Online Multiplayer TicTacToe. [Finished]

SadiQ

Online multiplayer is possible in 3.0. I only tested the flash build for now,and it's probably still buggy. Right now I only have a scene that changes when 2 players join the game.
Happy Holidays to all !

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/23684

[Update:] You can join the game as a guest and take turns while playing. Still needs lots of work so treat it as such.

[Update 2:] Game is finished. You can now choose your name and play versus your opponent.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:28:50 am by SadiQ »
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

colburt187

TwistedIdentity

Looks interesting!!
My Critter Android http://bit.ly/1gJyUs4
TI's FB Page: http://on.fb.me/1ijla4Y
Deadly Space Boss Arena 2: http://goo.gl/KIuowG

Follow me on Twitter: @jettas88

SadiQ

Did some more tests. I started a simple TicTacToe game. Right now I managed to make the players take turns when they click. Doesn't do much else besides that, no win/loose condition and right now when one player leaves it doesn't seem to allow to connect another time without a refresh (mostly because of me).
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

zawrot13

Could You share the whole solution? :)

SadiQ

Could You share the whole solution? :)
I implemented the Nuggeta API.
Is there anything in particular you're interested in?

zawrot13

Thank You, this looks very good. Well, the best would be If You could create the example with the manual but I know that it takes the time. For me, I'm interesting to share the possitions of the players on the same map and send the actors possition for everybody ( like everybody can see what happenes with the map (scene). also the interaction like shot other player etc. As I see, it should be possible using the Nuggeta but if You could create an example with step by step manual how to start it in Stencyl, it would be great for many users.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:03:43 am by zawrot13 »

SadiQ

I'm interesting to share the possitions of the players on the same map and send the actors possition for everybody ( like everybody can see what happenes with the map (scene). also the interaction like shot other player etc.

What I didn't know before trying to make this game is how different you have to make your behaviors in Stencyl to achieve what you want.

For example you can't share the positions of the players, you only send your position to the server (because only the server knows anything about who the clients are) and then make a function to read that position message and display an image (of your enemy) based on those messages. If you have more than one opponent that function gets a little more complicated.
As for the shoot other player...again...you have to make your behavior for only 1 player, because every player runs the same behaviors, so you can't interact with the other players.

I had to make a custom extension for this, but right now I only have 2 blocks for it, and to transform the entire API into an extension I'd end up with over 150 blocks, and even if I'll somehow be able to do it you'd still have to do a lot of manual coding based on the game you want to make.

zawrot13

As i see We need such solution implemented into Stencyl as a part of Stencyl to easy handle this one.

SadiQ

I don't think the Stencyl team will do it because each game would require unique blocks to be created specifically for said game, and since the API is still in beta the coders might fill the forum with questions or requests related to the API.
  Another downside would be the price for using the Nuggeta services. If they suddenly decide to change their plans from free to payed the entire work would suffer since the price for using the Nuggeta API isn't exactly cheap. 
   The only ones that could do it would be the Nuggeta developers themselves.

zawrot13

I know that it is not easy but maybe Jon will decide to create their own online multiplayer service as a part of the extension paid package like for example: studio extreme subscription with online services ?? I dont't know, maybe it could be good step. :) If someone buy the subscription and have a success with the game with the solution, he have to continue the subscription for the next years of the game live. For me, it would be better to have everything in one good place. in other way everything starting to be in the global places like google or apple. I'm sure that Jon know all the possibilities and I hope that we will have all these features builded in Stencyl soon.

rob1221

zawrot, that's definitely not going to happen.  Multiplayer support will be provided by developers who integrate third-party services in extensions.  SadiQ is working with Nuggeta, and I'll be continuing my PlayerIO extension soon to include multiplayer.

zawrot13

ok, but it is very nice to hear that You also work on such solution.

SadiQ

rob1221

Very nice.  Are you planning to make an extension?