3D first person

NobodyX

Made a little demo thingy in a few hours (surprised I didn't get stuck and confused for much longer). THREE DIMENSIONS WHOO
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/23499
use arrow keys to move around

This could be a lot of fun to expand into a game. I uploaded this demo onto forge as "3Dgame". It's made in 3.0 though so if you don't have that I guess you won't find it, sorry. It's pretty simple and not convoluted (yet) but it might not be super easy to understand because I was just making it for myself as opposed to making a kit or anything. But it's there if anyone's curious.

Hectate

And then I got ahold of it and added Z sorting to the billboard sprites and it got all laggy because, well, z-sorting can be terribly inefficient the way I did it. Hah.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gamegirlxl

From my own work in 3D, I can tell, first of all, this isn't true 3D, at least what I think of as 3D.  Because it is simply a 2D plane in perspective, it would probably be very hard to create a map with more than one story.  It would be possible, but very hard to do.

Also, I noticed that the orange trees were always drawn on top, even when green trees should have been in front.  I would assume that you are using this trick to maintain the framerate, but it would utterly fail if you decided to use anything besides a monochromatic (meaning without a gradient or another color) color scheme.  Actually, regardless of that, you wouldn't really be able to track bullets with the system you have here.

It's a good start, all things considered, but it would probably be somewhat useless as a kit because you are missing some key features that are necessary for FPS, but probably too hard for most Stencylers to figure out.

Hectate

First Person Shooters are a subset of First Person games; albeit the most popular. Not every first person game requires shooting.

There's a limitation with the sprite drawing in the Stencyl engine right now so even though I modified it myself to do z ordering, it isn't working properly (layers could be used but the number required would bog down the game).

That said, I could totally make a game out of this. Perhaps I will.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gamegirlxl

Sorry, I added SHOOTER to the end of first person in the title (I'll also admit that I consider Minecraft as somewhat of a FPS, although you really only shoot arrows)...  But in any case, don't forget I've worked a lot with Stencyl and 3D, so I know the fallouts of the system (well, the 2.x version, but I doubt we've regressed).

Anyways, there's a reason that I stopped using Stencyl for 3D...
...dedicated graphics pipeline...
...And I started using C++/OpenGL.  I get no lag in the new languages, although I'm doing roughly the same things.  I really applaud the fact that there's no lag in the demo, although it allows little artistic freedom.

Hmmm....I was planning to use something somewhat similar to layers in my own work.  I planned to have a list of all the sprites (my sprites happened to be polygons that I dynamically drew each frame, which was probably the reason why I had excessive lag) that need to be drawn.  Each entry in the array was to be a list itself, which would first contain the "z sorting" element.  Then, with a simple snippet of real code that list could be sorted in ascending order, preferably only to be sorted when something needs to move.  You would then use the drawing event to draw sprites array[0] to array[end].

Not sure if that would even be possible to do in this case without enormous lag...

NobodyX

Yeah it's a 2d plane but from a first person perspective. It's NOT for making "proper" 3d games or anything that can remotely compete with what things built for 3d can do, but it is funky and scrappy and cool and I like it.

Yeah the orange trees are drawn on top in that little demo because I hadn't made the ordering yet.

This thread was to say "hey I'm making something I think is neat and it's on Forge if you want" and it was not to give a proper kit or anything. Maybe I should have posted it in a different subforum, I dunno. Should I move it to "Game Ideas"? I can do that if that'd be a better fit.

NobodyX

I'm having fun making it crazy and stupid: http://youtu.be/ATn9oET-gf8

Vid's a bit choppy but only the recording itself. It runs smooth (as an exe).