Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Space Pirate (Feb 2017 demo available)

aeklad

Darn this game is amazing!  Great look, great sound, great feel,  It has a very nostalgic, gooey, tactile feel that early 32 bit games had .   You've put a lot of quality work into this and it shows.

Bombini

Thanks aeklad!
I appreciate it  :)

Current status is that we are working on the levels:

Bombini

New communication system is in (actors you talk to are insivible in this example):

Bombini

I advanced the system quite a bit.

It is easy to configure now and supports:
  • Changes actors in level and portrait depending on who is speaking
  • Multiple different characters (the pink dot is Josea for example)
  • Audiolog, dialogue or radio signal (when not face to face)

Bombini

I advanced the system to its almost final state.
I have now multiple characters involved in one conversation (change in motion state and dialogue popup).
On the right you see the advanced upgrade terminal:

merrak

Dialogue system looks good so far!

fillergames

Will there ever be a chance for the text to scroll an draw in real-time? As that's isn't as hard as some think is to make.

Otherwise, it looks pretty nice.

Bombini

Thanks!
I would have to research how to do that because i have no clue ;)
But it would be nice!

fillergames

I can help, if needed, as I have a game that does the text scrolling thing.

It involves:

• A game attribute (list or text) to store text
  • Another game attribute to store what position the text is currently in (X-axis), and another for what row of text it belongs in.

Basically, it stores text through a game attribute, and then draws the characters on screen from the start of the text, to the current character it has reached.

The NPCs can probably use a bool-based function to change the text every couple seconds (contact with an NPC could set a variable like "able to speak" to true), when that bool goes true, it increases character in text drawn, then sets to false, and then when it goes false, after a bit (maybe 0.16 seconds), it goes true and repeats.

But. If character in text drawn reaches the length of the text string, it stops the recursive code, and lets you talk to the NPC again.

Now, here's a snippet of code that tells the game how to lower the Y axis of drawn text: (note the censored bool was a test variable to see if it worked right)

This works that if the text has gotten too long, it saves the current location of character in text drawn, and uses that to continue another row of text to draw from the start of the saved location, to the character in text drawn, it simply just lowers the Y-position and keeps drawing more.

And note, I have a simple check to see if the text is going to run into blank space on the next row, it simply removes the space, and draws without it. Causing the line to not look misaligned compared to the one above. You could probably also use some sort of internal scripting to determine when the lines should move down manually, but that's out of my skill range for coding.

Bombini

Thanks a lot for that great input!
I will first finish the current content and look into it soon.
Cheers!

Bombini

Gameplay recording of the first test with the new dialogue system and goal system in space. Still rough but already a lot of fun :)

Space Pirate - Goldspace Story Prototype - Indie DB

Bombini

Hi guys,

i need your feedback please.
I realised while creating levels that it would be much more interesting if rooms would uncover when the player enters them. Nothing new and standard for a lot of games but i didnt had the impression yet that it would add much and i didnt had the time yet. Both could look much nicer obviously ;)

Please let me know if you like TEST1 or TEST2 or would not do somethint like that at all.

TEST1 (uncover a room when the player enters it):

TEST2 (add some sort of player view system):

Thanks!

Crovaxus17

I think for your game's style one room at a time  works better (Test1), though I am not sure how corridors would work. Also, how did you do Test2? I have been thinking about adding something like that to my game, but all the ways I've gotten it to work slow down performance a lot.

squeeb

Test 1 looks great!  I think it's more emersive. And goes with your game quite well
I do like test 2.. not quite sure how or Where to use it though for your game

iii

Personally, I'd go with "Test 1".

The way I would do it is, I'd make only the 'locked' room are covered.
Then the room stays uncovered after player already unlocked it.

It will increase the player's curiosity.
"I wonder what's in this locked room. I need to find the key!!"
It also give an element of surprise and mystery.

Perhaps, you can play a strange mysterious sound whenever player goes near the locked room.
To entice them.
Maybe when player try to open it without a key,
pop-up a message like :
[Its locked. A tapping sound can be heard behind the door.]
or
[Its locked. A faint reddish light can be seen at the corner of the room.]

This will add a bit of excitement to the game, instead of just a normal cover uncover thing.

I'd avoid Test 2.

It may annoy a lot of people after a while.
It looks pretty much like in 3D First-Person game, where a lot of surrounding objects keeps popping-in.
It kills the mood. Really breaks the immersion.
To some, it can make it feel like the game is unoptimized and very slow in loading the surrounding.
I think its a very bad design choice.

Just my 2 cents.