Max's Art

Max Finch

What's up guys? So I'm gonna start a new art thread dedicated to me. (Obviously) I'll just post some new art up as I go and venture around with styles. I haven't gone to art school or anything I've just been doing art for about ~4 years, I'm not amazing but that's why I'm posting here so I can get some (Constructive) feedback and improve it. What I post here is just me playing around with a new style that I'm not yet comfortable with because I feel I need to expand my style. Anyways without further ado I'll post my first screenshot of some art that I did recently. I feel there's a lot I can improve on but I'll see what ya'll think.

This is the moon rising over a snowy/muddy ground. It's supposed to be slightly eerie but not too much if ya feel me. I used a older Wacom Tablet and illustrator to get this. I feel my moon needs a little more detail and my clouds need something... not sure what?

pyxelbit

i think illustrator is maybe not the best tool for this. vector art with a lot of detail and transparency does not work well (at least for me).
maybe try to get rid of the overlapping clouds and if you want to go with vectors.

and feedback regarding the drawing itself:

if you would paint clouds realistically, the would go from the horizon to the top, because the clouds in distance would be closer to the horizon. maybe just do some clouds at the bottom or scatter them around. clouds catch light on the outer part, make them reflect the moonlight. and they need to be nearly the some color of the sky.

the moon does not "shine", and most of the time its lit quite flat. and its a bit yellowish when it rises. maybe add some craters.

and when the sun goes down you can still see some light at the horizon.

i did a quick paintover with the mouse, but maybe it can illustrate this a bit better. i hope thats ok, otherwise i can delete the image.

Max Finch

Yeah that all makes sense. I'm very comfortable with illustrator but not so much with anything else. I should probably start dipping into photoshop more.

Hey Max!  First off I have to say your games are really inspiring!  I love following your work.

I did a rough concept of your design in Illustrator using vectors.  It's not exactly what you were going for, but  I did more of a science fiction theme with the concept you had... but you can grasp the idea of textures, gradients, and light using vectors. I just think you need play around more with brushes, layers and transparency.

-Illustrator brushes are great for getting that texture, set it at a low opacity.
-Use layers with different opacities and transparencies really bring out detail and highlights.

Your art is definitely good, but if you're looking to redefined the concept with more detail, play with these.  My art teacher always told me draw what you see not what you know.  Look outside or at pictures and study the moon.   

I can also give you Illustrator file if you want to look over it, just pm me.

Max Finch

I'm glad my games inspire you, that means a lot. I like it a lot, it's a bit too detailed for me though. What I'm going for is something lile this. I like the painted/sketchiness of it. Btw this is love, hate and the other ones. Very great game if yoi haven't played

EDIT: I'm killing myself over going hand drawn art. I think I'm just gonna have to put it on hold for a while. But I might try silhouette art?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:58:04 pm by Max Glockling Games »

Max Finch

Nice very Limbo like!

pyxelbit

actually its inspired by mewgenics. but its limbo-like, you are right.

i really like that style, volleyball game with cats anyone? :D

irock

The Mewgenics inspiration is very strong.

I'd make the ear borders the same size as the body borders.

gfalcaor

Follow Me