes your browser, making you need to force quit it. And it's not my computer, it happened to other people as well. I'm not sure if this was on the rest of the forum, I couldn't find it though. And for browsers, it happened on both Internet Explorer and Chrome. Any help? :/
(The project is http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/6304, enter at your own risk, it'd probably make you need to force-quit your browser)

DeathWish

Justin (From Stencyl Chat, I'm supposing his username is the same on here) was helping me and made a version of it without background music, and it worked. Any chance that was the problem? :/
EDIT: And on top of that, the project works on the homepage (No music), and freezes when the music is supposed to start :/

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:45:00 pm by DeathWish »

Sunflower

I'm not sure if this was a problem, but:
 - apparently SWF exported to test game and SWF exported to general play are quite different; it happened to my game, too, but I wasn't using music and it didn't freeze, it was just buggy instead
 - if you don't know what the problem is, it's most likely the background music; I don't know, maybe file was too big or it wasn't exactly supported type (44100Hz mp3 should work fine... should)

So yes, how big is this file? O.o

DeathWish

It was 6 megabytes, but I took out the music, and it went down A LOT. :P But it works now :D

chaosoul

..... 6 whole megabytes? Can't you compress that. I tried the music version and it only froze after clicking start so I can confirm its the music.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Sunflower

I guess it's quite difficult to compress that without losing some of its quality. The best way I can think of is making the file mono rather than stereo, as long as difference between channels isn't too noticeable. Decreasing the frequency rate could also be helpful.

I mean, as long as Stencyl supports mono and lower frequency rate, but it may not be true. O.o So it's better to check, just in case. ^^'

(yes, we're all waiting for something which lets us use something else than mp3, because, to be honest, mp3 in games sucks -. -.')

KungFuFurby

Originally, back when Stencyl was using Java, the games used .ogg files instead of .mp3 files.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

HNF

It's possible to stream music from a remote file. This saves local space.