Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Space Pirate (June 2017 demo available)

Bombini

Thanks a lot guys!
I also prefer number 1.
I really like your ideas iii! I will play around with that. Thanks!

So how did i do test2?
My math skills are low and i am struggeling using raycasting. I used a very simple and stupid idea how to realize it. The player is firing actors when moving. Those actors move and remove tiles which are on the "fog layer" (in this case layer 1).

Please dont laugh but i wanted to do a quick test and performenace is good (see code attached).
Cheers!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:24:59 am by Bombini »

merrak

Test 1 seems like the best fit to me, too. Somehow the raycasting approach didn't seem right.

I like the quick test :D. I don't think it is as far removed from the real thing as you might be thinking, but I wouldn't use either in a tile based game. If you were to do something like Test 2, I'd use Bresenham's line algorithm, which can be implemented using the Tile API and is far simpler and quicker than raycasting.

Crovaxus17

So how did i do test2?
My math skills are low and i am struggeling using raycasting. I used a very simple and stupid idea how to realize it. The player is firing actors when moving. Those actors move and remove tiles which are on the "fog layer" (in this case layer 1).

Please dont laugh but i wanted to do a quick test and performenace is good (see code attached).

No mockery here! I too am not great at math. I like your quick solution! Thanks for sharing.

@merrak
Bresenham's line algorithm, huh? I'll check it out. Thanks!

Bombini

Me to Merrak thanks!

Bombini

Hi guys,

see below a recording of the final dialogue system  and the room uncover system in action.
Cheers!

Crovaxus17

I love it. I really like what you are doing with these lo-res graphics. Looks great!

Bombini

Thanks!
I am happy how it turns out...also i realized that i am able to do pixel art all of a sudden i like (even though its super simple) ;)
Cheers!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:33:21 pm by Bombini »

Bombini

Hôla Space Pirateros!

i am currently desining level after level, implementing new enemies, mysteries and polishing the game.
Here is a rework of an older level for example:

Have a great day!

Bombini

I just compiled a new PC demo you can check out:

This is the first demo featuring first parts of the story with a ton of new features shown in the last videos.
It feels very different compared to the previous versions and i am very proud of it.

-- Change-log: --
+ Implemented new dialogue system (dialogue with NPC's)
+ Added covered rooms and a system which uncovers them
+ Finetuned legendary enemies (stronger attack and more health)
+ Added super tough, slow enemy (big worm) and let it spit slime
+ Adjusted door riddle system to a modular system
+ Changed loot system to bioplasma system
+ Changed energy core system and removed fuel
+ Advanced medium robot boss
+ Added more furniture
+ Added scrypted scene mechanic
+ Added airlock mechanic

Bombini

Building those levels...puh.. ;)
Four levels out of 19 done.

Greets!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:58:13 am by Bombini »

Bombini

The dust planet is taking shape :)

Bombini

The captain said: "It's not what it looks like..."

colburt187

whats this some kind of cloning factory? XD

Bombini

Definitely some transforming going on ;)

Oh and i have to bring this up. I am from Germany and i know a lot folks including me having problems spelling "definitely".
There is this super fun website i run into everytime: http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
Just a side note,
Cheers :)

Bombini

hi guys,
I wanted to give you guys a more general update.

I am working my way through the content of the game. Doing level by level. Painting, animating, coding, desinging. All based on the framework of a written stroyline. The progress is steady and i am happy with it. I still aim for end of this year to be kind of finished. Half of the levels are designed and i am finetuning them. I still have to paint and code a lot of NPC's but i first want to get the levels done and see if the ideas of levels work. Each level should have a unique little element which surpises the player.

The tonality of the game is not a twin stick shooter anymore. There are much more calmer parts with visual storytelling. I decreased the times you are a combat situation even though the combat system is fun. Rather focus on challenges in between.
The look feel got also a bit more "serious". A bit. Mainly because my pixel art skills improved and also because it suits the story and feel better.

Example blob (early left - today right):

To me it feels like the game i wanted to make. To me it feels also like a wonderful basis on which you could build another game on afterwards. Basically using the system to create a more RPG heavy game. Lets see.

I am still experimenting with the levels which take place on the planets.
I created a small prototype which lets you play a shuttle and not the human character.
But i will turn this rather into another game after i am done with this.

How would i time box this project?
First postings go back to January 2014. I would consider 2014-2016 as learning Stencyl, learning how to set up system which scale (very important), learning pixel art basics, learning animation and advancing pacing in level design. I started 2017 working on the real content, having found a writer which works with me. I always considered writing as one of the most important skills which i could not cover good enough.

Release?
Still planned for 2017 and i dont see why this should not happen. It has to happen because i want to work on new games :)

Take care!