How to make a sprite

Trey3033

Hey! I'm Trey3033, New to Stencyl and I was wondering if anyone could 1. Make me sprites for my game (Credit will be given) or 2.Help me make sprites. (Better option) I am running Windows XP and I suck at graphic design so...Im looking for online graphic design programs for free that I can use.Any help? Thanks! -Trey3033

gamegirlxl

You usually have to DOWNLOAD a program in order to make stuff with it (is that what you meant by online programs...?...I can't really tell what you mean exactly.)  Paint, although lacking in more complex tools, is good for doing pixel art.  I would suggest not doing vectors, so just do pixel art in Paint, which should already be installed.

Anyways, I learned to sprite by making Pok√©mon recolors and splices (before it all was in 3D, of course).  From those experiences I figured out the patterns that sprites follow.  I can try to give some tips.

-Depending upon how well you draw, you can use graph paper as a template for pixels.  You draw an outline and then fill in the squares.

-Outlines are usually only 1 pixel wide, and black.  When you become more advanced, you will sart shading the outlines.  Also note that smaller sprites (small being less than 16x16) usually don't have outlines.  It's also worth saying that when you make a diagonal line like this: '/' with two pixels, you will only use 2 pixels, since you don't make an 'L' shape out of 3 pixels.

-Think about the slope (steepness, for anyone who doesn't know geometry) of the line that you want to draw.  If I want a slope of 2, I would go up 2 pixels for each one I went over.  And with curves, the slope constantly changes throughout.  (Although I am currently in AP Calculus in school, I developed this method around the time I was taking Geometry.  Not everyone is able to think as fluidly as I am with math, though, but I use this method to make good sprites directly on the computer.)

Those are just a few detailed tips, although it's hard to describe graphics with words.  And there's some people who aren't cut out for doing graphics, but instead decide to focus on coding or music instead, and they hire (not always for money) people to do the graphics.  You'll usually have more success getting sprites if you state exactly what you need.  While needing a certain sprite sheet is easy, if you need graphics for the entire game, it takes a lot more dedication on the part of the artist.

Trey3033

Thanks gamegirlxl but I guess as you say I'm not exactly "Cut Out" for graphic design... I can program in 11 diffrent coding syntax's but thats no use if I have no graphics...What im making is more of a top-down shooter and what I need currently is a char some enemies and bullets...is there anyplace you can direct me towards to find these?

illuminist

Free graphic tools I would recommend is GIMP and Paint.NET. GIMP is almost alternative to Photoshop but not awesome as. Paint.NET is an improve version to Microsoft Paint.

And if you don't like to create art for yourself. Check this http://opengameart.org/

And tips for programmer doing art. I'm a programmer who's not so good at art. But I do art for myself and keep it as simple as possible. One of my favorite programmer doing art is JMTB02. He got awesome game design and its mechanic. But he still keep his game art simple. So this still make his game awesome.

Also if you claim to be doing well in programming. Try to make complex game mechanic and concept to fulfill place of lacking art.

gamegirlxl

...a char some enemies and bullets...

Do bullets REALLY need to be detailed...?  There are so many games that use a black dot as a bullet, which even the most inartistic people should be able to make.  I would assume, as a shooter, most of the graphics you would want to be semi-realistic...But bullets are often so fast that you don't really see what they look like.

Anyways, I guess I'm lucky that I have talent in both Graphic Design and Programming (I lack somewhat in music, though), however, I am somewhat lazy and I often program my way out of using a lot of sprites.  For example, I use tweens.

Trey3033

Yes the bullets need detail... the reason for this is that its goning to be a time only moves when you move type-game. so whenever you move is when your bullets the enemies and their bullets move...

Photon

Also if you claim to be doing well in programming. Try to make complex game mechanic and concept to fulfill place of lacking art.
This doesn't necessarily make up for art. A good game mechanic (though it doesn't have to necessarily be complex) will help the overall product, but that doesn't mean art can be just forsaken.

One of the big things is consistency. Even if your art is "low quality", if its consistent throughout the game it can still look good. Just look at old 8-bit games. I made a game where characters consisted of a single color and/or white (you can see it on my profile if you are interested). Sure, they aren't super fancy, but they can still get the job done.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Trey3033

Okay, That works. I think ill take a couple classes in Graphic Design